PDA

View Full Version : Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices

The Lawspeaker
10-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3836296181471292925#)

What are the low prices of Walmart costing not only America, but the entire world?

The Lawspeaker
10-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Click on the link. The embedding didn't work so well.

Cato
10-03-2010, 04:39 AM
What are the low prices of Walmart costing not only America, but the entire world?

Does anyone else who works at said evil and soulless company like I do care to answer?

The answer is: that WM does no more than any other company in a capitalist or semi-capitalist country does (i.e. act in a predatory fashion to get customers and bury the competition), but is more effective at it due to the global reach, and 500 billion dollar a year profit, of Sam Walton's legacy.

People say WM sells shit products, but how many people here actually shop there and have the perception to look for something other than the cheapest price label on the shelf? WM sells cheap crap, because that's what people want (when WM actually sells decent stuff if you want to pay the extra cost for it); the last TV I bought there was a frigging Samsung, and I knew I was paying extra for it, but it didn't matter.

Debaser11
10-03-2010, 04:54 AM
It's not Walmart's fault, per se. They have business practices that harm our country. But they are not the devil. They are doing what just about any company would do. The problem with our consumer culture lies with our public's sensibilities which Walmart is merely a reflection of, for the most part.

I don't like shopping there not because it's "evil" but because it's a ghetto third world inside the one by my home.

Austin
10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Walmart is a company that sells cheap stuff made in China in a global market world. I think most people just dislike the modern globalist reality of large companies whatever they may be and see Walmart as an easy target.

What major international company can anybody name that doesn't use third world cheap labor? Zero zero and zero they don't/can't exist anymore.

Aemma
10-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Nahh Wal-Mart IS truly evil. Sorry Pall. :(

It's like a generalised cancer: invasive, killer of local businesses and healthy prosperous communities that used to enjoy diversity of employment and sourcing of goods (and services).

For every one local small business in any community, there are usually three more that are offshoots or spin-offs of this one. You kill one such business, you end up killing three more as well. People are then left with no choice BUT to shop at Wal-Mart, especially if they live in small town Canada because the local businesses cannot compete and end up closing their doors.

Its reach is astounding, and worrisome.

Debaser11
10-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Right, but it seems erroneous to say Walmart is "killing" them. People have a choice where to shop.

Austin
10-03-2010, 07:10 AM
And yet nobody can nor will be able to name a single company which does business on the level walmart does scope wise any differently than walmart itself does.

Being a big company with a very successful business model automatically equates=evil? Why? Because it doesn't adhere to a certain regulatory/governmental philosophy?

So then basically what you anti-Walmart people should really be saying for realities sake is "we don't like walmart because it isn't doing exactly what we would prefer to the letter in an open global market hence that makes it evil and bad, death to walmart"

South park sums it up flawlessly as always.http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s08e09-something-wall-mart-this-way-comes

Treffie
10-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Stack `em high, sell `em cheap is what the general consumer is interested in. Walmart isn't to blame.

Austin
10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
For every person you hear complain about walmart running out of town small-town stores there are five people who hated such small-town stores and their elitist prick little smug store keeper who could be a complete asshole and charge what they wanted because they were all that was there. I say good riddance. I and many others of my generation will gladly take a monster-god store which is faceless/cheap and won't ask how my day is and will let me walk in, buy my game, and walkout all in less than 4 minutes without some stuck up prick imploring about my day and asking me why I'm buying this and that.

Yay for walmart. I look forward to many more of its kind.

Cato
10-03-2010, 01:19 PM
People want to buy cheap, and big box retail offers cheap. Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. It's more convienient to shop at a place like this than at some smaller business you might have to go out of your way to get to.

Eldritch
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Right, but it seems erroneous to say Walmart is "killing" them. People have a choice where to shop.

I don't want to come across as a smartass, but once WM drives mom 'n' pop stores out of business, well, then people do not have a choice where to shop.

Mind you, I'm not sure what the more reasonable alternative might be.

Debaser11
10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't want to come across as a smartass, but once WM drives mom 'n' pop stores out of business, well, then people do not have a choice where to shop.

Mind you, I'm not sure what the more reasonable alternative might be.

Right. But why are the other smaller stores being driven out of business in the first place? Your criticism kind of ignores the free will of the consumer. Look, I don't like to see the smaller business have to fold, either. But the problem isn't with Wal-mart.