PDA

View Full Version : "Tribal" vs "Imperial" Nations in Europe

Mortimer
11-24-2016, 05:01 AM
I dont know if I use the correct words but to me I see slight difference between nations like French and British who I call "imperial" and nations like Germans, Poles etc. I think in "imperial" nations the term and identity "white" is more commonplace. For example Britain. I guess in France too. In Germany it exists and is important but less then in Britain or France. I think Germany is a "ethnic/tribal" nation but French and British are "imperial/pan-european" nations. Do you think you understand what I mean and do you agree?

Bezprym
11-24-2016, 05:15 AM
I don't understand what you mean. There is no such a thing as "tribal nation". You refer to the nations which are homo- and heterogenous?

Mortimer
11-24-2016, 05:16 AM
I don't understand what you mean. There is no such a thing as "tribal nation". You refer to the nations which are homo- and heterogenous?

Why not? I said initially I dont know if I use exactly the correct words for what I think though. I labeled it like that. If you dont understand what I mean, I cant help you.

Bezprym
11-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Why not?

Because a nation consists of unified tribes. In Germany you have Bavarians, Lusatians, Saxons and other groups of people who create German nation. In Poland you have Polans, Vistulans, Kashubians and many other groups who create Polish nation. Nation isn't one tribe, at least in Europe.

If you dont understand what I mean, I cant help you.

You can - by answering my question, for example.

Bezprym
11-24-2016, 05:35 AM
There are two terms: nation state which refers to the homogenous country, where the majority of population is of same nationality - for example Hungary, Estonia or Poland; and multinational state which consists of various nationalities living in one country - for instance Russia or Spain. I think by "tribal" you may refer to the nation state, and by "imperial" to multinational.

Mortimer
11-24-2016, 05:36 AM
Because a nation consists of unified tribes. In Germany you have Bavarians, Lusatians, Saxons and other groups of people who create German nation. In Poland you have Polans, Vistulans, Kashubians and many other groups who create Polish nation. Nation isn't one tribe, at least in Europe.

You can - by answering my question, for example.

I mean more along the line of that "tribes are still important" and ethnicity like german. Maybe I should have said "ethnicity nations". Its hard for me to put it in words, sorry.

Mortimer
11-24-2016, 05:38 AM
There are two terms: nation state which refers to the homogenous country, where the majority of population is of same nationality - for example Hungary, Estonia or Poland; and multinational state which consists of various nationalities living in one country - for instance Russia or Spain. I think by "tribal" you may refer to the nation state, and by "imperial" to multinational.

yes, but not exactly, germany is nowadays quiete multicultural too but "german" is still very important and "norm", its still different to britain where you have black british, etc. in britain maybe english is similar to german and british is more of a imperial identity.

Albobalboa
11-24-2016, 06:01 AM
I get what you mean and I agree. It's about the the identity itself. You can't be "German" unless you really are an ethnic German. You can on the other hand be French or British as there is really no "ethnic" French or British.

Rethel
11-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Poles are not to much "tribal" becasue we have
during last 850 years multiculturalism in version,
which is still not available for Western Europe.

Bezprym
11-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Poles are not to much "tribal" becasue we have
during last 850 years multiculturalism in version,
which is still not available for Western Europe.

The version of multicultural society which was present here before WW2, won't take place in Western Europe, I'm afraid. They just chose the wrong way.

ЛыSSый
11-24-2016, 07:30 AM

:picard1:
in estonia is about ewery third person is russian
in poland were a lot of tribes like gurals, jews or tatars (tell me about their percentage), but goverment policy is accimilation
in russia is more than 80% persents of population are russia, but goverment policy is support of minorities cultures

Bezprym
11-24-2016, 07:39 AM
:picard1:
in estonia is about ewery third person is russian

I think less, but true, my mistake.

in poland were a lot of tribes like gurals,

Górale are Poles. They just cultivate their unique customs and traditions.

jews or tatars (tell me about their percentage), but goverment policy is accimilation

Jews and Tatars are not numerous, there are few of them. I am not sure if they even together would be able to make up 1% of general population.

in russia is more than 80% persents of population are russia, but goverment policy is support of minorities cultures

...sure

Rethel
11-24-2016, 07:41 AM
in poland were a lot of tribes like gurals, jews or tatars (tell me about their percentage), but goverment policy is accimilation

They do not have to be assimilated becasue they are Poles allready.

Jews - 3000 belivers, another 4500 feeling Jews.
Tatars - between 500 and 3000
Górals - tens of thousands.

They together do not even conatin 1%.

Mikula
11-24-2016, 08:07 AM
As I understand the question is about country's identity versus ethnical identity.
Am I right?

Perhaps a good illustration is different meanings of the term Nation/National in various countries.

In western Euro countries it refers about the country.

But if you translate terms Nation/National to Czech language, it sounds Národ/Národní and it refers about ethnical group of the same native language.
To avoid the misunderstanding is the term Nationality typed in passports translated as Státní občanství (Country's citizenship).

In Czech census records was never used term Race (white, black etc.) but Národnost (ethnicity).
When I fulfill the cesus frorm I write:
Státní občanství: Česká Republika = Country's citizenship: Czech Republic
Národnost: Česká = Ethnicity: Czech

But for example pop-singer Ewa Farna (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewa_Farna), who came from Polish speaking part of our country will fullfill the for this way:
Státní občanství: Česká Republika = Country's citizenship: Czech Republic
Národnost: Poská = Ethnicity: Polish

The different understanding of the terms means that Czech people of my generation (and older ones), even the admirers of Franz Kafka (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka) has a problem to call him as a Czech writer.
He was not Czech in ethnical meaning: He wrote hisbooks in German language. He was bilingual, he speaks Czech as well as German but German was his native laguage.
In the country's meaning he was not Czech, too - he was citizen of Austro-Hungary, and later of Czechoslovakia.
He could be called as an Austrian and Czechoslovak writer.
According the language or ethnicity he could be labelled also as a German and Jewish writer.
But in the last decades, because of westernization of our country, the meanings of some terms are changing here, and especially younger generations call Franz Kafka as a Czech writer without any problems.

Rethel
11-24-2016, 08:11 AM
And how is ethnicity in czech, i.e. ethnical group without a state?

Ülev
11-24-2016, 02:43 PM

please do not irritate Magnolia

Rethel
11-24-2016, 03:34 PM
please do not irritate Magnolia

Why? and why?

Mikula
11-24-2016, 03:37 PM

Národ has a state.
Národnost is an ethnical grooup, regarless one has its own state or not

joewhite
03-04-2017, 07:21 PM
hungary vs italy

Peterski
07-31-2018, 09:31 AM
"Tribal" are small nations like Montenegrins or Czechs, "imperial" are large nations like French or Germans. Then you have "intermediate" or "medium" nations, many of which have imperial past.

IMO Poles fall into the "intermediate" group, but on the larger end of its spectrum (close to "imperial", and with imperial past). Hungarians also fall into the "medium" group, but on the smaller end.

You can't just look at modern population sizes, but also at population history of each nation/ethnicity. For example Hungarian-speakers were almost as numerous back in year 1900 as today.

Hungarians were among nations with the lowest birth rates during the 20th century.

Bobby Martnen
08-05-2018, 08:43 PM
"Tribal" are small nations like Montenegrins or Czechs, "imperial" are large nations like French or Germans. Then you have "intermediate" or "medium" nations, many of which have imperial past.

IMO Poles fall into the "intermediate" group, but on the larger end of its spectrum (close to "imperial", and with imperial past). Hungarians also fall into the "medium" group, but on the smaller end.

You can't just look at modern population sizes, but also at population history of each nation/ethnicity. For example Hungarian-speakers were almost as numerous back in year 1900 as today.

Hungarians were among nations with the lowest birth rates during the 20th century.

In my country, we call Hungarians "bohunks"

Mikula
08-05-2018, 09:46 PM
In my country, we call Hungarians "bohunks"

It is nick (derogatory) for both, Czechs and Hungarians.
Bohunk (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bohunk)means BOHemians and HUNGarianS

Bobby Martnen
08-05-2018, 09:53 PM
It is nick (derogatory) for both, Czechs and Hungarians.
Bohunk (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bohunk)means BOHemians and HUNGarianS

It's an old-fashioned word, though, not common for decades