PDA

View Full Version : 17,000 minks set free by activists in southern Sweden

Eldritch
10-04-2010, 10:50 PM
http://www.thelocal.se/articleImages/29414.jpg

17,000 minks escaped from a farm in Skillingaryd in southern Sweden on Monday after a lock on the animals' cage was bust open.

"The owner values them to eight million kronor ($1.2 million)," said Bo Kellerth at Jönköping police on Monday morning.

The fleeing minks were spotted by a passing motorist as they ran in front of his car at 3.15am on Monday. The car driver realised what had happened and alerted the police.

"No one has left any message after them nor taken responsibility so we don't have much to go on," Kellerth said.

Kellerth said that the minks have little chance of surviving in the wild but that they could cause problems and injuries to other animals.

"We have opened a case into animal cruelty and criminal damage," he said.*

"There were demonstrations against their breeding outside of the farm in the summer but I don't know of it being subjected to any previous attack."

Link. (http://www.thelocal.se/29414/20101004/)

* Do the police in Finland and Sweden ever try to actually solve crimes anymore? It seems that all they ever do is "open a file" and ask the public to phone in any sightings.

The Lawspeaker
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
GREAT. If those stupid motherf..... wanted to cause damage to the environment then that's exactly what they did. 17.000 ?
Say bye bye to your local environment and to those minks too because there is never enough food for them.

And all the police does is opening up a file ?!

la bombe
10-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Brilliant, release them into an unfamiliar habitat where they likely won't survive and just might overrun other species. Some 'animal rights' activists are so stupid.

Loddfafner
10-04-2010, 11:15 PM
"We have opened a case into animal cruelty and criminal damage," he said.*

I hope the PETA-freaks get charged with animal cruelty. Don't they have a learning curve? Invariably when they "liberate" these animals, as several posters upthread have noted, they tend to die pretty fast.

Eldritch
10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I hope the PETA-freaks get charged with animal cruelty. Don't they have a learning curve? Invariably when they "liberate" these animals, as several posters upthread have noted, they tend to die pretty fast.

That, and/or wipe out local native bird and small mammal populations.

There've been quite a few of these attacks in this country too (although not so much in the last few years). To whatever extent there is any rationale behind these people's actions at all, it is to my knowledge to cause the mink farmer so much damage that he goes out of business. And the dead minks at least get to die, if not in their natural environment, at least in liberty. :rolleyes:

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 07:54 AM
The Norsemen of yesteryear would be dumbfounded by what their race has become. Swedes, save yourselves.

Treffie
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM
This is tantamount to environmental disaster. Many mink will survive and cause havoc to the surrounding region.

Must have been a sight to have seen 17,000 of these little critters running away.

jerney
10-05-2010, 09:11 AM

I think animals have rights, but I absolutely hate PETA. Their hypocrisy is unbelievable. They kill 85%+ of the animals they take in (last year it was 97%), yet fishing is a huge no. They funnel money to terrorists who blow up medical labs where animal testing is done, yet they have no qualms over the vice president of PETA using insulin twice daily for her diabetes, a medication that contains animal products and was developed through animal testing. And apparently it's ok for their celebrity clientele to bend the rules a little because because they allowed Pamela Anderson to auction off her car with leather seats at a peta event, apparently wearing shoes with leather soles to a PETA even is also ok if you're famous enough

ikki
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Brilliant, release them into an unfamiliar habitat where they likely won't survive and just might overrun other species. Some 'animal rights' activists are so stupid.

Oh theyll survive more or less. And kill birds. Some fishing too. And you can end up meeting one of those minks while sitting on a cliff at the sea :p

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't these people have anything better to do with their lives is what I want to know? And yes, posting on Apricity is much better way to spend your time.

The Ripper
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Because of fuckers like these, we've been killing minks at our summer cottage for years.

Äike
10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I wonder if they're European, or American minks. I do not know if Sweden has any European minks remaining, but if there are any, then the American minks will wipe out the European minks.

Smaland
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

Loddfafner
10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

I once saw a T-shirt with a slogan presumably in response to the 'meat is murder' crowd: MEAT IS DINNER!