PDA

View Full Version : 10:10 What's going on here?

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 03:33 AM
This ad is so weird. It seems like satire. But it's actually a real environmental thing. Is there some humor I'm missing or what?

sSTLDel-G9k

P.S. If you English are naming your kids "Jimmyma," that's some screwed up shit.

Smaland
10-05-2010, 04:10 AM
"Do what we say, or we'll kill you;" quite a political ad. The video must have been done by some Stalin wannabes. :mad:

Groenewolf
10-05-2010, 04:18 AM
I do not see the humor in it either. The instant killing of those who are not completely convinced of the use of this thing seems comes more over as some kind of subtle treat then an attempt at humor.

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 04:27 AM
So odd. It's like you have to want to really stick it to any nonbeliever to get the joke or something.

la bombe
10-05-2010, 04:46 AM
I don't think it's meant to be extremely humorous, I suppose the point is to highlight the seriousness of global climate change and the urgent need to reduce carbon emissions.

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 05:21 AM
It's...unsettling...

la bombe
10-05-2010, 05:28 AM
It's...unsettling...

I think that's the point.

Smaland
10-05-2010, 05:41 AM
If they really want to persuade people to accept and follow their belief, they should politely reason with them, and show them exactly how disaster will follow otherwise. Repeatedly "killing" those who disagree will provoke them, not win them over.

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Well, at least they're letting me know up front that they're neo-Stalinists. I mean, it's very much got a "j/k...not really" vibe to it. Like "we won't kill you like this, but you can see how we will not tolerate another view on the matter, hehe." *wink* It's creepy.

Aino
10-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I am with La Bombe on this. I think the message was "If we continue being selfish assholes, this is what will eventually happen to humanity." It was meant to shock, because you can't really persuade people using facts only. People make decisions based on their emotions. They may rationalise them afterwards, though.

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
But you can do that with any number of political issues. For example, if women keep aborting children, birthrates will continue to decline and Western civilization will die off. Would such a video where pro-choice women met the same fate not offend you?

If the answer is yes, why does environmentalism get a free pass to be tasteless?

Aino
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
But you can do that with any number of political issues. For example, if women keep aborting children, birthrates will continue to decline and Western civilization will die off. Would such a video where pro-choice women met the same fate not offend you?

If the answer is yes, why does environmentalism get a free pass to be tasteless?

Ha, even better would be an anti birth control ad done in the same fashion.

But seriously, sure the ad was tasteless, there is no denying that.

Svanhild
10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Dumb ad. And it's laughable how they use multiethnical groups in all three ad parts: Multiethnical school class, multiethnical business company, multiethnical football team. And it's always the Europeans who explode. Oh how I love the agenda of political correctness. Not.

Cato
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Exploding children, how nice.

The Ripper
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Eh, I can't actually believe that the message they're trying to convey is "do it or we'll kill you!"

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Dumb ad. And it's laughable how they use multiethnical groups in all three ad parts: Multiethnical school class, multiethnical business company, multiethnical football team. And it's always the Europeans who explode. Oh how I love the agenda of political correctness. Not.

The white European male has brought this environmental cancer upon us all. Should they not pay for the "sins" of their fathers? ;)

Svanhild
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
The white European male has brought this environmental cancer upon us all. Should they not pay for the "sins" of their fathers? ;)
Last time I checked, it was mainly the USA who stopped Germany in WW1 and WW2 and brought the ideas of multiculturalism, immigrant rights and liberal democracy to us. No harm intended, but the cancer wasn't rising within Germany or Europe. At one moment in US history the development took the wrong path and our European countries follow your way to cultural and ethnical degression.

Debaser11
10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Last time I checked, it was mainly the USA who stopped Germany in WW1 and WW2 and brought the ideas of multiculturalism, immigrant rights and liberal democracy to us. No harm intended, but the cancer wasn't rising within Germany or Europe. At one moment in US history the development took the wrong path and our European countries follow your way to cultural and ethnical degression.

Uhhh...I think you misunderstand what I meant there. I was being completely tongue-in-cheek about Europeans being any great cancer. That's what the Marxists all say. I actually agree with all of the above, for the most part. However, we imported plenty of rats from the Frankfurt School during WWII. Furthermore, it's up to Europeans to defend their own countries and think for themselves.

Cato
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM

German-Americans outnumber English-Americans (what I am, a happy Anglo :P) as the top ancestral group in the country, about 50 million (1/6 of the country).

Given how many Americans with German forefathers there are, I'd say that our liberalism is about the same (and about as destructive) as the liberalism of the Fatherland.

Sol Invictus
10-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Some slick propaganda right there.

Groenewolf
10-06-2010, 03:43 AM
However, we imported plenty of rats from the Frankfurt School during WWII.

And the rats moved back to Europe right after the GI's. And moved into the academic vacuums that where left behind after the cleansing of the universities. I have read that there where also many professors put on the lists who should not really be on the list, but where put there none the less because communists helped make up the lists and used the opportunity to severely weaken the intellectual strongholds of European conservatism.

Given how many Americans with German forefathers there are, I'd say that our liberalism is about the same (and about as destructive) as the liberalism of the Fatherland.

Since Americans are in the habit of calling classical liberals something else and obscure the matter even further by limiting the use of the word liberal to people who are at most social-liberal and not economic-liberal, I ask what meaning do you give to the word liberal in this context.

Debaser11
10-06-2010, 07:28 PM
And the rats moved back to Europe right after the GI's. And moved into the academic vacuums that where left behind after the cleansing of the universities. I have read that there where also many professors put on the lists who should not really be on the list, but where put there none the less because communists helped make up the lists and used the opportunity to severely weaken the intellectual strongholds of European conservatism.

Believe me, we have plenty of left-wing Jewish intellectuals here who take a page straight from the Frankfurt School playbook. Surely, the United States cannot be blamed because some "rats" moved back to Europe (if that is indeed the charge)? We've been a negative force for traditional culture, there's no denying that. But I feel like blaming it all on the U.S. (like Muslims do) sort of all too conveniently abstains European countries from their own responsibilities as sovereign entities. I also don't think much of our public can keep up with Europe's liberalism. There's a sizable chunk of us that find Europe's liberal attitudes both peculiar and even frightening. Those attitudes embedded in Europe couldn't have all come from us considering how ahead of the curve you guys are.

Smaland
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
qAkfEX0sqAI

Debaser11
10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Good find, Smaland! I liked the guest they had on there. My thoughts exactly. You could do this with any number of political issues--abortion, gay marriage, prayer in schools, immigration--and the outrage would have been probably 100 fold. Remember that guy who simply wanted to burn a Koran "to make a point"?