PDA

View Full Version : An old Chechen parable of the wolves

Root
12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/enA8Kqz5Cpk/maxresdefault.jpg

It seemed like the biting winter would never end. A pack of wolves was dwindling as starvation took hold of it. The eldest wolf, Borz, took charge had taken charge of his pack always standing at the forefront. Borz constantly consoled the younger wolves, reminding them that winter doubtless turns to spring. Eventually, one of the pups, unable to bear the cold and hunger any longer, decided to live a domesticated life among humans. After all, that would at least ensure his survival. And so the years passed until the pup could barely recall any more than snippets from his past life. In his new life, he had been trained as a hunting dog and was used to obediently fetching the catch for his owner on their hunting trips, with not a sign of malcontent to be seen. It was not until the day he noticed, mid-chase on one of his outings, that his quarry was his old pack leader Borz that he realised he had not given the deeper meaning of his existence more than a passing thought. When Borz's body finally let up and he could run no more, he stood his ground facing the younger wolf locking onto his eyes. The younger wolf, ashamed, could not bear to meet his gaze let alone utter a single note. Borz spoke "I am about to die and my death I will not spurn for I have lived a wolf among wolves. You, however, belong neither to our world not that of the humans. You care for yourself foremost and concern yourself not with others. That is the path you have chosen in life and it is indeed yours to choose. Know only that hunger is transient, while honour once lost is lost forevermore!"