PDA

View Full Version : Swastika-looking snowflakes pop up at Latvian Christmas market

PHDNM
12-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Swastika-looking snowflakes pop up at Latvian Christmas market

https://cdn.rt.com/files/2016.12/original/584672dfc36188c2278b4571.jpg

In another controversial case of Latvia’s relationship to Nazi symbolism, a large ornament eerily similar to a swastika appeared in Riga’s Christmas Market, provoking critical reactions.

The scene filmed Monday at Esplanade Park showed several runes, possibly intended to represent snowflakes. But one does stop to wonder what the designer was thinking, when about 80 percent finished, he noticed one of his creations resembled the symbol associated with Nazism in the 20th century.

https://www.rt.com/news/369307-latvia-nazi-swastika-market/

Rooster
12-13-2016, 07:52 PM
This is ridiculous! This symbol has nothing to do with Nazism at all. Ancient Latvians used this symbol way before Nazism were introduced.

Luca
09-17-2017, 02:34 PM
based latvians:cool:

This is ridiculous! This symbol has nothing to do with Nazism at all. Ancient Latvians used this symbol way before Nazism were introduced.

yeah yeah. We all had this discussion enough time. Every culture has a claim on this literal cross.
Don't brag about it. Only a few cultures actually put a meaning into this cross that people actually remember (eg. nazis)

Linebacker
09-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Slavs can use Swastikas freely and at will,it is a captured weapon,victor's priviledge.

But Latvians don't fall into that group I think.

Pahli
09-17-2017, 02:52 PM
The Swastika has importance to all Indo-European groups, not just Slavs lol, the word itself originates from Indo-Iranian 'Svar', 'Suuar' or 'Swar' which means sun.

Babak
09-17-2017, 02:54 PM
The Swastika has importance to all Indo-European groups, not just Slavs lol, the word itself originates from Indo-Iranian 'Svar', 'Suuar' or 'Swar'

The root of all these languages are all Indo-Iranian in origin. Proud to speak the languages of my ancestors.

Pahli
09-17-2017, 02:59 PM
The root of all these languages are all Indo-Iranian in origin. Proud to speak the languages of my ancestors.

Not really, they just split off from each other, they all had a common language once.

Babak
09-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Not really, they just split off from each other, they all had a common language once.

yes