PDA

View Full Version : Finnish reindeer sperm used to help boost Mongolian reindeer population

Eldritch
10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Finland’s Reindeer Sperm in High Demand

http://yle.fi/ecepic/archive/00151/Ylivuotinen_vasa_ke_151154b.jpg

Mongolia’s President has requested a delivery of Finnish reindeer sperm to help revive the country’s dwindling reindeer population, reports Helsingin Sanomat.

The matter came up during a visit by Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi to Mongolia.

Collecting the sperm could prove difficult, according to Mauri Nieminen, a research manager at the Reindeer Research Station of the Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute.

Nieminen is skeptical of Mongolia’s actual need for the sperm, as the country has received new reindeer flocks from Russia. Information on inbreeding is also conflicting, he says.

A few decades ago, Finland transported 170 reindeers to Hokkaido, Japan. Nieminen also believes that it would in this case make more sense to ship the animals. He will soon head to Mongolia to investigate the reindeer situation there.

Link. (http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/10/finlands_reindeer_sperm_in_high_demand_2044188.htm l)

Equinox
10-08-2010, 10:29 PM
What factors are contributing the the dwindling population of Mongolian reindeer?

One can assume that the Finnish and Mongolian reindeer are somehow genetically distinct, no?

If this is the case, I would be against this plan.

Motörhead Remember Me
10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
What factors are contributing the the dwindling population of Mongolian reindeer?

Chinks grinding down their antlers for aphrodisiac? Maybe they don't know that they come off once a year and that you don't have to kill them to get the antlers:D:D:D

Motörhead Remember Me
10-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd propose that the Mongolians send us mare's milk for exchange. We are badly out of mare's milk. The street price is gross...

antonio
10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
At first sight I misunderstand reindeer for a verb, so I was on thinking Mongolians where asking Finland for Human sperm to resist Asian mixcigenation, as if they were a kind of long-ago migrated Laponians into Central Asia wanting to recover their original mitical self. Bizarre.

Motörhead Remember Me
10-13-2010, 06:01 AM
At first sight I misunderstand reindeer for a verb, so I was on thinking Mongolians where asking Finland for Human sperm to resist Asian mixcigenation, as if they were a kind of long-ago migrated Laponians into Central Asia wanting to recover their original mitical self. Bizarre.

The only thing bizarre here was your sense of comprehension...:cool:

Bloodeagle
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Nieminen is skeptical of Mongolia’s actual need for the sperm, as the country has received new reindeer flocks from Russia. Information on inbreeding is also conflicting, he says.

I shudder to think what the Mongols will do with this reindeer sperm.:embarrassed Perhaps, they will start to farm them for food. :)

Vasconcelos
10-13-2010, 07:14 AM

:lol00002:

antonio
10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
:lol00002:

Suomis would think they were nuts and silently added Mongolia to their secret black list of untrustworthy countries. Worse would be if I ever go with that proposition to modern Germany: they would penally prosecute Mongolian embassy for Nazi proselitism on their own representatives and send them to the Hague tribunal to jailed them for life. :thumb001:

Motörhead Remember Me
10-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Suomis would think they were nuts and silently added Mongolia to their secret black list of untrustworthy countries. Worse would be if I ever go with that proposition to modern Germany: they would penally prosecute Mongolian embassy for Nazi proselitism on their own representatives and send them to the Hague tribunal to jailed them for life. :thumb001:

Reindeer sperm is the topic here...

:confused: