PDA

View Full Version : Despise

Goswinus
10-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Despise > *de-spice*: reducing the addition of spices to a meal...
which of course could be a good thing as spices may upset the tummy and leave your bottom end to burn...
besides and occassionally it's better to leave the veg and meat to collect and give out their flavours without accentuation, but in ordinary meals
absence of salt and no spices tastes bland.

And in a bland world we must carry for the spices
for we easily shuffle ourselves in the morose routine
of everyday, prematurely consigned to the reaper,
before science and conqueror worm harvests
the meltdown of our innards.

Germanicus
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Despise > *de-spice*: reducing the addition of spices to a meal...
which of course could be a good thing as spices may upset the tummy and leave your bottom end to burn...
besides and occassionally it's better to leave the veg and meat to collect and give out their flavours without accentuation, but in ordinary meals
absence of salt and no spices tastes bland.

And in a bland world we must carry for the spices
for we easily shuffle ourselves in the morose routine
of everyday, prematurely consigned to the reaper,
before science and conqueror worm harvests
the meltdown of our innards.

despise [dɪˈspaɪz]

to look down on with contempt; scorn he despises flattery
[from Old French despire, from Latin dēspicere to look down.

Goswinus
10-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, I know the origin of the word, I was merely playing with the word using false etymology. After all, this section of the forum is not destined for the study of linguistics.

Germanicus
10-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes, I know the origin of the word, I was merely playing with the word using false etymology. After all, this section of the forum is not destined for the study of linguistics.

Ah i see....My wife is a Scot, she like to mess around with the meaning of words too, how odd:)...

Goswinus
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Ah i see....My wife is a Scot, she like to mess around with the meaning of words too, how odd:)...

Well, it used to be brought to ludicrous and sometimes surreal effect in British comedy. It was cleverly done, though. Just think of the pranks in twisting the meaning of words and their pronunciations by Morecambe and Wise.:)

_______
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
mild herbs and spices aid digestion

Aelred
06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Ah, its 19th c. Philology!