PDA

View Full Version : Genetic evidence for an East Asian origin of Chinese Muslim populations Dongxiang and Hui, R1a-M17

johen
12-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Genetic evidence for an East Asian origin of Chinese Muslim populations Dongxiang and Hui
Hong-Bing Yao, Chuan-Chao Wang, Xiaolan Tao, Lei Shang, Shao-Qing Wen, Bofeng Zhu, Longli Kang, Li Jin & Hui Li
Scientific Reports 6, Article number: 38656 (2016)
doi:10.1038/srep38656

Abstract
There is a long-going debate on the genetic origin of Chinese Muslim populations, such as Uygur, Dongxiang, and Hui. However, genetic information for those Muslim populations except Uygur is extremely limited. In this study, we investigated the genetic structure and ancestry of Chinese Muslims by analyzing 15 autosomal short tandem repeats in 652 individuals from Dongxiang, Hui, and Han Chinese populations in Gansu province. Both genetic distance and Bayesian-clustering methods showed significant genetic homogeneity between the two Muslim populations and East Asian populations, suggesting a common genetic ancestry. Our analysis found no evidence of substantial gene flow from Middle East or Europe into Dongxiang and Hui people during their Islamization. The dataset generated in present study are also valuable for forensic identification and paternity tests in China.

Open
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep38656

but, in the paper

About 24–30% Y chromosomes of Salar, Bo’an, and Dongxiang belong to East Asian specific haplogroup O3-M122. The Central Asian, South Asian, and European prevalent Y chromosomal lineage R-M17 also comprises 17%, 26%, and 28% of Salar, Bo’an, and Dongxiang, respectively8.

So Does it mean that Dongxiang R1a-M17 originated in China?

And,

conclusion:
The two Chinese Muslim populations Dongxiang and Hui showed significant genetic homogeneity with co-resident Han Chinese in Linxia and other East Asian populations rather than with European or Middle Eastern populations, which support a simple cultural diffusion for the origin of Dongxiang and Hui in China. This cultural transformation phenomenon has also been observed in other Muslim populations. Although the Utsat people in Hainan Island are thought to be descendants of the Champa Kingdom and have been officially recognized as Hui nationality, they are genetically much closer to the Hainan indigenous ethnic groups than to the Cham and other mainland Southeast Asian populations9.
The spread of Islam in the Indian subcontinent was also proven to be predominantly cultural diffusion associated with minor gene flow from West Asia and Arabia by analyzing autosomal STRs44,45, mitochondrial DNA46,47, and Y chromosome47.

Is that true?

LoLeL
12-13-2016, 05:00 PM
As I know, Turkic/Turko-Persian/Whatever dynasties brought Islam to Indian subcontinent not Arabs.

Shah-Jehan
12-13-2016, 05:14 PM
A lot of the Hui paternal ancestors were Persians from Central Asia, modern day "tajiks".

safrax
12-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Is that true?
no. It clearly is distorted by dirty politics of Han chinese racism. Look at the authors list.

Everybody who is experienced with that issue knows that there still are Hui muslims with a more western feature.

Danaan
12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
So Does it mean that Dongxiang R1a-M17 originated in China?

Central Asia maybe?

Governor
12-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Also North-East Chinese people, the far North-East corner of China, these people call theirselves Dongbeiren, they look somewhat Tungusic-Turkic-Sinid mixed but they still count theirselves as Han.

'owight Gavnah
12-14-2016, 01:28 PM
As I know, Turkic/Turko-Persian/Whatever dynasties brought Islam to Indian subcontinent not Arabs.

Arabs as well, it's well documented many Muslims from western India have some ancestors from Arabia.

LoLeL
12-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Arabs as well, it's well documented many Muslims from western India have some ancestors from Arabia.

How? Does genetic tests confirm it? It's possible some of them may have Arab ancestors:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Umayyad750ADloc.png/800px-Umayyad750ADloc.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Abbasids850.png/800px-Abbasids850.png

But "many" is exaggerated.

johen
12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Also North-East Chinese people, the far North-East corner of China, these people call theirselves Dongbeiren, they look somewhat Tungusic-Turkic-Sinid mixed but they still count theirselves as Han.

Do you know those people? As you said, Dongbeiren means "Dong(East).bei(North).ren(person)"
When we say " Han chinese," the Han means "Han dynasty."
When far north east mongoloid people says "Han," it means "great" like "Khan" of Ghengis Khan"
Thus, do you know whether they are minority or Han chinese?

Turkminator
12-14-2016, 08:59 PM
A lot of the Hui paternal ancestors were Persians from Central Asia, modern day "tajiks".

Just a few Huis have Arab ancestors not Persian.

Governor
12-15-2016, 02:18 AM
Do you know those people? As you said, Dongbeiren means "Dong(East).bei(North).ren(person)"
When we say " Han chinese," the Han means "Han dynasty."
When far north east mongoloid people says "Han," it means "great" like "Khan" of Ghengis Khan"
Thus, do you know whether they are minority or Han chinese?

My ex was a Dongbeiren, she told me her grand grandma was Manchu.I used to live in Shenyang 2 years, used live in China 6 years.

zhaoyun
12-15-2016, 02:31 AM
Hui Moslems have distant Persian and Arab ancestors, but for the most part, are essentially very much alike the Han Chinese of their respective regions. For example, the Hui of Gansu are similar to Gansu Hans, and Fujian Huis are similar to Fujian Hans. This is what I've recognized myself since I've traveled to these different regions.

zhaoyun
12-15-2016, 02:32 AM
My ex was a Dongbeiren, she told me her grand grandma was Manchu.I used to live in Shenyang 2 years, used live in China 6 years.

Han Chinese is just an umbrella term, it is more a political identity. The Hans of different regions are more similar to the minorities of their region than they are to the Hans across the country.

Mingle
12-15-2016, 02:37 AM

Arab traders from Gujarat spread Islam to Southeast Asia. Arabs settled in South Asia too. The earliest invasion by Muslims in South Asia (Sindh) was by Muhammad bin Qasim of the Umayyad Dynasty. But yes, the people who Islamicized most of South Asia were mainly Turks.

Mingle
12-15-2016, 02:46 AM
Han Chinese is just an umbrella term, it is more a political identity. The Hans of different regions are more similar to the minorities of their region than they are to the Hans across the country.

I think the Hans living in the south (Yunnan, Guangxi, etc.) will be very close to the local Baiyue, but those living in Xinjiang, Tibet, and even parts of Inner Mongolia won't feel much in common with the local non-Hans. The Han population exploded fairly recently under the Qing Dynasty, Mao Zedong, and the 1960's industrialization. China's population in the mid-18th century was around 200 million a few decades after the Qing established themselves. If I'm not mistaken, it was under 100 million under the Ming. Also; Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, and I think even Qinghai were settled by Han people not too long ago.

zhaoyun
12-15-2016, 02:49 AM
I think the Hans living in the south (Yunnan, Guangxi, etc.) will be very close to the local Baiyue, but those living in Xinjiang, Tibet, and even parts of Inner Mongolia won't feel much in common with the local non-Hans. The Han population exploded fairly recently under the Qing Dynasty, Mao Zedong, and the 1960's industrialization. China's population in the mid-18th century was around 200 million a few decades after the Qing established themselves. If I'm not mistaken, it was under 100 million under the Qing. Also; Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, and I think even Qinghai were settled by Han people not too long ago.

Yeah, I think you are correct about that more or less. Though in Inner Mongolia, the Han presence has been there much longer than in Xinjiang and Tibet.

Mingle
12-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I think you are correct about that more or less. Though in Inner Mongolia, the Han presence has been there much longer than in Xinjiang and Tibet.

Hans were settled in Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, and Manchuria around roughly the same time - the late 18th century. In fact, Hans settled in Xinjiang before IM. The Dzungar Genocide was in 1759 whereas Hans started moving into IM in the 1780s.

zhaoyun
12-15-2016, 02:59 AM
Hans were settled in Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, and Manchuria around roughly the same time - the late 18th century.

Yeah, but more numbers in Inner Mongolia and Manchuria, and also the historical exchange between Northern Hans and those regions were greater.