PDA

View Full Version : God and Foreign Policy: The Religious Divide Between the U.S. and Europe

Austin
10-14-2010, 04:53 AM
http://pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/God-and-Foreign-Policy-The-Religious-Divide-Between-the-US-and-Europe.aspx

Pretty in-depth, I like it.

Cato
10-20-2010, 04:05 PM
""In a number of areas, it seems to me that we are no longer part of the same civilization." He's speaking here of the United States and Europe. "You have a fairly religious society on one hand and generally secular societies on the other, operating with different references. What would unite us does not seem to be in the forefront.""

Truly lamentable.

My belief in the Almighty takes a back seat to politics and, as I see it, when some political talking head invokes God in a speech he or she is blaspheming the unutterable name. Talk of manifest destiny and spreading God-given freedoms, ha, what God gives, God can also take away, plenty of Americans utterly forget that and act with an jingoistic arrogance that I can hardly believe. They forget that "The earth is the Lord's (i.e. Yave's), and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." I've seen plenty of right arrogance, ugly Americans who act as if they, rather than God, were in charge of things.

Let the politicians, talking heads, etc. put references like this in their speeches:

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Rather than, say,

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth. (The original says that every knee should bow before the Lord (i.e. Adonay, Yave, in one of the Old Testament prophetical books; this passage was re-worked to make it seem as if Jesus was the new boss in town).

Korbis
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, you come across as pretty stressed pleople when it comes to religion.

But its not true that most europeans donīt worry about Jesus more than about their salary. Catholic fervour is still quite strong in the most rural regions of central and southern europe. Not to mention Ireland and the Ulster, for obvious reasons.

Groenewolf
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
And then you have the protestant bible belts up north.

Cato
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Belief in God made America strong in bygone days, but not the God you eurofags think of. :P Americans now have little belief in the same God of the forefathers that we shared with your own ancestors a few centuries ago.

I find it hilarious that Europeans, and Americans, bleat about their ancestors so often (at least Americans have some vestige in the ancient, post-pagan religion that raised the Dunedain from regional to global power)- yet they shit on the very same God, worshipped by their ancestors, that made them the lords of the earth. Is it any wonder why America and Europe are on the way to hell?