PDA

View Full Version : Question on Napoli

MagnaLaurentia
10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a question to italian people here. I'm part Italian from Florence (grandpa) and Naples (grandma).

I am interested to know: the Neapolitans are they close to the Sicilian culture?

I heard that Naples was probably one of the cities most dirtiest and most corrupt of Italy. Are there any positive things in connection with this city? :P

Foxy
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
HISTORY

Neaples (meaning "New city" from the old Greek nea polis), founded by Greeks was later conquered by Romans. In Middle Age it became a Byzantine city, used to defend the area around from Longobards and from Saracene pirates. In 1139 Normans, lead by Rudger II, conquest the city, which later passed under the angioine control by Charles V.
In 1442 Aragoneses conquest the city. In 1707 Austrians conquest the city. In 1734 Neaples became part of the borbonic kingdom. It was conquered by Napoleon and passed under French control, but after the Congress of Wien it came back to the borbonic kingdom.

CULTURE

During the XVIII century the city gives birth to the neoclassicism. Archeology was financed and encouraged, this way it was discovered and refound the Roman sites Ercolano and Pompei.
In 1752 Carlo Borbone opens the "Accademy of Arts". But the most characteristic thing of the city is surely the theatre.
Hundreds of monument still lie in Neaples.
The city was also influenced by the Fiamming School, with which it had various contacts.

FOOD
Some very popular Italian dishes like pizza and spaghetti born in Neaples.

I have great difficulties to answer you about a so large topic. Neaples has a great culture, differently from what you may think. What are you interested in? Theatre, music, painting, monuments,...?

San Galgano
10-14-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a question to italian people here. I'm part Italian from Florence...
That's a 1000 points for you.:thumb001:

I am interested to know: the Neapolitans are they close to the Sicilian culture?

I heard that Naples was probably one of the cities most dirtiest and most corrupt of Italy. Are there any positive things in connection with this city? :P

Sicilians and neapolitans are not so close in culture, except that they share a typical southern Italian thing that many central and north italians can't stand.
I mean that they think to be more clever than the whole world and this reflects in their actions when they face or speak with people of other regions.
This behavior is not so subtle rather palpable i'd say and many time it is very annoying.
Though Sicilians have less of this behavior, they have a more islanders' mentality, much more close and much more investigative when they don't know a people.
Neapolitans are more sunny, but they think they can cheat(even positively i mean, something like pissing you off or mocking you) you whenever they want and sometimes they show it manifestly.

Anyway, Naples is not in a good situation mate, but not so worse than many other cities around Europe.
Unfortunately camorra plays a big role in the image of the city around the world.
The positive thing is that if neapolitans started to rely a bit less on helps from Rome, and started to adminstrate themselves decently, Naples would be a beautiful city with lot of culture, places and services to offer to tourists.

P.s
I'm talking about Naples only not of the whole Campania.
At the end place like Capri and Amalfi are the places where the international jet sets meet.

Foxy
10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Indeed are you from Neaples or the area around Neaples? Becouse around Neaples there are some suburbs which are dirty to scare you, and other which are as clean as Sweden and look like a Paradise on Earth. For istance I have been in Amalfi and Sorrento and I fell in love with it. You know, there are so wonderful colours and landscapes that you feel a will to take some brushes and start ot paint.
For istance:
http://www.enzorando.it/images/full/costiera-amalfitana-006.jpg

and an image of the Gulf of Neaples:
http://www.inpullman.it/immagini/foto_citta/costiera_amalfitana/costiera_amalfitana.jpg

I have visited also Athens and Neaples remembers me a bit Athens but Neaples has more monuments.

MagnaLaurentia
10-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I have great difficulties to answer you about a so large topic. Neaples has a great culture, differently from what you may think. What are you interested in? Theatre, music, painting, monuments,...?

I'm more interested in the social aspect... you know... how you perceive the people who live in this city. San Galgano has described very well the Neapolitan.

BTW... What region or city of Italy you come from?

MagnaLaurentia
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
That's a 1000 points for you.:thumb001:

héhé! :D

Sicilians and neapolitans are not so close in culture, except that they share a typical southern Italian thing that many central and north italians can't stand.
I mean that they think to be more clever than the whole world and this reflects in their actions when they face or speak with people of other regions.
This behavior is not so subtle rather palpable i'd say and many time it is very annoying.
Though Sicilians have less of this behavior, they have a more islanders' mentality, much more close and much more investigative when they don't know a people.
Neapolitans are more sunny, but they think they can cheat(even positively i mean, something like pissing you off or mocking you) you whenever they want and sometimes they show it manifestly.

Anyway, Naples is not in a good situation mate, but not so worse than many other cities around Europe.
Unfortunately camorra plays a big role in the image of the city around the world.
The positive thing is that if neapolitans started to rely a bit less on helps from Rome, and started to adminstrate themselves decently, Naples would be a beautiful city with lot of culture, places and services to offer to tourists.

P.s
I'm talking about Naples only not of the whole Campania.
At the end place like Capri and Amalfi are the places where the international jet sets meet

Thank you! It gives me an idea! as we say in my country!

Foxy
10-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm more interested in the social aspect... you know... how you perceive the people who live in this city. San Galgano has described very well the Neapolitan.

BTW... What region or city of Italy you come from?

Abruzzo. Ehm, here where I live we don't see very well Neapolitans, but in general in Italy they don't have a good fame for the usual stories, they are loud, extrovert, sunny people, whereas Abruzzese are mountanious people, closed, reserved, pretty tribal. So we don't fit very well with them . But as far as Abruzzeses are concerned, they fit with no people at all. They only desire to be left alone. But only an ignorant can say that Neaples has no culture. It has 5 universities and dozens of museums, etc. etc. and the best universities of oriental languages are in Neaples and Venice.

MagnaLaurentia
10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Indeed are you from Neaples or the area around Neaples?

The father of my grandmother was from Naples. I think he comes from this city because he is a merchant. When he arrived in America early last century, he sold ice (very useful before the development or marketing of the refrigerator) in New York and later in Montreal.

I already do the classification of my maternal great-father on the forum. I have classified him as Berid/Italian Borreby/PaleoSardinian (well, branchymorphic look like CM with mediterranian flavor), he was little stocky, blond hair and aqua blue eyes. His eyes are like San Galgano. I wonder if this is representative of southern Italy.

San Galgano
10-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I already do the classification of my maternal great-father on the forum. I have classified him as Berid/Italian Borreby/PaleoSardinian (well, branchymorphic look like CM with mediterranian flavor), he was little stocky, blond hair and aqua blue eyes. His eyes are like San Galgano. I wonder if this is representative of southern Italy.

To find blue eyed blonde haired people in South Italy in general is not so hard as many people thinks.
I think that in the Naples area the berid and borreby type is quite uncommon though.
I'd say the alpine\dinarid(with many blue\greenish eyes) is the commoner with occasional nordic and keltic phenotypes too(especially in the Benevento area)

Foxy
10-14-2010, 11:20 PM
The father of my grandmother was from Naples. I think he comes from this city because he is a merchant. When he arrived in America early last century, he sold ice (very useful before the development or marketing of the refrigerator) in New York and later in Montreal.

As I wrote before, Neaples was dominated by many peoples, including Austrians, Normans and Gothes. You not only find blue eyed people there, but also 100% nordid people sometimes.
Anyway Neaples would be one of the most beautiful city in the world if they would be able to clean mafia and other problems.

Tyrrhenoi
10-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I have a question to italian people here. I'm part Italian from Florence (grandpa) and Naples (grandma).

From what I know ... is that people get robbed so often in Naples - that almost every jewelry-store started to sell's fakes - the only problem is that the demand on fake-juwelery was so high - that the prices reached the 'genuine' jewels.

My granddad always sais about Naples... Napoli, citta dei pazzi! (City of idiots) ....

They have good singers, and the food from naples is fantastic :D

:D

Foxy
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
About social aspect, Campania (the region of Neaples) is controlled by Camorra. Indeed in Italy there is not only a mafia, but 4 mafias:
- Cosa Nostra (Sicily),
- 'Ndrangheta (Calabria),
- Sacra Corona Unita (lol, it means Holy United Crown, Puglia/Apulia, as you call it)
- Camorra (campania).
The only clean region in S.Italy is Basilicata, the most forgotten region of Italy... :(

About social aspects of Camorra.

Today Camorra in considered one of the biggest problem of Southern Italy and the main problem of Campania, being many socio-economical problems of this region directly linked to this organized group.
Today Camorra includes more than 200 affiliated families in the whole Campania, but contacts with this organization have been found also in foreign coutries, like The Netherlands, Portugual, Spain, Romania, France, Brazil, Germany, Albania, Russia, Poland and Dominican Republic.
Camorra is highly active in various fields: recycling of money, traffic of drug, clandestin immigration, exploitation of prostitution, infiltration to obtain contracts for public works and usury.
The families control precise territories. The interference by an other family in affairs/territory controlled by an other family generates often feuds (like Feud of Scampia, 2004-2005).
Differently from Cosa Nostra, Camorra has not a gerarchis asset. The 236 families are indipendent and alliances and conflicts have a privatistic character.

CAMORRA AND FOREIGN MAFIAS
CAMORRA AND THE CHINESE TRIADS

Camorra had relations with the Chinese Triads for the management and traffic of contraffact Italian brands, of which Camorra decided the final price. On the contrary Camorra helped Chineses to avoid controls over their products. Some Neapolitan bosses have entered in the Chinese society.

CAMORRA AND NIGERIAN MAFIA.

Camorra has contacts also with Nigerians for the traffic of drugs and of prostitution. In requital of the permission, given by Camorrists to Nigerians, to organize the trade of women, Nigerians have to pay a percentage to Camorra.

ECONOMY.

Illegal profits per year by Camorra:

7.230 millions € in traffic of drug
2.582 millions € in crimes connected to businesses like recycling of money, illegal contracts of public works, etc.etc.
258 millions € in prostitution
2.066 millions € in traffic of weapons (Camorra has the primate!)
362 millions € in usury and estortion.

In short this is why other Italians dislike Neapolitans. There are not racial reasons, simply when we see a Neapolitan in our mind it appears a suspect that he/she can be here for camorristic reasons. Even becouse 236 families are not so few....

Ps: If you go to Neaples and don't want to die, avoid Scampia and Acerra suburbs. And don't enter in the Spanish borough: it is in the central part of Neaples, you recognize it becouse they are dark backstreets. If you enter there and meet someone who want to robe you just know that he could kill you without problems.
The few times I went to Neaples I hiddened my photomachine and was wearing no jewels to don't catch attention. For the rest you survive pretty well.