PDA

View Full Version : Canada denied seat on UN Security Council

Sol Invictus
10-15-2010, 03:21 AM
The Canadian Press
October 13, 2010

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Canada suffered its second diplomatic black eye in as many days Tuesday as it withdrew in defeat from a bid to rejoin the mighty United Nations Security Council — the first time in the powerful panel's 64-year history that the country has failed to secure a seat.

Canada’s UN Ambassador John McNee made the announcement after it became clear that Portugal was well on its way to defeating Canada to claim the second of two available spots in the UN's most exclusive and coveted club. Germany won the first seat on the first ballot.

The development represented a significant embarrassment to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who travelled to New York last month to plead Canada's case.

But despite recent rumblings among member nations about Canada's decidedly Israel-friendly foreign policy, a shortage of aid to Africa and Harper's perceived indifference to the UN, the federal Conservative government almost immediately laid the blame for the loss at the feet of Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff.

Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon insisted that Ignatieff's comments last month questioning whether Canada had earned a spot on the council almost single-handedly put the boots to Canada's hopes. Cannon denied any knowledge that other issues might have played a role.

"I do not think that this is a repudiation of Canada's foreign policy," he told a news conference.

"Canada ran a campaign based on principle; we ran a strong campaign. Unfortunately, back home in Canada, the leader of the opposition determined that Canada does not speak with one voice."

Several ambassadors who emerged from the vote made no mention of Ignatieff's remarks; one had never even heard of him.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/canada/article/661045--canada-denied-seat-on-un-security-council

Bloodeagle
10-15-2010, 03:58 AM
So the United Nations does have a big boys club for its member nations security! Why every member nation can't have a seat in this United Nations Security Council is beyond me. ;)
I do wonder how a nation like Portugal could beat out Canada for a seat in this security council, considering Canada's vast strategic position across most of the North American continent!
I suppose not enough money was thrown their way this time around.

Sol Invictus
10-15-2010, 04:02 AM
No worries. I think it merits a celebration in my opinion. The less my country partakes in the new world order the better off we will be.

Bloodeagle
10-15-2010, 04:16 AM
No worries. I think it merits a celebration in my opinion. The less my country partakes in the new world order the better off we will be.

I understand but being signatory to the UN and not having a say in its security council is worthy of revolt!
Now, Portugal and Germany will help to decide troop movements in Canada in the event a security problem, arises! :)

Sol Invictus
10-15-2010, 04:27 AM
I understand but being signatory to the UN and not having a say in its security council is worthy of revolt!

Maybe. I think the presence of the UN and it's involvement anywhere in my country is worthy of revolt, nay, it's very existence on this earth should be enough.

Now, Portugal and Germany will help to decide troop movements in Canada in the event a security problem, arises! :)

Not if they wanna sail back home in body bags. ;)

MagnaLaurentia
10-15-2010, 04:46 AM
The Canadian Press
October 13, 2010

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Canada suffered its second diplomatic black eye[...]

:laugh:

Grumpy Cat
10-15-2010, 05:31 AM

Stephen Harper is all about the New World Order.

MagnaLaurentia
10-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Stephen Harper is all about the New World Order.

oh.. and what about Ignatieff?