PDA

View Full Version : Lima in the 30's and 40's: The gem of South America

Gamera
10-16-2010, 01:19 AM
You might think that South American capitals look quite shit nowadays. And it's true. In the case of Lima, the capital of Peru, it's quite of a horrid city nowadays, but that wasn't the case just a few decades ago.

Lima, where I live, was considered the most beautiful city in South America, it was called "The Garden City", and it was populated mainly by mestizos and whites, and you could clearly see the European people's influence in the city.

Lima went to hell, and I must say it, because of all the migration it suffered from millions of people of the highlands (amerindians), which started in the late 50's and continues until today. Lima passed from being a city of 1 million people to 8 million people in 30 years. And it all went to hell, especially during the 70's and 80's. This process changed completely the face of Lima.

Here, however, I want to show everyone here how Lima used to be, with these great videos, which are in English as well. A Lima that won't ever return. Enjoy:

Lima in 1937 (colour):

mqRl0XPXMoY

Lima in 1944:

7EKEDz2tfww

Rqm1Qqq-_g4

-EJ2vR1tN2Q

"Lima family", 1944:

E_5hQPmgWrE

zG6Abv0b_fU

(look at 2:15 in this video, all the girls in that school were white European. nowadays that would be absolutely unthinkable...):

l6ESrfcL69o

Gamera
10-16-2010, 01:51 AM
I found this great pics to show you guys how the demographics changed in Lima. This is a very important avenue in the 40's:

http://www.arkivperu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/av_brasil2.jpg

This is the same avenue nowadays:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9750/magdalenaxi4.jpg

You can clearly see how Lima's face changed there with the migration of millions of people.

Gamera
12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Bump with a new idea:

Could what happened to Lima be an example of what could happen to major European cities if non-European immigration continues to flow into them?

lei.talk
12-25-2010, 05:03 PM
that would seem a reasonable conclusion (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315375#post315375).

rick1977
05-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Bump with a new idea:

Could what happened to Lima be an example of what could happen to major European cities if non-European immigration continues to flow into them?

Most Definitely... Los Angeles / Houston and Dallas are on their way to looking Like Lima.... The Elites and Upper/Upper Middle the bottom 50% will be a Mixed Bag Of Sewage.... With no real hope... to rise beyond the $10 p/h... America will be a Giant and Richer Brazil!

That said I think our Western and by default global Economies will collapse well before then!

Incal
10-22-2022, 01:43 AM
Lima went to hell, and I must say it, because of all the migration it suffered from millions of people of the highlands (amerindians), which started in the late 50's and continues until today. Lima passed from being a city of 1 million people to 8 million people in 30 years. And it all went to hell, especially during the 70's and 80's. This process changed completely the face of Lima.

He was totally right.

hurtuv
10-22-2022, 02:24 AM
He was totally right.

That same general pattern is being repeated in the world on the larger scale unfortunately, just as the same outcome.