PDA

View Full Version : Math: is it an art, or a science?

Iloko
01-02-2017, 07:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OJOZIKZ.jpg

Poll will be added..

Fincher
01-02-2017, 08:12 PM
It's a science because it be racist.

LP0956
01-02-2017, 08:13 PM
A shit

Smitty
01-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Neither? I don't see how it could be classed as an art. Science, possibly. But it's too theoretical, I think. Where is the observational component?

TenaciousTopologist
03-29-2017, 12:55 AM
it is scientific in its explanations.

it is artistic in its revelations.

Magnolia
03-29-2017, 01:04 AM
It is music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0tLbl5LrJ8

♥ Lily ♥
03-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Maths covers a range of areas. I loved maths at secondary school and was always in the top maths class like my mum when she was in secondary school who also loves maths and music. I was hopeless with physics though. Algebra was one of my favourite areas of studying mathematics. I've always viewed maths as being closer to a science than an expressive art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRMqo0jOsc

Shah-Jehan
03-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Maths covers a range of areas. I loved maths at secondary school and was always in the top maths class like my mum when she was in secondary school who also loves maths and music. I was hopeless with physics though. Algebra was one of my favourite areas of studying mathematics. I've always viewed maths as being closer to a science than an expressive art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRMqo0jOsc

What did you study or study currently in University?

Colonel Frank Grimes
03-29-2017, 04:25 AM
It's a language. The language of God.

I'm one deep mo' fo'

Svipdag
03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Mathematics is a language.

Amortentia
05-23-2017, 01:03 AM
It is both. Beautiful art with a complex science to it. I would also agree that it is a language just as music is.

Ziveth
06-30-2017, 07:10 PM
A science, i think

Herr Abubu
06-30-2017, 07:23 PM
It is clearly not a science if the usual definitions of science as the accumulation of knowledge through hypothesis and experimentation undergirded by empiricist views are applied. Mathematics is completely a priori and non-empirical in nature. It is more like philosophy, which like mathematics, is the application of the principles of logic to different types of questions.

Insuperable
06-30-2017, 07:31 PM
I can't say that it is equally both since math is primarily a science, but definitely art can be drawn from mathematics.

Svipdag
07-02-2017, 03:49 AM
When the college where I was teaching was in the throes of evolving into a university, there were meetings to determine to which division of the university various departments ought to be assigned. The chairman of the math department at the time got up in a meeting where his department was being discussed and proclaimed "Mathematics is the highest form of art."

In my opinion, mathematics is a symbolic language especially suited to the expression of statements in deductive logic.

Tauromachos
07-02-2017, 05:07 AM
Math:is it an art or science?

Both

Fractal
07-02-2017, 05:35 AM
Math is the most useless subject to study (pure) unless you're aiming to become an Applied Mathematician - in which case you'll be thinking about Differential Equations (ordinary and partial) and numerical analysis nonstop.

Lessenech
07-02-2017, 05:36 AM
It's metaphysics, so neither.

Bogdan
08-24-2018, 02:25 PM
Both.

gıulıoımpa
08-24-2018, 02:27 PM
in it's simplest form it is art.

in it's most complete form is how the universe works

renaissance12
08-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Mathematic is not difficult... the explanations are difficult..

Gold-Shekel
08-24-2018, 02:53 PM
It's science since it has to always be correct, it would be art if 1+1=7 made sense but it doesn't.

renaissance12
08-24-2018, 03:00 PM
The cultural, intellectual and artistic movement of the Renaissance, which saw a resurgence of learning based on classical sources ( Romans and Greek ), began in Italy around the 14th Century, and gradually spread across most of Europe over the next 3 centuries. Science and art were still very much interconnected and intermingled at this time, as exemplified by the work of artist/scientists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Piero della Francesca( some of the best mathematicians in their time ), and it is no surprise that, just as in art, revolutionary work in the fields of philosophy and science was soon taking place.
In the Renaissance Italy of the early 16th Century, Bologna University in particular was famed for its intense public mathematics competitions.
It was in just such a competion that the unlikely figure of the young, self-taught Tartaglia Nicoḷ revealed to the world the formula for solving first one type, and later all types, of cubic equations (equations with terms including x3), an achievement hitherto considered impossible and which had stumped the best mathematicians of China, India and Islamic world.

Italian renaissance mathematicians such as Gerolamo Cardano ( inventor of probabilistic calculus and complex numbers, discovery of cubic formula equations together with Tartaglia ) Raphael Bombelli, Del Ferro, were responsible for the most important developments in algebra since Babylonians ( Indians invented decimal number but their "algebra" was, in some way, inferior to Archimedes's mathematics.. ..who was able to find the formula of parabolic area using Romans number ).

With Hindu-Arabic numerals, standardized notation and the new language of algebra at their disposal, the stage was set for the European mathematical revolution of the 17th Century in Italy France England and Germany....and later in Switzerland..

Annie999
08-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Until I met my fiance who is a PhD scientist, I would have answered math is just a science. Now he's made me see math can ALSO be art. You might wonder how? There are many ways to solve and prove things, and you can do it with so much grace that it becomes an art . I thought that was not possible but he's show me many examples and even me who hates math saw it.

renaissance12
08-24-2018, 03:34 PM
Piero della Francesca

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a8/4b/46/a84b4608e8c094c1bb7d17f6bdd876ea--milan-italy-national-gallery.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5l9KX0U4AAS1CE.jpg