PDA

View Full Version : An interesting counterpoint to atheism

Grumpy Cat
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I should add that I am an atheist, as is the director of this film. But I watched a movie called Route 132 which is a social commentary on atheism in Canada.

DitZqQhCtT8

The director's theory is that atheism has left many modern Canadians unable to cope with loss. Route 132 follows a rational yet angry sociologist named Gilles who goes on a road trip down after his small child dies. Route 132 is not only the longest highway in Quebec, but it passes through the Bas-Saint-Laurent, or the Lower Saint Lawrence river region, viewed by many here as the cradle of Francophone culture in North America.

On his excursion, Gilles connects with the extended family he has forgotten and the traditional Catholic culture of which he has grown contemptuous. Ultimately, his fury is transformed into acceptance. It is a film about loss, of both loved ones and the religion and culture that for centuries gave structure and meaning to people's lives.

I thought it was worth discussion. What do you think?

Loki
10-18-2010, 10:34 PM
The director's theory is that atheism has left many modern Canadians unable to cope with loss.

This is about religion's supportive role then, i.e. the proverbial crutch. No one can deny this, however any true atheist won't start believing in God, just so they can cope with life better. It will mean the (ex) atheist will then live a lie by pretending to believe in God just so it can help him/her through life's hard times. I would never be able to do that. I don't believe in God and life's pressures won't make God more real to me.

Grey
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
6Eoxt1hRm9c

After long study and experience, I have come to the conclusion that [1] all religions are true; [2] all religions have some error in them; [3] all religions are almost as dear to me as my own Hinduism, in as much as all human beings should be as dear to one as one's own close relatives. My own veneration for other faiths is the same as that for my own faith; therefore no thought of conversion is possible.

antonio
10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Mahatma was a great man. It was not as brilliant as Einstein. It was not White, not even Aryan(for Bramanic his stirpe was). He fight an European empire (for me one of the main preconditions of a civilizated world). Etc. Unfortunatelly nowadays people (even dumbest ones) adores Einstein whilst if not ridiculized at least not care so much on people like Mahatma.

Pd. And it's a science-studied guy who declares it.:thumb001:

The Ripper
10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
If I understand your description of the movie correctly, the idea can be summarized in this song:

I'm sure you know it. :)

cKCRHhmHvjg

M.I.A.
01-01-2011, 02:12 AM
There's no reason to depend on a false "god" to cope with the loss of a loved one. It's completely irrational, fake, and empty. I don't have respect for that at all. Religious and non-religious people cope in different ways, I think neither is superior to another.

Hess
03-07-2011, 01:17 AM
The human mind has a number of ways to cope to with tragedy. Religion is simply one of many. The reason why people see religion as a crutch is because that is the way they were taught from birth. I don't fault them because they don't know any better.

Schiessrothried
04-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Seems interesting

Kukulkan
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
This is in no way a counter to Atheism, it just tells ut that reality is harsch.
And that religion is an easy way to fool yourself out of reality.