PDA

View Full Version : Songwriters today "pretty awful," says Elton John

Grumpy Cat
10-19-2010, 02:06 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - British singer Elton John described today's songwriters as "pretty awful," pop music as uninspiring and talent shows like "American Idol" as boring in an interview published on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old singer of "Your Song" and "Candle in the Wind," one of the most successful pop artists of all time, added that the instant fame which talent shows can bring was not the way to become a genuine star.

"It's important they (pop stars) write their own songs, so they're not at the mercy of anyone," John, whose real name is Reginald Dwight, told Britain's Radio Times magazine.

"Songwriters today are pretty awful, which is why everything sounds the same. Contemporary pop isn't very inspiring."

He said he was a fan of young female pop acts Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga, before adding:

"I'm not a fan of talent shows. I probably wouldn't have lasted if I'd gone on one. I was asked to judge 'American Idol'. I couldn't do it because I won't slag anyone off.

"Also I don't want to be on television. It's become boring, arse-paralysingly brain crippling."

He said "X Factor" judge and music producer Simon Cowell had discovered some talented acts through his TV shows, "but the only way to sustain a career is to pay your dues in small ... clubs.

"I was in a band at 17, became a songwriter with Bernie Taupin and wasn't successful until we'd had six years of hard graft and disappointment, as well as great times.

"TV vaults you to superstardom and then you have to back it up, which is hard. (British 'X Factor' winners) Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke are at the mercy of the next song they can get.

"('Britain's Got Talent' runner-up) Susan Boyle was an endearing phenomenon, but I fear she might not understand the rigors of showbusiness."

John is releasing a new album this week, "The Union," a collaboration with his musical hero Leon Russell, and plays the BBC Electric Proms in London on October 28.

(Reporting by Mike Collett-White; Editing by Steve Addison)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/101019/entertainment/centertainment_us_eltonjohn

I agree with him. Not the biggest Elton John fan, but I'd still say he's a better songwriter than those today.

Cato
10-19-2010, 02:16 AM
The king of musical queens tells it like it is.

Curtis24
10-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Most rap artists just do remixes of songs from the Motown era and occasionally 70s rock; and songs by singers like Britney Spears are usually written by middle-aged Jewish guys.

Such a strange culture we have, where adult men write songs about what teenage girls supposedly feel inside.

Eldritch
10-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree with him. Not the biggest Elton John fan, but I'd still say he's a better songwriter than those today.

Oh definitely, at least based on what little I follow today's pop music.

Besides, I don't really think these pop idol shows are ultimately about musical talent anyway.

Most rap artists just do remixes of songs from the Motown era and occasionally 70s rock; and songs by singers like Britney Spears are usually written by middle-aged Jewish guys.

Max Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin) may be pushing middle age, but he's hardly a Jew. ;)

antonio
10-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Yesterday I dialed a videoclip channel and was unable to keep it more than a few songs. But made me realize the style of crap currently on the rise by just watching two videos feat. one Kesha and the other Kate Perry. I dont know who was copying who, but believe me, it was the same fucking shit, voice style, same prod, same whorish actitude...maybe the only way to go for a barely(term best suited for them) 18 y.o. girl. It's disturbing just to think these two ones supposedly have this thing called talent. Elton John, sometimes I like his music, sometimes I disliked it, was (may still is) in a light-years upper level.

Cato
10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Elton John is a Chopin or a Mozart compared to the vast majority of so-called singers these days- and I don't even really care for his music, but the guy's got talent.

Devils Advocate
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm trying hard to hum an Elton John song. On the other hand I have a Will Young tune down to the very last note.

Two fags, one with talent and the other with a wig.