PDA

View Full Version : Where/when do you do your best deep thinking?

Aemma
02-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Like the question simply asks: Where or when do you do your best deep thinking?

Me, it's while I'm in the shower. (Get your minds out of the gutter boys, yes you all know who you are! :D). As the white noise of the water rushes over me and the overhead bathroom fan whirls above, my mind starts to wander and picks up on whatever free-floating thoughts happen to converge at that moment in time. (Today it was the "Is-Ought" Post for whatever reason). It's a precious several minutes where my own mind seems most relaxed and able to freely think and just be. I seriously do my absolute best thinking in the shower. :bath:

Anyway, where or when do you do your best deep thinking? :meditate:

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Lady L
02-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Well, Aemma, what a cute thread...:)

I would agree, good thinking does happen in the shower. But, living here my great shower thinking becomes compromised by the lack of hot water...we have had a new water heater put in, a new shower head, and still the hot water will only last 7-8 minutes and us women know the gods above know too, we need more time than that...:D Oops this isn't a lack of hot water thread...? :D

I agree anyways that yes, good thinking in the hot shower does inspire some nice thinking...:)

But, since I can't do that so much, here...I will say my best thinking probably is either or 2 things...1) this forum makes me think.... whether I am trying to think of what to say...or trying to figure out what someone else is saying...:tongue and 2) while being stoned and/or at the same time trying to post my most inner thoughts...;)

* Hope this wasn't offensive...:embarrassed

Duh! I think most and most great when driving ya'll :D

Psychonaut
02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Anyway, where or when do you do your best deep thinking? :meditate:

Since my work schedule keeps me awake until 5AM or so, I'm up later than everyone else on my off days too. Once my neighborhood goes to sleep, I love to sit outside and smoke a cigar or pipe under the stars. The silence, cool breeze and solitude make the perfect atmosphere for deep thinking. Most of my really good ideas come to me during these periods.

Brynhild
02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
For me, it's when I relax in the bath. My mind drifts and all sorts of wild inspirational thoughts come into play.

Treffie
02-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm ashamed to say it but I tend to think when I'm on the toilet. :icon_redface:

Jägerstaffel
02-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't be included in this gutter talk now would I????
Haha.

Anyways, I think best late at night. Seems I'm most awake then, though I shouldn't be.

Ulf
02-02-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree with the shower thinking. :thumb001:

I think best when I'm a little drunk off of bourbon whiskey late into the night.

On the contrary though, I can't think around a fire at night, I get too calm and mesmerized by the fire and achieve a zen state.

Rasvalg
02-02-2009, 03:10 AM
I drive 60 miles to work and another 60 back so I would say that that is where I do my best thinning:D

SwordoftheVistula
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Driving and physical activities such as hiking.

Absinthe
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
To answer your question.... (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=907796&postcount=1) :D

Stormraaf
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Jogging atop a mountain overlooking Stellenbosch.

Inese
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I have my best thinking when I am laying in my bed before falling asleep. :) But if I think too much I cant sleep because of emotions, sorrows or joys.

SPQR
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I get do most of my "deep thinking" in this forest:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/Amodeus_308/9-18-08022.jpg

Gooding
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I do my best deep thinking while walking through the woods..either on Skyline Drive or the park at Signal Hill.

Rudy
02-11-2009, 01:53 AM
I do my best thinking when I am lying in bed with no distractions or noises. I do some decent thinking while searching the internet. Sometimes I have some good thoughts while playing the computer game FreeCell.

Oresai
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I`m an insomniac, so for me it`s usually around three am.
The silence is great for doing little else....
Where, is here, Sanday, Orkney, with no traffic or other sounds to distract me, one of my pet hates is too much noise, freaks me out and I can`t function well with it.

Sarmata
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
"Deep thinking" well it's when I meet some friends in the pub and we start disscusioins..."Deep thinking" is finished when we drink to much beers;) I know how it sounds:D but really we meet and talk about history, religion, politics, sometimes other people in the pub are suprised, sometimes they join to our disscusions.

Heimmacht
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Unfortunetly, everywhere.

woody
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm ashamed to say it but I tend to think when I'm on the toilet. :icon_redface:

Don't be ashamed! That's where I do my best thinking...and reading! I call it the "Library". I'll read or think til my legs go numb. It's also the only place that no one bothers me. :thumb001: Unless my daughters (4 and 6) come to visit. Then, they give me no peace. :eek:

Lady L
02-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Don't be ashamed! That's where I do my best thinking...and reading! I call it the "Library". I'll read or think til my legs go numb. It's also the only place that no one bothers me. :thumb001: Unless my daughters (4 and 6) come to visit. Then, they give me no peace. :eek:

Ya ...ya'll don't be ashamed! :D;););)

Seriously though, I never understood how anyone could read while on the toilet...who wants to sit there that long..? And, I personally couldn't concentrate to read there...:confused:

Beorn
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I think far too much. I have to stop myself from doing it. I hate doing simple menial jobs, or duties which take no particular strenuous brain structure, as my mind just thinks, thinks, thinks.

To much thinking can drive a person insane. I therefore aim to achieve complete silence in my mind when alone.

woody
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Ya ...ya'll don't be ashamed! :D;););)

Seriously though, I never understood how anyone could read while on the toilet...who wants to sit there that long..? And, I personally couldn't concentrate to read there...:confused:

Oh, we keep at least 1 copy of the Bathroom Reader in there. I sometimes grab any Asatru book nearby to read a few pages. I even take my laptop in there if I'm in the middle of an email, reading a post, or posting. Hel, I even continue chatting while in there on the throne. I had a local Heathen toast me at Sumbel, saying that no matter how busy I am, I still have time for my friends. Later did I realize that it was because he found out I was chatting on YIM while taking care of business. I call it "multitasking". :thumb001:

WinterMoon
02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Probably in the car driving........

lei.talk
03-03-2009, 01:14 PM
the deepest sleep is when
an undistracted mind does the deepest thinking (http://forum.lef.org//default.aspx?f=40&m=23528&p=1#m23548).

a mind proficient in ratiocination
("Logic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic) is the non-contradictory identification of the attributes of objects in reality and the relationships between those objects. It is the mental tool that sets the standard for proper thought. It is the foundation of knowledge. It is the means of understanding and clarity. Without logic, we could not distinguish between the true and the false. We could not throw out bad ideas because we could not judge them as bad. Without logic, our minds would be cluttered with so many absurdities and falsehoods that if there was some truth, it would be lost in the garbage of contradictions, fuzzy thoughts, and non-integrated mental images.")
will - on waking - provide marvelously elegant combinations
of the previously un-integrated elements
present in that mind,
before sleep.
:levitate:

Solwyn
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I take a cup of tea in the bathroom and sit on the floor with my to-do lists, phone, planner and whatever else I need and get it all accomplished in the only room with a lock on the door. I save my deep thoughts for the end of the day when I'm drifting off to sleep, LOL.

Allenson
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I drive 60 miles to work and another 60 back so I would say that that is where I do my best thinning:D

I'm half your commute (thirty miles each way)--but I agree, much good thinking comes while I am bouncing along our frost-heaved roads to & fro. ;)

The ride home actually tends to be more mentally productive than the ride in, despite being more of a morning person... :coffee:

MarcvSS
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I cant think, I'm a SkinHead.:p

Aemma
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I cant think, I'm a SkinHead.:p

LOL! Oh jeepers! You can't fool me TattSS! ;)

MarcvSS
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
LOL! Oh jeepers! You can't fool me TattSS! ;)

Goddamned, I knew you had me figured out...

Now I will never ever be able to use the excuse that I reacted without thinking.:p

On the other hand... I can always say it was the booze and not me...

Aemma
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Goddamned, I knew you had me figured out...

Now I will never ever be able to use the excuse that I reacted without thinking.:p

On the other hand... I can always say it was the booze and not me...

LOL! Nope you can't say that either. :p :D

coldielox
03-07-2009, 02:57 AM
back when i was growing up.. was when i was walking.. as a teen was creek walking mainly and hiking.. now I have kids and a hubby, so I don't get to be alone much.. so shower time is when i go into deep thought :)

Silverfern
03-07-2009, 12:03 PM
In the bath or when the kids were small they fell asleep while you rocked them.

Most times now is when walking along the river or the beach with my dogs.

Barreldriver
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
always in the woods or roaming outside.

Baron Samedi
03-07-2009, 09:35 PM
The shitter.

Seriously.

Barreldriver
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
The shitter.

Seriously.

I have quite a few deep moments on the pot aswell.

WinterMoon
03-12-2009, 03:21 AM
the deepest sleep is when
an undistracted mind does the deepest thinking (http://forum.lef.org//default.aspx?f=40&m=23528&p=1#m23548).

I have my "ah-ha!" moments during sleep. I enjoy finding the answers in my dreams and awakening with the solution clear as day..... sleep is my incubation period. :thumbs up

SPQR
03-12-2009, 04:19 AM
I have my "ah-ha!" moments during sleep. I enjoy finding the answers in my dreams and awakening with the solution clear as day..... sleep is my incubation period. :thumbs up

This has happened to me a few times as well.

One time in particular stands out in my mind. In my dream I went to my scorpion cage (I have pet scorpions), and I lifted the towel that is ussually over the cage to keep it warm. And I looked in and they were all dead, dry and brittle. Like they had been without water for a really long time. So when I woke up, I looked in my scorpion tank and realized they had recently run out of water :p I reminded myself to water them in my dream

Ellethwyn
04-06-2022, 11:56 PM
Definitely in the garden, especially while pulling weeds. Also, while on walks or hikes.

Celestia
04-07-2022, 12:15 AM
Anywhere in nature.

Latinus
04-07-2022, 02:13 AM
At dawn, when everybody is sleeping, no noises and I'm all by myself.

Perfect time of the day to reflect about this crazy thing called:life.

Andullero
04-07-2022, 02:37 AM
At dawn, when everybody is sleeping, no noises and I'm all by myself.

Perfect time of the day to reflect about this crazy thing called:life.

Agreed, although in my case it happens in the workplace early in the morning. I am usually the first to arrive, and take the chance to do some deep meditations while advancing part of the day's work.

Barba
07-27-2023, 05:32 AM
Early in the morning, with the first cup of coffee, before everyone else wakes up

zyungh
07-29-2023, 05:43 PM
While hiking

calxpal
07-30-2023, 01:43 AM
After I've had a positive interaction with someone