PDA

View Full Version : Men: The Oppressed Gender?

MissMischief
01-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Are men actually oppressed in modern Western society?

- Men are most likely to suffer from violent crime.

- Men are most likely to become homeless.

- Only 8% of domestic violence services are designed specifically for men.

- 4 out of 5 suicides are male.

- Men have no reproductive rights and are often victims of paternity fraud.

- Epidemic of false accusations are near half of all rape cases. False accusations on men from sexual harassment to rape to child molestation.

- The education system is linear not modular, a system that favours women.

- Men are now at a 2:1 disadvantage when looking for work in STEM fields.

- College enrollment and graduation of males is declining and has been for decades.

- In most divorce cases, men face the harshest discrimination in family courts.

- Women receive custody in 84% of child custody cases.

- 99% of combats deaths are male.

- 94% of industrial deaths male.

- 76% of homicides are male etc.

RN97
01-24-2017, 11:52 PM
No, only instinct remnants of the times when we were hunter gatherers, that's what the source of most of the bitching of these feminists and meninists.
Most of it at least, some of the issues are legit.....

Ultra
01-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Oppressed is the wrong word I think, but men are overall disadvantaged when compared to women in most instances, yes.

N1019
01-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Yes.

Empowered, free-thinking white men are being beaten down and kept in check because they are a threat to the global power structure. It turns out that policies associated with feminism and cultural Marxism are great ways of doing it.

Many users on this forum are simply too young and lack the life experience required to see it, and to make matters worse, have been raised since early childhood to accept it.

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-25-2017, 12:36 AM
I want an advocacy group. I want one now.

Spyy
01-25-2017, 12:44 AM
We men also have less thumbs up per post than women

Caius
01-25-2017, 12:45 AM
no because we enjoy it

zhaoyun
01-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Only in certain circumstances, not overall.

Anima Libera
01-25-2017, 01:09 AM
Us being victims of war mostly, doesn't mean oppression - it's that men far outnumber women, thus we die more in war.

frankhammer
01-25-2017, 01:09 AM
Take a teaspoon of cement and harden the fuck up...

Hamlet
01-25-2017, 01:14 AM
Men have it harder than women, but men are also just plain better than women (no offence ladies), so it's not a huge problem. Same thing happens with Whites vs Blacks in S. Africa.

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-25-2017, 01:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gaYyNk7QA

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-25-2017, 01:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZFK985ZEA

#TeamMelGibson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EJV4w6u7Q

Oneeye
01-25-2017, 02:01 AM
Society always will hold men and women to different standards. I don't mind, I don't want a genderless society.

Óttar
01-25-2017, 03:18 AM
Men are disadvantaged because people just assume a priori that women are oppressed, and this must then mean that men are not also oppressed. Feminists, for all their talk of equality, haven't sufficiently analyzed men's issues and acknowledged the effects that patriarchy has had, and continues to have on men. Patriarchy refers to certain cultural assumptions and privileges that have been passed down from generation to generation with the sacrifice of men's freedom being the price paid to access said privileges, and does not merely translate as patriarchy = men per se. Often you will hear dismissive comments that a man's perspective doesn't matter, or that a man doesn't have a right to an opinion on feminist issues. This dismissive attitude is prejudicial because it is based on identity politics and not on whether a man is actually knowledgeable on feminist discourse.

If you think about the issues that feminist discourse brings up the most (objectification, entitlement, "male privilege", etc.), they are presented from a sort of "tunnel-vision" perspective where it is obvious that many feminists have not stopped to consider that they too have certain advantages that men simply do not have access to. Indeed, they have not sufficiently checked their privilege. I'm speaking particularly about how, generally, women have much more access to prolific sex-lives and the attentions and affections of the opposite sex, should they choose to take advantage of it. Of course, a woman will not subjectively experience the "weight of traditional masculinity", i.e. the burdens, stresses, and responsibilities which men are expected to carry merely because they were born men.

I get the feeling that feminist discourse assumes that all men are Donald Trump, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, George W. Bush, etc. They don't consider the life of a common construction laborer who must rent his body out to a capitalist fat-cat who exploits him and only pays him a meager wage while pocketing most of the wealth generated by his labor. In this way, the common construction laborer is not much different than a prostitute. Indeed, they are both renting out their bodies. Some anti-prostitution feminists will say that a prostitute does not engage in her work willingly (often painting prostitutes as a monolithic entity, and not considering that there are many who enjoy what they do), but can we really say that a construction laborer engages in his work willingly? Both may be compelled to do their work out of necessity i.e. food, clothing, etc. Imagine you are a construction laborer who only gets paid $15-20 an hour to put his body under the stress of back-breaking labor. You spend 8 - 10 hours in a hot, rubber suit in the hot sun with your skin burned dark brown, and then after all that you go home to wash all the sweat, stink, and grime off of your body, and then collapse exhausted on the couch only to do it day in and day out. Who would choose this, if not out of sheer necessity?

Óttar
01-25-2017, 04:23 AM
#Team Mel Gibson

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1U2xj8b5Uqo/maxresdefault.jpg

There was a meme with the above image and above it said, "Look Out Jews." Hilarious.

Queen B
01-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Men are disadvantaged because people just assume a priori that women are oppressed, and this must then mean that men are not also oppressed. Feminists, for all their talk of equality, haven't sufficiently analyzed men's issues and acknowledged the effects that patriarchy has had, and continues to have on men. Patriarchy refers to certain cultural assumptions and privileges that have been passed down from generation to generation with the sacrifice of men's freedom being the price paid to access said privileges, and does not merely translate as patriarchy = men per se. Often you will hear dismissive comments that a man's perspective doesn't matter, or that a man doesn't have a right to an opinion on feminist issues. This dismissive attitude is prejudicial because it is based on identity politics and not on whether a man is actually knowledgeable on feminist discourse.

To me, patriarchy is bad both for males and females.
However , if you ask f.e. here, if men prefer patriarchy/how things are now - over feminism/equal society (don't know the term), then they will prefer the patriarchic society 99%.

Even if it is bad for men,too, men are still more privilleged (compared to women) and men still have it better, and they have several disadvantages that they don't want to lose.

Óttar
01-25-2017, 06:34 AM
To me, patriarchy is bad both for males and females.
However , if you ask f.e. here, if men prefer patriarchy/how things are now - over feminism/equal society (don't know the term), then they will prefer the patriarchic society 99%.
This is true.

Even if it is bad for men,too, men are still more privilleged (compared to women) and men still have it better, and they have several disadvantages that they don't want to lose.
Are men more privileged in Eastern Europe, Asia, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, and in the developing world? Yes. But in the Anglosphere and Western Europe I have a hard time understanding just how men are more privileged than women. Women have recently outnumbered men in law schools and they can become doctors and powerful business people if they so choose. There is nothing holding a woman back from achieving wealth and success that does not also impede individual men (money for tuition, education, social connections etc.)

Queen B
01-25-2017, 07:17 AM
Are men more privileged in Eastern Europe, Asia, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, and in the developing world? Yes. But in the Anglosphere and Western Europe I have a hard time understanding just how men are more privileged than women. Women have recently outnumbered men in law schools and they can become doctors and powerful business people if they so choose. There is nothing holding a woman back from achieving wealth and success that does not also impede individual men (money for tuition, education, social connections etc.)
This doesn't makes women more priviledged. This is makes them equal on education.

But there are other aspects that makes men more priviledged - on general. Either by a stretch on the law, either by society.
Surely, not as much as on the areas you mentioned above, but still.
You will still have judges giving to a rapist like Brock Turner 3 months ''not to ruin his athletic career'' .
You will still have people calling rape victims as sluts (see the recent case with Upsalla live fb video), and women being afraid to even report a rape because they will get more backlash than justice.
You will still have men being congratulated and women being critisized for doing exactly the same thing. (sexual life).
You will still find women being called names, just because they rejected the sexual advances of someone #byefillipe.
You will still hear '' Who did she blow or fucked'' if a woman gets a promotion.
You still have a bunch of males have a say to a) what can or can't do with their bodies,b) what kind of support they can get from foreigner's money (And the PP's assistance yes, perform abortions, but that like the 3% of what they offer) .

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that in some aspects, like custody f.e. women are (way) more privilledged, and I do believe that a patriarchic society harms both women and men, but in spite of them, the problems still exist.

Óttar
01-25-2017, 07:32 AM
You will still have men being congratulated and women being critisized for doing exactly the same thing. (sexual life).
I have to disagree on this one. I actually think that sex and dating is the one area where women are extremely privileged relative to men. The reason why a woman is shamed and a man is praised for having a prolific sex life is probably due to male jealousy. As a woman, you have a huge advantage over a man in the dating game. As a woman, you have constant access to the attentions and affections of the opposite sex. You will never have a lonely Friday night or weekend unless you choose to have one. You can have sex whenever you want. A man cannot do so unless he is very charismatic or rich. On OKCupid, even ugly girls can have full inboxes in 2 days. Men are generally completely ignored on dating sites.

A woman is not praised for having a prolific sex life because there is no effort involved. For a man it is much harder to achieve.

This constant access to male attention and affection means that women become desensitized to the privilege of being a woman and take men for granted. A woman can be a complete bitch to a man in a relationship and he might put up with it because he doesn't have any other options. A woman can treat him like shit, and even if he stands up to her and dumps her, it does not affect her at all, she can merely replace him in a couple of days. This means a woman doesn't have to have empathy or a sense of personal responsibility because there are no consequences for her actions. She will always be placated by male attention.

Mortimer
01-25-2017, 07:34 AM

I think nowadays genetic tests are affordable for almost everyone. But in some countries they are outlawed. I think in Germany and Austria it is outlawed, not sure what this means though. https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/89800-changes-to-paternity-testing-law-in-germany/

Bezprym
01-25-2017, 07:55 AM

I already explained you once or twice, why men are being "congratulated". You ignored it, though.

Anyway, I don't feel oppressed. Neither most of women in this country.

Bosniensis
01-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Are men actually oppressed in modern Western society?

- Men are most likely to suffer from violent crime.

- Men are most likely to become homeless.

- Only 8% of domestic violence services are designed specifically for men.

- 4 out of 5 suicides are male.

- Epidemic of false accusations are near half of all rape cases. False accusations on men from sexual harassment to rape to child molestation.

- The education system is linear not modular, a system that favours women.

- Men are now at a 2:1 disadvantage when looking for work in STEM fields.

- College enrollment and graduation of males is declining and has been for decades.

- In most divorce cases, men face the harshest discrimination in family courts.

- Women receive custody in 84% of child custody cases.

- 99% of combats deaths are male.

- 94% of industrial deaths male.

- 76% of homicides are male etc.

Gifts of Bizarre Western Culture... Animals and Beasts.

But what comes around goes around... nothing bad is done without consequences.

Herr Abubu
01-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Men aren't oppressed because it is and always will be a man's world. It's not the regular Joe's world, though. Oh no. It's the world of the capitalists, all of them men.

People who speak about patriarchy don't know what they're talking about at all. Open up a history book and understand pre-modern societies before you speak out about it.

Women, even feminists, are in fact extremely oppressed, together with these regular Joe's. If they knew what was best for them, they would bitch for the return of patriarchy.

However, as I said, it's the world of capitalists, and the world is belief. The world is belief, so if these capitalists can affect people's thought, they control them.

They create slaves who happily serve in their worst interest, and who worship and idolize that which ruins them.

Óttar
01-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Men aren't oppressed because it is and always will be a man's world. It's not the regular Joe's world, though. Oh no. It's the world of the capitalists, all of them men.

People who speak about patriarchy don't know what they're talking about at all. Open up a history book and understand pre-modern societies before you speak out about it.
Definition patriarchy.

(Actually, not all of them are men, but...)

Queen B
01-25-2017, 08:45 AM
I have to disagree on this one. I actually think that sex and dating is the one area where women are extremely privileged relative to men. The reason why a woman is shamed and a man is praised for having a prolific sex life is probably due to male jealousy. As a woman, you have a huge advantage over a man in the dating game. As a woman, you have constant access to the attentions and affections of the opposite sex. You will never have a lonely Friday night or weekend unless you choose to have one. You can have sex whenever you want. A man cannot do so unless he is very charismatic or rich. On OKCupid, even ugly girls can have full inboxes in 2 days. Men are generally completely ignored on dating sites.
Its both Yes and a No on that.
It is correct (yes) for average women. Not for ugly ones. Believe me, ugly women have the same rejection that men have.
For pretty women, it is as easy as handsome men, they can easily get laid.
The main difference is in average looking people where yes, women have it easier.
This is because in general women are more picky than men. I mean that a good looking women will look for a good looking men (mostly). A good looking man will go for a good looking woman, but if its just to get laid, he will also go to an average woman, too.

When a man has sex with 10 women, and when a woman has sex with 10 men, both chose to have it casual sex with those 10. The issue is that by choice they both had casual sex. not how easy they achieved it .

I think you are more right on the fact that women are shamed because of male jelousy.

A woman is not praised for having a prolific sex life because there is no effort involved. For a man it is much harder to achieve.
This constant access to male attention and affection means that women become desensitized to the privilege of being a woman and take men for granted. A woman can be a complete bitch to a man in a relationship and he might put up with it because he doesn't have any other options. A woman can treat him like shit, and even if he stands up to her and dumps her, it does not affect her at all, she can merely replace him in a couple of days. This means a woman doesn't have to have empathy or a sense of personal responsibility because there are no consequences for her actions. She will always be placated by male attention.
I disagree with that. You are talking for pretty women. For women that actually have the luxury to act like this.
How many women are treated like shit and don't dumb the guy?
How many women are abused, cheated, etc , and still stay with the loser ?
How many women stay to toxic relationships, compared to men staying in toxic relationships? I'm pretty sure the rate is higher

Regardless of the above, I think you got the grasp that either by society, either by streched laws, men still are more privilleged. Not as much as in Muslim, African ,etc countries, but it still exists.

Enflamme
01-25-2017, 08:47 AM
No + feminist thread spotted...

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-25-2017, 04:01 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1U2xj8b5Uqo/maxresdefault.jpg

There was a meme with the above image and above it said, "Look Out Jews." Hilarious.

Mel Gibson is awesome (although I rarely like the films he directs but he's a great actor). Unfortunately he's a sucker for bad women.

Graham
01-25-2017, 04:41 PM
If I am ever on a sinking ship, it is us polite males who will go down when the dinghys run out. Oppressed.

Plus us men have to consume more calories on average, so we should get subsidised burgers and pizza. Oppressed.

Plus Man flu jibes. Oppressed

Going to march for it.

Bobby Martnen
01-03-2018, 07:44 PM
But there are other aspects that makes men more priviledged - on general.

Men have a lot of issues, many of which are much more serious than modern feminist issues

Read this :https://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights/an-introduction-to-the-mens-rights-movement/

Bodily Autonomy

Female genital mutilation is now illegal in many countries, and international organisations work to reduce this practice. These same societies often refuse to grant boys the same bodily autonomy that they grant girls – the right to be protected from unnecessary medical procedures. The men’s rights movement objects to male genital mutilation (also known as circumcision) on the same grounds as female genital mutilation. Both violate the human rights of the person being mutilated and both should be illegal. In many countries today all people have protection from unnecessary medical procedures except for infant boys. That the foreskin is removed in most cases without anaesthetic exacerbates the problem.

Many do not know that the foreskins of infant boys are not destroyed as medical waste but are rather put to a variety of uses. While it is true a few are used for medical research the majority go to cosmetic companies. In some countries the sale of foreskin by hospitals is a lucrative business.

Disposability

All societies consider men to be disposable. Men face conscription into the military and can be forced into combat against their will. Men overwhelmingly take on the dangerous jobs in society. In general men are expected to be prepared to give up their lives for the good of the community and, specifically, to protect the lives of women. This is so ingrained that few people, men or women, recognise it. Fewer still object to it.

The MRM rejects male disposability in the modern world. While it may have made sense for a society in the past to be prepared to sacrifice it’s men for the survival of the society, the MRM holds that this is no longer necessary. With a population exceeding seven billion that might reach 10 or 11 billion in a few decades, we no longer need the ability to quickly recover numbers and so the original reasons for male disposability no longer apply.

Domestic Violence

Men constitute between one-third and one-half of all victims of domestic violence. A similar proportion of domestic violence aggressors are women. In about half of all cases each partner is both a perpetrator and a victim of domestic violence. The notion that domestic violence is a gendered issue is simply not supported by the evidence. We object to all domestic violence regardless of the genders of the people involved. While women’s shelters receive government funding in many countries, very few men’s shelters exist.

Unnecessary Medication

Children, and boys in particular, are being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and drugged at an alarming rate. This rate has been increasing rapidly in recent years, which is prompting an increase in the sales of drugs to treat the condition. In the United States, for example, sales of ADHD drugs have increased by 89% in four years. This should be of great concern to parents who have received a diagnoses for ADHD for their child and a recommendation to medicate. The long-term consequences of ADHD medication on a forming brain are not yet known.

The MRM is concerned that the normal behaviour of many young boys is being considered abnormal and thus, unnecessarily medicated.

This is not to say that all diagnosis for this condition are invalid, but when the diagnosis rate is changing as rapidly as is currently occurring more needs to be done than simply prescribing more drugs.

Education

The performance of boys in education systems has been declining for decades. Up until the mid 1980’s boys tended to consistently perform better in primary and high school than girls. Educators set out to change this and improve the results for girls. The problem is that this was achieved at the expense of boys and continued well after it was clear that boys were falling significantly behind, not only in comparison to their female peers but even in comparison to male students of the past.

For example, education research clearly shows that boys tend to do better in exam assessment and girls tend to do better in in-class assessment. Relative performance in male and female students can be tracked with changing assessment. There has been a clear move away from exams and towards in-class assessment in the last few decades. One notable exception was a recent reversal of this trend in the UK. As expected the performance of boys in the UK improved with the increase in exam assessment.

Increasingly students have less and less time to burn off energy and are expected to sit quietly in the classroom for hours at a time. This is sometimes characterised as the incredible shrinking lunchtime. While this is probably affecting many students negatively the evidence suggests this is generally more of a problem for boys. It is interesting that this should be happening at a time when office workers are entreated to stand and move around more for their long-term health.

Alarmingly, research shows that in recent years teachers have been academically marking down students with alleged behavioural problems and this has overwhelmingly impacted boys.

The MRM objects to significant gender biases in primary and high school education systems and seeks to reform the system in to one in which both boys and girls can benefit.

The problems don’t end there. Men have been abandoning the dream of a university education in droves, partly because many university campuses have become very hostile for men.

In many US universities, if a man is accused of sexual assault against a woman:

He is not allowed legal counsel,
He is not allowed to know the details of the allegation,
He is not allowed to know the name of his accuser,
He has the burden of proof placed on him,
His opportunity to mount a defense is restricted,
His right to due process of law is curtailed.
It is not surprising that the bulk of such accusations result in the male student being expelled or banned from campus, which generally results in his failing courses even when there was little evidence against him and he is subsequently cleared by the criminal justice system.

In most western countries men now constitute less than 40% of university enrolments. While increasing the female participation rates in certain STEM fields is actively promoted there is little interest in addressing the falling university participation rates among men.

Father’s Rights

The family court system in many countries is heavily biased in favour of mothers. In many countries courts still show a strong preference for granting custody to mothers over fathers. Non-custodial fathers often find themselves with very limited access to their children and routinely find that breaches of court orders by mothers (such as not allowing visits in accordance with court orders) are ignored or receive only a token response from authorities. Many men fight in court for years to get reasonable access to their children, only to give up in despair when they are unable to continue funding court battles and they realise the system has failed them.

Health

Males have higher mortality rates at every age. The difference in life expectancy for men and women actually widened during most of the 20th century, peaking in the 1990s. One significant contributor to this is the far greater amount spent on women’s health than men’s health. In fact most countries spend several times as much money on women’s health as they do on men’s health.

State Discrimination

Even when the evidence against men and women and prior criminal histories are the same men are more likely to be arrested for an offence, more likely to be charged with an offence, more likely to be convicted of an offence, more likely to receive a custodial sentence, and the sentence will on average be significantly longer. Some states openly advocate on this basis. A UK government commission recently advocated the abolition of all women’s prisons. One of the advantages, they argued, was that these prisons could then be used to incarcerate more men.

Laws that are written in a gender neutral way are often not applied that way, and this is most often is to the detriment of men.

In Canada there is a special statute for a woman who kills her own newborn, and this statute limits the sentence to five years imprisonment. A major children’s charity in Canada opposes this, arguing that Canadian law already has sufficient provisions to deal with mental illness and a newborn should have the same right to protection from violence as any other member of the community.

Reproductive Rights

Today men actually lack reproductive rights. Unlike women, in many western countries, men cannot choose not to be a father. In the United States there have been many cases in which a boy has been raped by an adult woman. The boy was not legally able to consent to the sexual activity and yet when the woman became pregnant the boy was required to pay child support (including back payments) on reaching the age of 18.

Many men have been ordered by courts to continue supporting a child that is not theirs, even after they present conclusive evidence (such as the results of a DNA test) showing that they are not the biological father of the child, and in some cases had no relationship with the child at all.

Suicide

Men and boys have suicide rates several times higher than women and girls. Male suicide rates have grown at a far faster rate than female suicide rates over the last century. While the high rates of suicide among men has gained recognition within the last few years there is still a long way to go in addressing this serious problem.

Vilification

We live in a society that routinely vilifies masculinity. The TV formula so often seen in sitcoms of a stupid or inept (but often well-meaning) man married to a super-woman who can solve all of his problems for him by the end of the episode is so common it is a cliché. The mass media is full of negative portrayals of men. The news media is constantly telling us about negative aspects of masculinity. This has led to a general perception of men as people to be feared and suspected.

This had led many airlines to maintain a policy of never seating unaccompanied minors next to men. The implicit assumption here seems to be that the men cannot be trusted next to a child. Many men report feeling uneasy around children, fearful that they will be accused of some terrible act. This is a major cause of men avoiding certain industries, such as childcare and teaching.

A series of t-shirts and other products produced in the United States a few years ago suggested Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them. The manufacturers took no regard for the impact their products would have on young minds.

A very concerning problem relates to the distribution of food following disasters. Many relief agencies believe that if food is given to men they will keep it for themselves rather than provide food to their relatives and children. The world’s largest humanitarian organisation, the World Food Programme, which is part of the United Nations, excludes men from food distribution centres on the basis of gender alone. Many other organisations that distribute food following disasters do this also. Men and boys may not enter the food distribution centres. Women are permitted to enter and are then expected to distribute the food to their relatives. These organisations claim that special provision is made for families with no female members but they are light on details. It seems unlikely that in the hectic environment of a food distribution centre that the staff would have time to properly investigate the claims of men and boys that they have no women in their family. There is anecdotal evidence to suggest these men and boys are simply excluded from the food distribution.

Violence

Men experience high levels of violence in society and there is very little recognition of this. Men are close to twice as likely to experience violence as women, even though it is women (we are so often told) who need to be fearful walking alone at night. Despite popular perception, men are raped almost as often as women. In the US more men are raped in prison then all women in society.

Female-on-male violence is an often ignored problem. Some women, having been taught that violence is gendered, simultaneously object to violence against women but feel that violence against men is inconsequential. One often repeated myth is that a woman cannot physically harm a man. The many men injured and killed by women are a testament to the erroneous nature of this belief.

Society and the government both ignore and marginalise male victims of violence.

Zroota
01-17-2018, 12:41 PM
In today's world, perhaps we are.

Peterski
04-11-2018, 07:37 PM
(...)

It is interesting how feminist-sponsored studies about domestic violence are conducted:

https://www.avoiceformen.com/series/tom-goldens-mental-health-misandry/misandry-in-psychology-part-one/

"(...) Over the years the media and academia have offered a steady stream of information that indicates that women are the only victims of domestic violence and men the only perpetrators. We have all been deceived. What most don’t know is that a part of that deception has been intentional and has come from the scientific community. As hard as it is to believe it is indisputable. Most of us had no idea of this deception until recently. More and more is now coming out about the symmetry of victimization in domestic violence. Men and women are both victims of domestic violence and also perpetrators.

One of the breakthroughs that have helped us identify this deception was the journal response of Murray Straus Ph.D. Straus has been an acclaimed researcher of family and interpersonal violence for many years. In his article he unveils the ways that this misinformation has been intentionally spread via “research.” He shows the seven ways that the truth has been distorted. It is a fascinating yet sobering article that shows how, without actually lying, the researchers were able to distort things and make it appear that it was something that is was not. We all know that once a research study is published the media will latch on and print the results as gospel truth so the media became the megaphone to spread the misinformation once it was inked in the scientific journal. I would highly recommend your reading the full report by Straus.

Let’s go through the seven ways one by one.

1. Suppress evidence. The first type of deceit that Straus describes is suppressing evidence. The researchers would ask questions about both men and women but only report on the answers from women. The half-story would leave readers with the impression that it was only women who were victims even though the researcher had the surveys of male victims on hand they simply didn’t report it. The data on male victims was simply buried while the data on female victims was reported. Straus discusses the Status on Women report from Kentucky in the late 1970’s that was the first to use this strategy.

They collected data on both male and female victims but only the female victims were discussed in the publications. Scientific method is dependent upon creating a hypothesis and testing it. If you get data from your test that is contrary to your original hypothesis this is just as important as getting data that affirms the hypothesis and can be used to adjust your original hypothesis. To ignore ones own data that contradicts the hypothesis is the epitome of disregard to the foundations of scientific inquiry. It leaves the realms of research and enters the realms of propaganda and shaping the outcome to mislead.

2. Avoid Obtaining Data Inconsistent With the Patriarchal Dominance Theory. The second method described by Straus was that of simply not asking the questions when you didn’t want to hear the answers. The surveys would ask the women about their victimhood and ask men about their perpetration but failed to inquire about women’s violence or men’s victimhood. If you ask questions that address only half the problem you are certain to conclude with only half the answers. Straus highlights a talk he gave in Canada where he evaluated 12 studies on domestic violence. Ten out of the twelve only asked questions about female victims and male perpetrators. If you don’t ask the questions you will never get the answers. Publishing half the truth is intentionally misleading.

3. Cite Only Studies That Show Male Perpetration. Straus reveals a number of situations where studies or official documents would cite only studies that showed female victims and male perpetrators. He uses the Department of Justice press release as just one example where they only cite the “life- time prevalence” data because it showed primarily male perpetration. They omitted referencing the “past-year” data even though it was more accurate since it showed females perpetrated 40% of the partner assaults. Straus shows journal articles and names organizations such as the United Nations, World Health Organization, the US Department of Justice and others who used this tactic to make it appear that women were the primary victims of domestic violence and men the primary perpetrators.

4. Conclude That Results Support Feminist Beliefs When They Do Not. Straus showed an example of a study by Kernsmith (2005) where the author claimed that women’s violence was more likely to be in self defense but data to support the claim didn’t exist. Apparently he had made the claim even without any supporting evidence. Straus shows that the self defense category was primarily about anger and coercion and not about self-defense at all but this didn’t stop the researcher from claiming the erroneous results which of course could be quoted by later studies as proof that such data does indeed exist.

5. Create “Evidence” By Citation. The “woozle” effect is described by Straus as when “frequent citation of previous publications that lack evidence mislead us into thinking there is evidence.” He lists the Kernsmaith study and a report from the World Health Organization as examples. Both made claims (without evidence to back it up) that women’s violence was largely in self-defense. The claims were quoted repeatedly and people eventually started to believe that the claims were correct.

6. Obstruct Publication of Articles and Obstruct Funding Research that Might Contradict the Idea that Male Dominance is the Cause of Personal Violence. Straus mentions two incidents that illustrate this claim. One was a call for papers on the topic of partner violence in December of 2005 from the National Institute of Justice where it was stated that “proposals to investigate male victimization would not be eligible.” Another was an objection raised by a reviewer of one of his proposals due to its having said that “violence in relationships was a human problem.” He also stated that the “more frequent pattern is self-censorship by authors fearing that it will happen or that publication of such a study will undermine their reputation, and, in the case of graduate students, the ability to obtain a job.”

7. Harass, Threaten, and Penalize Researchers who Produce Evidence That Contradicts Feminist Beliefs. Straus provides details of a number of incidents where researchers who found evidence of gender symmetry (that both men and women were victims and perpetrators) in domestic violence were harassed or threatened. He described a number of instances such as bomb scares at personal events, being denied tenure and promotions, or “shouts and stomping” meant to drown out an oral presentation. He relates being called a “wife-beater” as a means to denigrate both himself and his previous research findings. (...)"