PDA

View Full Version : If Africa is called the black continent (because of blacks) what about the other continents??

alnortedelsur
01-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Should Europe be called "the white continent", and the Americas (north and south) be called "the red continents" (because of its natives, the Amerindians, having reddish skin tones)??

Discuss...

Methmatician
01-28-2017, 01:20 AM
Australia already took that name. And I've never heard Africa being called the 'black continent'.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
01-28-2017, 01:21 AM
Africa is called Africa. I don't care what Europe is called but Europeans themselves call it Europe. Theres no Native term for the continent of Africa As far as I know. Europeans called it africa after roman general Africanus. Thats about it.

alnortedelsur
01-28-2017, 01:22 AM
Australia already took that name. And I've never heard Africa being called the 'black continent'.

Probably not in English. In that case, my mistake. But they do it sometimes in Spanish.

Myanthropologies
01-28-2017, 01:23 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of Africa being called black continent. I'm sure most people associate Europe with whiteness anyways. If you ask anyone what the people in Europe look like, most of them would probably use the word white to describe them in part.

Al-Meksiki
01-28-2017, 01:24 AM
The term I always saw in English was the "dark continent of Africa" and that was used traditionally because of the fact that so much of Africa was unexplored by Europeans, hence was "dark" or "black" in the sense of being obscured and unknown.

Dr. Bambo
02-02-2017, 10:02 AM
yes

Mens-Sarda
02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Probably not in English. In that case, my mistake. But they do it sometimes in Spanish.

the same happens in Italian, Africa is frequently called "il Continente Nero" (the Black Continent)

it's probably an expression used only in the Romance speaking area