PDA

View Full Version : Italian town bans "anti-social behaviour" - including miniskirts and revealing tops

Eldritch
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Italian city to ban mini-skirts as part of tough new anti-social behaviour rules

A seaside city in Italy is set to put wearing mini-skirts and other revealing clothing on a blacklist of anti-social behaviours in a bid to help 'restore urban decorum and facilitate better civil co-existence'.

Castellammare di Stabia is trying to be the latest location in Italy to make use of new powers to crack down on a host of actions including street drinking, playing football in public places and blasphemy. Even sunbathing is on the list despite the city's coastal location.

'Nothing too revealing' is the new policy Mayor Luigi Bobbio wants to enforce with offenders facing fines of between £20-£450.

According to the BBC, the new directive would effectively outlaw everything from mini-skirts to low-cut jeans when people walk around the city.

Mr Bobbio, from the centre-right People of Freedom party, says he wants to target people who are 'rowdy, unruly or simply badly behaved'.

The proposals could be approved at a council meeting later today

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/25/article-1323525-0BC2681C000005DC-920_468x409.jpg
Sunnyside: The city on Italy's western coast is also moving to outlaw sunbathing

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/25/article-1323525-0BC266F1000005DC-216_233x247.jpg

'I think it's the right decision,' a local parish priest, Don Paulo Cecere, told the Cronache di Napoli newspaper. 'It's also a way of combating the rise in sexual harassment.'

Castellammare di Stabia is latest city to make use of the extra powers handed down by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government to mayors, in the effort to fight crime and confront anti social behaviour.

In other places they have banned sandcastles, kissing in cars, feeding stray cats, wooden clogs and the use of lawn mowers at weekends.

Link. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1323525/Castellammare-di-Stabia-miniskirt-ban-anti-social-behaviour-rules.html)

Article in Italian about the same topic here. (http://www.adrianabolchini.com/?p=2746)

Foxy
10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Southern Italy.............

Peasant
10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
This is not parody? :.... Theres law and order and then theres just being some kind of killjoy ran regime.

What devious sin do wooden clogs cause?

The Lawspeaker
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Result: the tourists will go somewhere else. Up north.
Bye bye economy :thumb001:

Murphy
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Result: the tourists will go somewhere else. Up north.
Bye bye economy :thumb001:

The Vatican has dress codes as well, but tourists are still pouring in. In reality, I know these two cannot be compared though.

But look at it this way.. okay the town will lose the hordes of cheap Brits and Germans who swarm all over in the summer. Now the town has the chance of picking up a better class of tourist. They have the opportunity to appeal to the rich upper-classes rather than the dregs of northern European society.

Foxy
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Where I live we dress miniskirt and shorts without problem. Leggins are very popular in winter.

San Galgano
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
There is nothing bad to give some decency to tourism.
Too many times i have seen hordes of idiots behaving like they were in a bachelor party with cheap dancers and beer in many touristic places in Italy.
I have seen tourists enter churchs with flip flops and screaming like they were at a stadium and women with short jeans or skirts.

A bit of ban without exaggerating will only attract a classier kind of tourists and people who search for relax.

Guapo
10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Where I live we dress miniskirt and shorts without problem. Leggins are very popular in winter.

Pics plz

Eldritch
10-27-2010, 08:24 PM
There is nothing bad to give some decency to tourism.
Too many times i have seen hordes of idiots behaving like they were in a bachelor party with cheap dancers and beer in many touristic places in Italy.
I have seen tourists enter churchs with flip flops and screaming like they were at a stadium and women with short jeans or skirts.

A bit of ban without exaggerating will only attract a classier kind of tourists and people who search for relax.

So the ban is basically because of tourists who don't behave themselves? Does that town get a lot of tourism?

Another question: that article by some Italian journalist I posted a link to seems to mention Muslims. How's that an angle?

Btw yeah I agree. Fun in the sun is fine, but when visiting historical sites etc. people need to stay reasonably sober, dress at least slightly more conservatively and otherwise behave with the respect the occasion requires.

Wyn
10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
The Vatican has dress codes as well, but tourists are still pouring in. In reality, I know these two cannot be compared though.

I was in the Vatican last month and the dress codes were not so strictly enforced. Plenty of girls wearing revealing clothes.

Curtis24
10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
It will be interesting to see the results of this, nonetheless. Kudos to them for having the courage to conduct this social experiment.

San Galgano
10-28-2010, 01:38 AM
So the ban is basically because of tourists who don't behave themselves? Does that town get a lot of tourism?
Basically it is a ban against some behaviours that could be easily avoided.
Example the article speaks about people getting a sun tan in public-example over an historical fountain in an historical place-or cursing or screaming in public, which is a right thing for people and families searching for relax.
The sea places in Italy attract many people in summer and a city with 10000 people can reach even 50000 60000 presences so i think they are right to make some bans.

Another question: that article by some Italian journalist I posted a link to seems to mention Muslims. How's that an angle?

No, i read anything about that.

Btw yeah I agree. Fun in the sun is fine, but when visiting historical sites etc. people need to stay reasonably sober, dress at least slightly more conservatively and otherwise behave with the respect the occasion requires.
Yes i agree with you, i mean, many people when in their cities behave more sober than when they are abroad or out of their town so i think it is also a matter of respect for the locals.

Foxy
10-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Pics plz

http://www.vastooggi.net/1/images/440_0_302828_37181.jpg

Curtis24
10-28-2010, 01:50 AM
The pic is too small...