PDA

View Full Version : General Carl von Döbeln's Speech To The Swedish and Finnish troops in 1809

The Ripper
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
General von Döbeln was a Swedish general during the Napoleonic wars. He took part in the Finnish War of 1808-09, which resulted in the territory of modern Finland being incorporated into the Russian Empire as Grand Duchy 201 years ago.

Here is the original (http://www.narc.fi/1809opetusaineisto/pdf/soda_lopun_haamotaessa3.pdf), in Ye Olde Swedish...

And here is my somewhat clumsy translation:

Speech to Finnish troops, 8th October 1809.

I have gathered the army, to announce, that a preliminary peace agreement has been reached between the Swedish and Russian powers. - These tidings of peace will end all the miseries of a raging war - These should be happy tidings in view of Sweden's exhausted resources, as it ends a conflict, that began as a political mistake, and that has for the second year running required all her strength.

But Finland will be separated from Sweden. - The new state border runs along Torneĺ river. - Finns! With this peace, a third of the lands of the Swedish crowns are lost. - Sweden loses the proud Finnish Nation, its strongest support - and even this is not enough, for the Swedish army loses its core and the most significant element of its military; - The Motherland is crushed, drowned in sorrow and longing for its unrecoverable sacrifices, but the Wise Allmighty has decided our Destiny, we must accept it with patience - with humility.

- Soldiers! Comrades! Brothers! You, who under the war, with so much loyalty and manliness, despite the superior numbers of the enemy armies, with the strength of arms, at Siikajoki, Revolax, Pulkkila, Lappo, Kauhajoki, Alavo Lappfjerd, Etzeri, Nummijärvi, Juthas and Idensalmi and elsewhere defeated your enemies.

- You, who with your own hands re-took half of Finland, - You, who were finally outnumbered and forced to leave the Finnish border, and have since then with bravery fought for the Swedish soil of the Motherland.

- Aye, you who are present! Are precious survivors of the Proud Finnish Nation and their brave warriors, it is to You that I should and shall, with a moved heart, present you with the King's, - the Realm's, - The Swedish folk's, - The Swedish Army's, - my Brothers in arms, - my own, everyone's, sincere Gratitude.

The King's Gracious Well-wishes, - The Realm's empathy, - The admiration of the Swedish folk, - The friendly respect of the Swedish Army, - The sympathy of my Brothers in arms, - My own devotion towards you, is the sacrifice that consecrates you, and that is brought forth by me!

Finns! Brothers! Your deeds are great, and the gratitude we and all others bestow upon you is equally great. -To express this requires all the skill of a great speaker. But I'm a Soldier. - A Soldier! What a proud title! This title I have, from you - for you - and with you! Receive then the earnest thoughts of a moved heart, and you Swedish Troops, who are present at this honourable and sorrowful event; be living witnesses to the Swedish Motherland's sincere gratitude. - Swedes! Be proud to have seen these Finnish Survivors! Remember them! Honour them! See their weary bodies, their pale faces, they carry the hardships of the past years! And you Finns! When you return to your homelands, deliver the message of gratitude of the Swedish Folk to your Nation! Know this, you may return with torn clothes, amputated or bullet-pierced limbs, but also the visible beauty of the Soul of a Warrior.

Enemies to the Swedish Motherland could you never become - of that I am convinced - but remain it's Friends for all time! Should the new Ruler oppose the living out of your hopes and will, then with the silent speech of Heart and Mind, send your blessings to the Motherland! Remind your children of it; teach every family, bless you, honour you.

- One thing I ask of you! When you return to the lands where we defeated our Enemies, and you see the wretched sand mounds that cover our fallen comrades, give them a silent sigh of Blessing, for they died as heroes and their ashes are cared for by the spirits of Honour.

- I know the human hearts' many quirks, its eagerness to hastily choose an object, which it thinks it will never lose, but barely have a few weeks passed, before instability has made another Choice, time changes everything - with it, everything is forgotten; but one thing I can assure you, and you will see it for yourselves, that the bonds formed between soldiers, bound in battle, danger, blood and death, can never be undone; Thus we are and I am convinced of each others love; the Brotherhood of us soldiers will last us our lifetimes, and the gratitude I've expressed for you, and am now expressing to you, has made our bond an insoluble union.

- Finns! Brothers! If only my words could be accompanied by tears of blood from my eyes, they would flow, and each drop would assure you of my devotion, my friendship!
G. v. Döbeln.

General Befälhafvare
öfver Kongl. Norra Arméen;

http://members.tripod.com/minata/dblnr_1.jpg

And above we have the good general himself, wearing the distinctive eye patch. :)

Motörhead Remember Me
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
In retrospect, it was good that Sweden lost Finland. Sweden was not capable of defending Finland and as an autonomous part of Russia, Finland finally developed from being the Swedish backyard to become Russias frontyard and window to the west.

The Ripper
11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Stirring stuff. Bump.