PDA

View Full Version : Fasting

Profileid
02-12-2017, 07:40 AM
It's been becoming more popular over the last few years now that the slowing down metabolism and "starvation mode" myths have been debunked.
More than just for weight loss, it's been successful in helping to treat diabetes and other things.
I am currently on day 1 of what I hope is a 5 day fast. I find after the second day, you don't even want to eat anyways. And your mind is soo clear. I predict I will lose at least 4 pounds,most of it will be glycogen and water, but about a pound of fat as well. Need to start somewhere.
Anyone else tried it?

Most people expect that a period of fasting will leave them feeling tired and drained of energy. However, the vast majority of people experience the exact opposite: they feel energized and revitalized during fasting. Partly this is because the body is still being fueled—it’s just getting energy from burning fat rather than burning food. But it’s also because adrenaline is used to release stored glycogen and to facilitate fat-burning, even if blood sugar is high. The increased adrenaline levels invigorate us and stimulate the metabolism. In fact, studies show that after a four-day fast, resting energy expenditure increased by 12 percent. Rather than slowing the metabolism, fasting revs it up.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2016/10/24/review-the-complete-guide-to-fasting/

Szegedist
02-12-2017, 08:00 AM
I like intermittent fasting (fast for 16 hours a day, and eat for 8), so rather than 3-4 smaller meals, 1-2 bigger, more satisfying meals.

Benefits are similar to what you wrote above (clear headz etc ) but it's sustainable for long term.

Bezprym
02-12-2017, 08:01 AM
So what is being eaten during this "fasting"? If nothing then it's not a good idea.

Oneeye
02-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Fasting for longer periods of time is a good way to lose lean body mass.

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 08:12 AM
So what is being eaten during this "fasting"? If nothing then it's not a good idea.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SfGux48EGJU/V4i9mfLBfwI/AAAAAAAABfc/E1mU70IVCo0-5211bHTgV7Hwr2Ob8lHCwCLcB/s1600/fasting%2Bjokes.jpg

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Nothing. That's the very definition of fasting. It's common, especially during long term fasts to have coffee, tea or brother,which I might do.
I picked up the book reviewed in the OP and it's been an interesting read.Debunked a lot of the myths associated with fasting. It doesn't slow metabolism or burn muscle.
Besides, it makes sense. For the vast majority of human history, food hasn't always been plentiful. It's natural we've evolved to make the best of it.

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 08:20 AM
http://img.picturequotes.com/2/42/41884/in-a-fast-the-body-tears-down-its-defective-parts-and-then-builds-anew-when-eating-is-resumed-quote-1.jpg

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Fasting for longer periods of time is a good way to lose lean body mass.

yeah man. The standard goal of losing one pound a week is nothing on fasting. I dropped like 10 pounds last year doing basically a two week fast.
And the weight stayed off!

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Nothing. That's the very definition of fasting. It's common, especially during long term fasts to have coffee, tea or brother,which I might do.
I picked up the book reviewed in the OP and it's been an interesting read.Debunked a lot of the myths associated with fasting. It doesn't slow metabolism or burn muscle.
Besides, it makes sense. For the vast majority of human history, food hasn't always been plentiful. It's natural we've evolved to make the best of it.

There's no reason to eat nothing. You can drink vegetable juices like celery-apple-carrot or spinach-carrot mix and be fully nourished. Coffee will prevent you from detox and cause you to lose muscle

Bezprym
02-12-2017, 08:30 AM

I'd rather say the problem is not a food, but the type of food.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
There's no reason to eat nothing. You can drink vegetable juices like celery-apple-carrot or spinach-carrot mix and be fully nourished. Coffee will prevent you from detox and cause you to lose muscle

It's about the quickest and most efficient way to lose weight one can do. It's helped me a lot and I've been struggling to lose weight for years.
I haven't ate in about 8 hours and I feel pretty good. Better than I do when I eat. After the second day or so, you don't even feel hungry.

Research finds that fasting “flipped a regenerative switch” leading to new blood and new immune system creation – in just 72 hours

Results from a recent study fall into the category of “remarkable,” as it was described.

Researchers from University of Southern California were looking for extra immune help for chemotherapy patients, and found an answer for everyone. For chemo patients, the elderly, the chronically ill, even those with auto immune diseases.

Longer fasts use up the body’s glucose stores, but they also breakdown and rebuild the white blood cells – literally rebuilding a new immune system.

Prof Valter Longo, Professor of Gerontology and the Biological Sciences at the University of California explains:

It gives the ‘OK’ for stem cells to go ahead and begin proliferating and rebuild the entire system.
And the good news is that the body got rid of the parts of the system that might be damaged or old, the inefficient parts, during the fasting.
Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or ageing, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system.
By having the white blood cells depleted, it triggers stem cell based reproduction of new born immunity.

The Telegraph reports:

In trials humans were asked to regularly fast for between two and four days over a six-month period.
Scientists found that prolonged fasting also reduced the enzyme PKA, which is linked to ageing and a hormone which increases cancer risk and tumour growth.
http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/06/fasting-for-3-days-regenerates-entire.html

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:35 AM
I'd rather say the problem is not a food, but the type of food.

Absolutely.
Advocates of fasting usually are the same ones in favor of a low carb, high fat/protein diet.

Purohit ji
02-12-2017, 08:40 AM
There are better and more enjoyable ways to loose weight. Than fasting.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:44 AM
There are better and more enjoyable ways to loose weight. Than fasting.

I found it enjoyable after the second day.
Mental clarity, feeling of self control and the lack of desire to gorge like I had before.Besides, it's good for more than just losing weight.
http://www.livescience.com/48888-intermittent-fasting-benefits-weight-loss.html

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 08:45 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/ff/8e/48ff8e40cada758a5fdf671114bbc6ec.jpg

Hadouken
02-12-2017, 08:54 AM
I will try intermittent fasting . but not the 16-8h version like szegedist does (even though I would love to) because I tried it for a few days and it gave me insomnia . I will fast 2 days for 24 hours

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:02 AM
I will try intermittent fasting . but not the 16-8h version like szegedist does (even though I would love to) because I tried it for a few days and it gave me insomnia . I will fast 2 days for 24 hours

Szededist does it too? Neat.
I've tried intermittent,but I just end up eating too much after it's over.
For me, cutting it all out for days is the only thing that works.

Hadouken
02-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Szededist does it too? Neat.
I've tried intermittent,but I just end up eating too much after it's over.
For me, cutting it all out for days is the only thing that works.

not sure if that is a good/healthy method though

gültekin
02-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Important thing is what you eat after the break of fasting. you must start with a good soup

Al-Meksiki
02-12-2017, 09:21 AM
I usually do water fasts (consuming nothing but water) for one week or one and a half weeks at a time on a semi regular basis

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:22 AM
not sure if that is a good/healthy method though

I have posted a few links here already. Do some research.
I've always felt good while doing it. Hunger goes away by day three.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Man fasts for 382 days and loses 276 pounds!

A 27-year-old male patient fasted under supervisionfor 382 days and has subsequently maintained hisnormal weight. Blood glucose concentrations around 30 mg/100 ml were recorded consistently during thelast 8 months, although the patient was ambulant andattending as an out-patient. Responses to glucose and tolbutamide tolerance tests remained normal. The hyperglycaemic response to glucagon was reduced andlatterly absent, but promptly returned to normal duringcarbohydrate refeeding. After an initial decrease was corrected, plasma potassium levels remained normal without supplementation. A temporary period ofhypercalcaemia occurred towards the end of the fast.Decreased plasma magnesium concentrations were a consistent feature from the first month onwards. After 100 days of fasting there was a marked and persistent
increase in the excretion of urinary cations and inorganic phosphate, which until then had been minimal.These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive
soft tissue and skeletal mass. Prolonged fasting in this patient had no ill-effects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

Jehan
02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Fasting is the worst way of loosing weight. I have doctors in my relatives and they all said that fasting isn't a solution.
The best way is to change your eating habits and do some sports.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Fasting is the worst way of loosing weight. I have doctors in my relatives and they all said that fasting isn't a solution.
The best way is to change your eating habits and do some sports.

Why are all the new studies saying the opposite?
For decades, the low fat, high carb diet was advocated by all the experts and look what happened with that.

The human body has adapted to go for long periods without eating.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/10/interested-fasting-health-get-facts-first/

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Fasting makes you age slower

You might age slower – the latest research into how and why we age identifies a pathway called mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) as a key controller of the energy production process in the cell. In their 2013 Nature paper, Johnson et al. show that reducing mTOR pathway activation slows ageing. A second pathway which has the opposite effect is through AMPK (AMP-activated protein kinase). AMPK keeps cells healthy through a self-maintenance program, and helps them die when they should die (programmed cell death). mTOR is anabolic (growth) and AMPK is catabolic (breakdown and repair).

We need both anabolic and catabolic states for health. But the problem is the growth (anabolic) phase ages us, and the modern high-carb diet never allows us to get back to the catabolic state. Fasting and LCHF allows you to reach that catabolic state again. Your body has the right signals to preserve and repair cells, and kill off the ones that are past their use-by-date. The high-carb diet drives constant growth signals that result in cell damage without taking stock and repairing the damage. This is ageing.

Johnson, SC, Rabinovitch, PS & Kaeberlein, M (2013). mTOR is a key modulator of ageing and age-related disease. Nature, 493, 338–345.

If you have enough body fat you can fast for a very long time. The world record for a supervised therapeutic fast is 382 days. It was set by a Scotsman in the 1960s. Here’s some interesting extracts from “Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days’ duration”, published as a case report in the obscure Postgraduate Medical Journal (1973) 49, 203-209
“Patient A.B. aged 27 years, weighed on admission 456 lb (207kg). During the 382 days of his fast, vitamin supplements were given daily as’Multivite’, vitamin C and yeast for the first 10 months”
Results: Body weight loss
“During the 382 days of the fast, the patient’s weight decreased from 456 to 180 lb. Five years after undertaking the fast, Mr A.B.’s weight remains around 196 lb. “
In discussing the extremely low blood glucose levels…”Despite the hypoglycaemia the patient remained symptom-free, felt well and walked about normally.”

So there’s your interesting fact for the day! Fasting, despite the fact that a few years back I would have openly ridiculed people who fasted as fringe nutcases, if you haven’t fasted then it’s worth a crack and probably quite good for your brain and body. You’ll at least learn a thing or two about your own physiology while you are self-experimenting.

Hadouken
02-12-2017, 09:47 AM
hide this thread from mary before she really starves herself to death

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:50 AM
hide this thread from mary before she really starves herself to death

I considered making a joke that this made me more hardcore than Mary, but I realize that would probably be in poor taste.

glass
02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
It's been becoming more popular over the last few years now that the slowing down metabolism and "starvation mode" myths have been debunked.
More than just for weight loss, it's been successful in helping to treat diabetes and other things.
I am currently on day 1 of what I hope is a 5 day fast. I find after the second day, you don't even want to eat anyways. And your mind is soo clear. I predict I will lose at least 4 pounds,most of it will be glycogen and water, but about a pound of fat as well. Need to start somewhere.
Anyone else tried it?

Your organism already stored enough "food" for month(s) ahead, so you have illusion you do not want to eat. However once your fasting period is over organism would want to fill "empty" spaces again, because organism already got used to those conditions. There is no recipe to lose weight immediately, it can only be down slowly with enough dedication and selfdiscipline.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Your organism already stored enough "food" for month(s) ahead, so you have illusion you do not want to eat. However once your fasting period is over organism would want to fill "empty" spaces again, because organism already got used to those conditions. There is no recipe to lose weight immediately, it can only be down slowly with enough dedication and selfdiscipline.

I would say it's the opposite actually. We eat in more frequently and in larger amounts than we need to.
People think they are hungry, but it's more a mental thing. They're bored, just want to eat, etc.

War Chef
02-12-2017, 10:34 AM
These people don't really know as much as me about fasting, don't listen to them. I went 96 hours with nothing but water. You get tremendously hungry the 1st day then it tapers off and it's not so unbearable anymore. I have a cousin who claims to have done a 1 ½ week full fast (not intermittent).

The body burns through body-fat first, then once the adipose stores are depleted it quickly breaks down (catabolizes) muscle for energy. But even in the beginning muscle is being broken down at a 2:1 ratio alongside fat (can't find the study but it's there) so you don't just lose fat but also some lean body mass.

Hithaeglir
02-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Why fast when you can just follow a healthy low sugar,low fat diet and exercise,you will lose the weight gradually and not torture yourself?

Desperado
02-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Why fast when you can just follow a healthy low sugar,low fat diet and exercise,you will lose the weight gradually and not torture yourself?

because she doesn't consider it torture and her weight tends to remain stable otherwise

Hithaeglir
02-12-2017, 10:59 AM
because she doesn't consider it torture and her weight tends to remain stable otherwise

It's hard for me to believe that with a diet and exercise she didn't see any change in her weight.

Desperado
02-12-2017, 11:14 AM
It's hard for me to believe that with a diet and exercise she didn't see any change in her weight.

:noidea:

But fasting isn't harmful if done properly.

Jehan
02-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Why are all the new studies saying the opposite?
For decades, the low fat, high carb diet was advocated by all the experts and look what happened with that.

The human body has adapted to go for long periods without eating.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/10/interested-fasting-health-get-facts-first/

I read quickly the link you gave. Everytimes they uses the word "could" "might" "may"... They strangelly never gave the name of this researchers and there background, if they are doctors, scientists or jobless people who try to make a wealth with some revolutionary methods.

The human body can indeed go for long periods without eating. But as glass said, at the moment you start eating again your body will store fat again.

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 12:52 PM
She already said that with "diet and exercise" she can't control the food she's eating, but with fasting she doesn't feel any hunger and have more clarity. As long as she doesn't feel discomfort and she is healthy it wouldn't hurt to fast for two weeks.

wvwvw
02-12-2017, 12:56 PM
I read quickly the link you gave. Everytimes they uses the word "could" "might" "may"... They strangelly never gave the name of this researchers and there background, if they are doctors, scientists or jobless people who try to make a wealth with some revolutionary methods.

The human body can indeed go for long periods without eating. But as glass said, at the moment you start eating again your body will store fat again.

It is scientifically accepted that fasting is beneficial to health. Fasting has been shown to regenerate stem cells and reverse immunosuppression after three days. Fasting activates your body's 'survival' mode, boosting your immune system, it has been shown to even help children with epilepsy.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Fat isn't the problem. Nor is it torture.
Read literally any link I posted in this thread.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 08:57 PM

Exercise is bleh. I preferred taking walks outside,but that's not possible half the year.

This isn't Greece where the weather never dips below 5 C,even in the winter.

ÁGUIA
02-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Fasting has benefits to one's health, when done it correctly.

Szegedist
02-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Try moving your feeding period later in the day, so you don't go to sleep on an empty stomach.

Anyway, to those who say it's unhealthy.

Do you think humans evolved to eat 3+ meals a day? Our ancestors spent most of the day fasted, hunting the food and then eating.

There is more to fasting than just losing weight. The changes in hormones and adrenaline kick in your ancient hunting instinct when fasted.

Pennywise
02-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Convert Islam loose weight Etain.

Profileid
02-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Convert Islam loose weight Etain.

Ramadan fast is entirely different and followed by eating lots of food afterward. I imagine ppl end up gaining weight after the month.

RN97
02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Yup I have, didn't find it particularly effective or ineffective. It's just another way I guess. Losing/ gaining weight is basically 2nd nature to me as I am a bit of a fitnesstard so I've done it like 4 times already (Losing/ gaining 5+ kilos that is).
I'm at my heaviest right now at 84 kilos and intend to lose weight like 2 months before summer.
If I can give you some tips it would be:
-Keep a diary of everything you eat as well as everything you drink that has calories, this def. helped me the most.
-If you absolutely can't eat 100% healthy, cut sugar drinks first, they are the worst(this includes natural fruit juices)
-If you have "cheat days" or something like that it's better to eat certain unhealthy foods like Burgers/ taco/ pizza because they still contain quite a bit of protein rather than chips/ candy because that is essentially just wasted calories.

Getting more on topic I felt like intermediate fasting had it's upsides and downsides. The upsides were that while in the fasting period you couldn't do shit so it's not ideal for me right now as I am a student and most days I have to read and attend classes and if I do it during the night it's hard to sleep. You will feel very unmotivated to work out while fasting. The benefits are off course that it often takes less willpower since it's just a struggle for half of a day, the rest you can actually eat enough to feel full while at my weight if I just went on a regular diet I was basically always hungry and never felt totally full.

Szegedist
02-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Yup I have, didn't find it particularly effective or ineffective. It's just another way I guess. Losing/ gaining weight is basically 2nd nature to me as I am a bit of a fitnesstard so I've done it like 4 times already (Losing/ gaining 5+ kilos that is).
I'm at my heaviest right now at 84 kilos and intend to lose weight like 2 months before summer.
If I can give you some tips it would be:
-Keep a diary of everything you eat as well as everything you drink that has calories, this def. helped me the most.
-If you absolutely can't eat 100% healthy, cut sugar drinks first, they are the worst(this includes natural fruit juices)
-If you have "cheat days" or something like that it's better to eat certain unhealthy foods like Burgers/ taco/ pizza because they still contain quite a bit of protein rather than chips/ candy because that is essentially just wasted calories.

Getting more on topic I felt like intermediate fasting had it's upsides and downsides. The upsides were that while in the fasting period you couldn't do shit so it's not ideal for me right now as I am a student and most days I have to read and attend classes and if I do it during the night it's hard to sleep. You will feel very unmotivated to work out while fasting. The benefits are off course that it often takes less willpower since it's just a struggle for half of a day, the rest you can actually eat enough to feel full while at my weight if I just went on a regular diet I was basically always hungry and never felt totally full.

It takes a while to adapt lifting while fasted, but it's possible and some people (from my experience also) feel stronger while fasted, but slightly less endurance. It can be counteracted by coffee + BCAAs, as advocated by leangains.

Lightshade25
02-12-2017, 11:23 PM
I don't get people who think it's a good idea to not eat. Your body survives on food, how is it supposed to function if you're not giving it anything? What happens to a car if it runs out of fuel? It stops working. The same thing will happen to your body. If anything just eat less than what you already eat and / or exercise more.

Szegedist
02-12-2017, 11:38 PM
I don't get people who think it's a good idea to not eat. Your body survives on food, how is it supposed to function if you're not giving it anything? What happens to a car if it runs out of fuel? It stops working. The same thing will happen to your body. If anything just eat less than what you already eat and / or exercise more.

Muscle glycogen, liver glycogen, fat , muscle and lastly organs. The body has many sources of fuel, you won't die of starvation or even go into "starvation mode " if you don't eat for a day.

Pennywise
02-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Ramadan fast is entirely different and followed by eating lots of food afterward. I imagine ppl end up gaining weight after the month.

Some ppl do actually, yeah. But that's entirely up to you.

Wrong
02-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Got used to intermittent fasting for 18+ hours on average real quick. It's highly beneficial and easy in order to remain fit and lose that extra bodyfat.

Couple it with training sessions during the evenings before feasting window and it's perfect.

It's not unhealthy at all and it also stimulates natural Human Growth Hormone production by 1800%+ which is great for fatloss and overall health.

Mary
02-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Anyone else tried it?

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2016/10/24/review-the-complete-guide-to-fasting/

1) This isn't fasting this is starving yourself. When you fast you still eat certain things depending on what kind of fast you do.

2) Starving yourself is stupid don't do it.

BeerBaron
02-13-2017, 07:38 AM
1) This isn't fasting this is starving yourself. When you fast you still eat certain things depending on what kind of fast you do.

Bah humans can survive for weeks without food, that's why we have a gene that tells our body to hold onto fat.

However if done for too long you start to look like a bloated monkey.

wvwvw
02-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Exercise is bleh. I preferred taking walks outside,but that's not possible half the year.

This isn't Greece where the weather never dips below 5 C,even in the winter.

It dipped to -20 C this year, it can get really cold. Right now it's 6 C in Athens.

Profileid
02-13-2017, 12:51 PM

First off.
lol

Are you really going to tell me going a few days without food, is better than going years eating 800 calories a day? Eating well under your caloric requirements for a long period is more like starvation than what you're talking about.

Also, fasting is by definition, not eating.

Profileid
02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
It dipped to -20 C this year, it can get really cold. Right now it's 6 C in Athens.

sheeeit

Wrong
02-14-2017, 05:10 AM
Anyone else tried it?

Just do the ordinary 16-18hour a day intermittent fasting routine imo.

No need for anything extreme like days without food, it could end up staggering your motivation.

Hadouken
02-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Just do the ordinary 16-18hour a day intermittent fasting routine imo.

No need for anything extreme like days without food, it could end up staggering your motivation.

but does the method where you dont eat for 1-2 days in the week for 24h also work well ?

Philip Latinowitz
02-14-2017, 08:22 AM
It is a very good and healthy thing. Just one tip: don't do any physical labor when fasting because it won't produce results which you expect. Fast when you're free (f.e. during weekends) and can rest, that way it works faster and you won't be exhausted.

Mortimer
02-14-2017, 08:25 AM
I fast only for religious reasons, 2016 I fasted one week. Orthodox Christian fasting means vegan diat+fish is allowed.