PDA

View Full Version : How did YOU mail off your swab sample to FTDNA?

Iloko
02-16-2017, 11:12 PM
What method or service did you use in your country, especially if you live outside the US? I've noticed that many people often have some problems mailing off their sample complaining about how the couriers are not willing to accept biological material and such etc.

Me: I used 'International Express Mail Service (IEMS)' outside the US the first time I ever did FTDNA...They have this little stall at the mall where they check out your parcel, then they do all the paperwork for you...In US dollars it costed around $32 bucks for me...Delivery took around only 7 days, but only because this is considered an "Express Post" service. Tracking-number was also provided.
More recently I've just submitted my 'MyHeritageDNA' swab sample as well. The price for IEMS was jacked up recently to $52. So instead of using IEMS I just used the standard "Parcel Post" service...They mail it as a parcel to the US except the major downside is that there is no tracking-number provided. Delivery was slated for 2 weeks.

The very first method I attempted was FedEx and they required a note from a doctor that the biological material is not harmful etc. So that was difficult.

How did you guys send in your sample?

knowledge is king
02-17-2017, 12:47 AM
Did you send a samples ever from the Philippines while being outside of US?
Had you ever face a problem with local customs?

As for myself I sent a sample via russian post. It cost me a 4.18 US dollars in total.

Iloko
02-17-2017, 01:03 AM
Did you send a samples ever from the Philippines while being outside of US?
Had you ever face a problem with local customs?

As for myself I sent a sample via russian post. It cost me a 4.18 US dollars in total.
Ftdna mailed their kit to me from US to Philippines and it was delivered directly to my home, with no problems. The 'myHeritageDNA' kit I ordered last month was shipped from US to Philippines last month...they didn't do door-to-door delivery this time, I think because it was DHL...so I had to pick it up at the local post office and pay a tiny fee of 112pesos...no extra tax or anything like that and no issues with customs according to the tracking info :)
I've sent my FTDNA sample from Philippines to US via IEMS back in 2013. Tracking info showed no issues at all and was successfuly delivered to the lab. No issues at all with customs and such.
A few days ago I sent in my myHeritageDNA sample via Airmail-ParcelPost. Delivery was slated for 2 weeks. No tracking-# this time, but hopefully it makes it to the lab successfuly. I only payed 168pesos :)
When you sent yours via Russian-post did it come with a tracking-# by any chance?

Kriptc06
02-17-2017, 01:26 AM
FedEx

knowledge is king
02-17-2017, 01:47 PM
When you sent yours via Russian-post did it come with a tracking-# by any chance?

Yes, it did, but a shipment process took 5 weeks in total.

Kazimiera
02-17-2017, 01:58 PM
I used DHL. You have to tell them what is in the parcel. I wrote "personal genome kit". I did the same for 23andme. Nobody here knows what a "personal genome kit" is anyway. I didn't say that it was a biological sample because someone would probably have a look.

OR someone could have taken a spit in my tube. When the results come back I find out I'm 100% SSA. :lol:

Vascontelo
02-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Fedex. Took just one day from Costa Rica to United States. I sent it with the description of "letters and cards" haha