PDA

View Full Version : McDonald’s to cut prices as fast food consumption falls to all-time lows

wvwvw
02-25-2017, 11:32 PM
McDonald’s to cut prices as fast food consumption falls to all-time lows
Saturday, February 25, 2017
by Vicki Batts

http://www.naturalnews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/91/2017/02/Hamburger-French-Fries-Soda-e1486395069131.jpg

McDonald’s is feeling the burn as fewer people choose to dine out, and more people choose to cook at home. The novelty of their all-day breakfast appears to have worn off, as sales and growth have begun to dwindle once again. Now, the fast food giant has turned to something new to help reel customers back in: cutting the prices of drinks.

After last year’s focus on burgers and chicken sandwiches, McDonald’s plans to advertise $1 sodas and $2 McCafe specialty drinks in the hopes of regaining their following across the United States. Bloomberg reports,”McDonald’s leads a $228 billion U.S. fast-food industry that faces slackening growth. After increasing 2.4 percent last year, revenue gains will slow to 1.5 percent this year and 1.6 percent in 2018, data from researcher IBISWorld show.”

Restaurant industry takes a hit while Americans dine at home

The gap between restaurant prices and grocery costs is at an all-time high right now, which has been prompting many people to choose to eat at home, rather than going out. McDonald’s is not the only restaurant in the industry being hit hard by this change. Reports indicate that almost a third of US adults say that they are eating out less frequently than they did just three months ago, mostly due to the sheer cost.

Traffic to restaurants has been dismal since 2009, remaining flat or up by just one percent in recent years. A poll by Reuters/Ipsos revealed that 62 percent of respondents said cost was the primary reason for choosing not to go out to eat. And it’s no surprise: estimates suggest that the consumer price index for food away from home was up by 2.4 percent. Conversely, the cost of eating at home has dropped by about 1.9 percent. And apparently, people are noticing the disparity.

Reports also indicate that people in their 20s and 30s are more likely to dine at “fast-casual” restaurants such as Chipotle or Panera Bread. Julie Jargon, of The Wall Street Journal, wrote, “Increasingly, younger diners are seeking out fresher, healthier food and chains that offer customizable menu options for little more than the price of a combo meal.” Millenials have become the biggest threat to chains like McDonald’s; they’re looking for healthier options, and the price difference isn’t all that much.

Even back in 2014, McDonald’s efforts to engage the 20-to-30 age group fell flat.

Healthy eating trend continues to grow

Retail expert Robin Lewis explains that McDonald’s isn’t the only brand to be affected by strong disinterest from younger age groups. Lewis says that young people are tired of the constant marketing and advertisements that are thrown at them by iconic brands — and are more interested in smaller, more simple marketplaces.

To put it simply, McDonald’s is going to have to work very hard to convince young people their food is healthy if they want to recoup their sales. The fast food giant has already advertised removing antibiotics from their chicken, but it doesn’t seem to be convincing enough. The trend of healthy eating has gotten a strong following, especially among young people, and it only continues to gather steam.

A 2015 survey of more than 30,000 people revealed that younger people are becoming more concerned about the ingredients in their food, genetically modified foods, and organics than previous generations. More than 40 percent of the under-20 age group, and 32 percent of people in their 20s and 30s, reported that they would be willing to spend more money on healthier food options. Conversely, just 21 percent of baby boomers would be willing to pay more for higher quality food.

The amount of soda being consumed in the United States has also been on a steady decline for the last few years. In March 2016, Business Insider reported that soda consumption had dropped by 1.2 percent in the preceding year. And in 2014, sales had already dropped by 0.9 percent. In total, American soda consumption dropped by 1.5 billion cases in 2015, when compared to the peak volume of 2004. This is great news, especially given the harmful effects of sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.

While the trend of healthy eating isn’t great for the fast food and beverage industries, it is good for people.

Sources:

Bloomberg.com

CNBC.com

LP0956
02-25-2017, 11:33 PM
That's why I lost a lot of weight

Lightshade25
02-25-2017, 11:39 PM
They're way overpriced for what they offer.

de Burgh II
02-25-2017, 11:41 PM
It would be doing the world a favor.....

would be better to let the corporate gargantuan die off along with other mass-manufactured garbage insidious to one's health.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
02-25-2017, 11:51 PM
what would be nice if they actually made some real food...

Marmie Dearest
02-26-2017, 04:36 AM
McDonald's needs a vegan burger and fries that are actually vegetarian, and they might attract more business.

They tried pulling the whole "ha ha yeah no kale here" angle, like they'd pull in some business from the legions of angry obese, but McDonald's just historically has an overall problem with quality, sustainability and nutrition.I try to never even purchase a drink there, though on rare occasions I've ended up with a coffee or tea because it was cheap and available, I really have a problem with McDonald's as a company.

They're going to have to adapt to Millenial values.

Profileid
02-26-2017, 04:41 AM
This is great news.I love McDonalds and fast food in general.
Snobs can go fuck themselves.

Shah-Jehan
02-26-2017, 04:43 AM
Very rarely eat there, usually just get Fries or Poutine.

Profileid
02-26-2017, 04:52 AM
McDonald's is honestly one of the greatest companies out there.

1. Offers food that is cheap and tasty
2. Basically created the fast food industry because who wants to wait half an hour for a shit meal anyways?
3. Not nearly as bad a place to work as people think. The typical starting salary is 9/hr which was more than I made at my first job and they will hire practically anyone. Also, they have a culture from promoting within and if you show initiative and work hard, you can advance and actually make a good living.

elbrus954
02-26-2017, 04:56 AM

2. Basically created the fast food industry because who wants to wait half an hour for a shit meal anyways?
3. Not nearly as bad a place to work as people think. The typical starting salary is 9/hr which was more than I made at my first job and they will hire practically anyone. Also, they have a culture from promoting within and if you show initiative and work hard, you can advance and actually make a good living.

Work for a subway instead, I just bought a 6 dollar sub (foot long carved turkey but I also get the meatball marina once in a while)

jingorex
02-26-2017, 04:56 AM
Two all beef patties.
Special sauce.
Lettuce, cheese,
Pickles, onion
on a...

Profileid
02-26-2017, 05:00 AM
Work for a subway instead, I just bought a 6 dollar sub (foot long carved turkey but I also get the meatball marina once in a while)

I applied for a subway like two years ago actually and didn't get it.
I've heard ppl come home from work smelling like a sandwich lol

I usually get buffalo chicken.I can't stand turkey.

elbrus954
02-26-2017, 05:01 AM
These are the only burgers I eat, and only once or twice a month. In N Out but its only available in California.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/512b7fa3ecad04e11c000001-480/in-n-out-burger.jpg

Hadouken
02-26-2017, 05:22 AM
This is great news.I love McDonalds and fast food in general.
Snobs can go fuck themselves.

I like fast food too taste wise but it is unhealthy and way too caloric dense . when I was my fattest mcdonalds was one of the reasons . and I didnt even eat it all that regulary and I am someone who also eats a lot of vegetables/fruit/fiber etc. . nowdays I eat it almost never ...maybe all 3-4 months or so but even that is a stretch . I mostly boycott fast food companies because I dont see much sense in spending money to poison myself .

Oneeye
02-26-2017, 05:30 AM
So much for $15 an hour.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
02-26-2017, 05:40 AM

the food is bad. Its extremely unhealthy for you. And Mcdonalds food in particular is extremely bad. Wendys is better food. You can get food relatively fast and its still decent. Good example is boston market. Hell if you wanted fastfood but still didnt care about your health so much even 5 guys burgers is better. You don't wait that long for it neither. Like 8 minutes.

Antimage
02-26-2017, 05:51 AM
I remember eating a hamburger at mcdonalds half year ago. It had literally no taste. I don't understand why so many eat there.

and i actually like fast food... i eat a gyros every now and then.

N1019
02-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Good news all-round.

McDonald's is overpriced rubbish. I'm always surprised how much it costs, especially for an order not covered by a meal deal. However, I suspect it is somewhat cheaper in the US than Australia, where most things are a rip-off.

If you're eating McDonald's or similar food more than once a month, it's probably too much. It looks like that message is sinking in with people, in addition to the fact that most so-called advanced economies of the world aren't doing too well, which means average people have less money to spend on shitty food.

There are things McDonald's and the like can do to improve the nutritional value of their food, but it will eat into their profits.

Hithaeglir
02-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Mc Donalds has shitty food, it's not even worth 1 dollar, better buy a bag of crisps.

Gold-Shekel
02-26-2017, 09:18 AM
What I find funny is that usually people who say "McDonald's is unhealthy" are the same kind of people who eat a sandwich with may at noon and two snickers at 3PM. It's okay to have McD's once in a while.

Profileid
02-26-2017, 12:35 PM
I like fast food too taste wise but it is unhealthy and way too caloric dense . when I was my fattest mcdonalds was one of the reasons . and I didnt even eat it all that regulary and I am someone who also eats a lot of vegetables/fruit/fiber etc. . nowdays I eat it almost never ...maybe all 3-4 months or so but even that is a stretch . I mostly boycott fast food companies because I dont see much sense in spending money to poison myself .

Yeah.
When I first got my own car, I had fast food all the time. We had never ate fast food much before that. I have it maybe once every few months now
I don't think it's as unhealthy as people make it out to be as long as it's not had too much.

the food is bad. Its extremely unhealthy for you. And Mcdonalds food in particular is extremely bad. Wendys is better food. You can get food relatively fast and its still decent. Good example is boston market. Hell if you wanted fastfood but still didnt care about your health so much even 5 guys burgers is better. You don't wait that long for it neither. Like 8 minutes.

I like McDonald's fries, but Wendy's definitely has better burgers.