PDA

View Full Version : Tracht Boom!

Wölfin
10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
(Pun on the french onomatopea "crac boom")

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-129411-panoV9-almq.jpg

A Renaissance in Lederhosen and Dirndls

From Berlin to Cologne, Bavarian Fashion is En Vogue

By Madeleine Hofmann

Blame it on the Oktoberfest beer, community spirit or an increasing German desire for national identity, but Bavarian folk costume is experiencing a sales boom. While traditional manufacturers fear a market flooded by cheap imitations, others are celebrating a cultural evolution.

It's been madness on the streets of Munich in the past few weeks as Bavarians flocked to stores to find the perfect get up for Oktober fest, which opened on Saturday. For a number of stores, the sheer demand has been almost more than they can handle. This year, Oktoberfest is celebrating its 200th anniversary, and revellers are determined to parade across the fields in the finest traditional folk costumes, known as Tracht in German. In other words, its a sea of dirndls and lederhosen, as far as the eye can see.

But it is not only the residents of Munich, where the Oktoberfest is held annually, who are buying the Bavarian finery. What was once the domain of dyed in the wool Bavarians is increasingly catching on with other Germans. Around the time of Oktoberfest, clothing stores throughout Germany offer a selection of lederhosen and dirndls -- and sales have been increasing each year.

Costumes That Foster Community Spirit

Egger is certain that this sort of thing would not be happening without something more behind it. On the one hand, various celebrity sightings have supported the trend. On the other, though, the community spirit that wearing folk costume engenders, should not be underestimated either.

"When one wears folk costumes, one is identifying with a city or a region, or with one's circle of friends," Egger explains. "You show that you're a member of a certain group."

At the same time local designers are trying to outdo one another with extravagant new versions of the folk costume so that there's something for everyone. "What was something special at the beginning of this wave of popularity for folk costume has, in the meantime, become standard," Egger says.

New, smaller labels are also now specializing in the traditional clothing, like Munich-based Kaisergwand. Owner Peter Kaiser has had inquiries from throughout Germany. "Tracht is just booming," he enthuses. "If you're wearing lederhosen or a dirndl then you are always well dressed -- they have become a fashion must-have."

The owner of the store Angermaier in Munich, Axel Munz, is also pleased that the clothing is enjoying more appreciation outside of Bavaria. Munz offered soccer-themed dirndls during the World Cup and he is also about to release lederhosen for the ladies -- in bright red, green, blue or purple. Most important to him though, is that wearing the folk costumes fosters a feeling of togetherness.

This is only about half the article, for more, Click Here (http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,718673,00.html).

:thumb001:

Speaking of which I did go to the mini-Oktoberfest from the German community (that includes people from all over Germany) with some of my close friends (most of which I noticed are all in part or in most German, like me) and had a blast. I wore a dirndl then, and I am also wearing a dirndl tonight for a Halloween party :)

Wölfin
10-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Similar article on the same subject right here (http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/dirndls-suddenly-chic-20100920-15j5e.html).

Svanhild
10-31-2010, 01:01 AM
I wore a Tracht on this year's Oktoberfest. :wink If my memory serves me right, I put a few photos into the regulars section. However, Trachten are uncommon here in Northern Germany. But it's a must to wear some kind of Trachtenmode when visiting Oktoberfest. My model cost 30€.