PDA

View Full Version : Are Greeks dark?

Mortimer
03-10-2017, 11:34 PM
There was a discussion on a german speaking balkans forum, and someone said she never saw a dark greek (a austrian woman). Maybe dark to her is something else but to me those guys are dark here, the guy with beard who holds the flag even looks mideastern

http://hellenicleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/kasidiaris-5701.jpg

they are not as dark as blacks, mullatos or southasians. for some dark starts only at southasia but not to me.

shahenshah
03-10-2017, 11:46 PM
The darkest greek ive seen was olive skinned

nafz
03-10-2017, 11:54 PM
It's all relative. Dark compared to whom? Compared to Swedes and to other Northern Europeans they are dark.

Pigmentation wise they are on par with other southern European nations.

RN97
03-10-2017, 11:54 PM
What nafz said. Dark by European standards (hair and eye color).

Squall Leonhart
03-10-2017, 11:56 PM
The darkest greek ive seen was olive skinned
Yeah the darkest Greek I ever saw was a pasty Olive color. Many shades lighter than your average MENASA

Iloko
03-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Looks as dark as some MENAs.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Not all are Dark,but some are. Greeks always get picked on here, it is not fair to them.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Athenian Shoe store Owner:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6963466-3x2-940x627.jpg

ChooseYourBattles
03-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Mainland Greeks are more or less the same as other South Balkanites pigmentation-wise, islanders and some people in deep south Peloponnese (10-15% of the population) are closer to Sicilians and could be considered somewhat 'dark'.

RN97
03-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Athenian Shoe store Owner:

6963466-3x2-940x627.jpg[/IMG]

If you say they are dark compared to the European core, they're not being picked on, what?
It's just a fact that southern Europeans have a much higher prevalence of darker hair and eyes, as well as the ability to tan and some will have fair olive skin naturally. It's retarded to think that you can post one atypical and it will all somehow make a point. I've seen several folks do this, it needs to stop. If southern Europeans can't agree that they're darker than the European core (just like northern Europeans are lighter than the European core), they're simply in denial and borderline self-haters. The European core looks something like Hungarians. Most with brown hair, around 30% light hair, rest darker hair. Around 50-50 light eyes, dark eyes.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:35 AM
If you say they are dark compared to the European core, they're not being picked on, what?
It's just a fact that southern Europeans have a much higher prevalence of darker hair and eyes, as well as the ability to tan and some will have fair olive skin naturally. It's retarded to think that you can post one atypical and it will all somehow make a point. I've seen several folks do this, it needs to stop. If southern Europeans can't agree that they're darker than the European core (just like northern Europeans are lighter than the European core), they're simply in denial and borderline self-haters. The European core looks something like Hungarians. Most with brown hair, around 30% light hair, rest darker hair. Around 50-50 light eyes, dark eyes.

They are always being discussed because they are the South Most Europeans and people have assumptions ,, doesn't matter if they are true or not. They are always the subject of debate. It is a bit unfair is all I am saying. I do not see debates about the Swiss.

Lightshade25
03-11-2017, 12:39 AM
Mainland Greeks are more or less the same as other South Balkanites pigmentation-wise, islanders and some people in deep south Peloponnese (10-15% of the population) are closer to Sicilians and could be considered somewhat 'dark'.

Rofl lyllo is at it again. I guess you've created even more accounts than Ross on here :laugh:

RN97
03-11-2017, 12:42 AM
They are always being discussed because they are the South Most Europeans and people have assumptions ,, doesn't matter if they are true or not. They are always the subject of debate. It is a bit unfair is all I am saying. I do not see debates about the Swiss.

What debates are you talking about? BTW Sicilians and s. Italians in general are genetically more "south"

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:44 AM
What debates are you talking about? BTW Sicilians and s. Italians in general are genetically more "south"

This thread is a debate there are plenty of thread like this. You may be right I really do not know or care who is genetically more "south".

RN97
03-11-2017, 12:46 AM
This thread is a debate there are plenty of them here. You may be right I really do not know or care who is genetically more "south".

Being genetically most south also correlates with pigmentation. I agree that the thread is pointless and might start a flame-war (certainly did with the Albanians, but they're of a different ilk).
If southern Europeans can't accept that they're darker than the European core than they can't accept reality, that's about it.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Being genetically most south also correlates with pigmentation. I agree that the thread is pointless and might start a flame-war (certainly did with the Albanians, but they're of a different ilk).
If southern Europeans can't accept that they're darker than the European core than they can't accept reality, that's about it.

It would be silly for Southern Europeans to think they are not darker on average just does not match the facts. But that is not the point I was making. My point was that Greeks and some others seemed to always be questioned and you do not see that with others, and that is a bit unfair. This is just opinion I may be wrong who knows.

RN97
03-11-2017, 12:51 AM
It would be silly for Southern Europeans to think they are not darker on average just does not match the facts. But that is not the point I was making. My point was that Greeks and some others seemed to always be questioned and you do not see that with others, and that is a bit unfair. This is just opinion I may be wrong who knows.

Questioned? I still don't get what you mean TBH. What are they questioned about?

Smitty
03-11-2017, 12:55 AM

True, usually by nonwhites who feel better about themselves if they can draw a few unequivocal whites into their camp.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Questioned? I still don't get what you mean TBH. What are they questioned about?

It is an anecdotal thought of mine from the threads I have seen on here for years. Questioned as to their Europeanness. Just my opinion I have been on the forum for years and it always pops up every once in a while.

You have only been a member since 2016,, just stick around for a while you will notice it.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 12:56 AM
True, usually by nonwhites who feel better about themselves if they can draw a few unequivocal whites into their camp.

Yup,

nafz
03-11-2017, 01:02 AM

I think what J Smith is saying is that Greeks and some other South Europeans get trolled often and are questioned about their "Europeanness" .

Some user (often not European himself...) may post a picture of an overtanned Greek or other southerner and would go "wow look at this, he best passes in Asia/Africa..." or something along these lines.

I guess it is all part of the trolling that goes around here.

JohnSmith
03-11-2017, 01:03 AM
I think what J Smith is saying is that Greeks and some other South Europeans get trolled often and are questioned about their "Europeanness" .

Some user (often not European himself...) may post a picture of an overtanned Greek or other southerner and would go "wow look at this, he best passes in Asia/Africa..." or something along these lines.

If you are a member for long enough on here you will notice it.

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Greeks can be dark, but their features are on average moderately more "European" than that of southern Italians and Sicilians, and somewhat less western than Iberians.

Overall I think they are somewhere in between southern Italian and Bulgarian, when both pigmentation and features are accounted for.

Dick
03-11-2017, 01:52 AM
Rofl lyllo is at it again. I guess you've created even more accounts than Ross on here :laugh:

https://i.imgflip.com/1gfqmh.jpg

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 02:11 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/1gfqmh.jpg

Why are you asking me? A new study determined 1-14% Slavic in Peloponnesians, and I assume the rest of the mainland is higher. Now we have numbers to quantify this.

Squall Leonhart
03-11-2017, 02:13 AM
The Athenian shop owner posted looks like what I'd imagine to be in the range of a typical Greek's phenotype. He is far from atypical.

That's stupid. Greeks are responsible for a huge part of what we call Western culture. They are about as white as any other European.

Dick
03-11-2017, 02:14 AM
Why are you asking me? A new study determined 1-14% Slavic in Peloponnesians, and I assume the rest of the mainland is higher. Now we have numbers to quantify this.

You're adorable. I want to pinch your cheeks on your face and butt.

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 02:14 AM
The Athenian shop owner posted looks like what I'd imagine to be in the range of a typical Greek's phenotype. He is far from atypical.

He actually is not far off from many French, Spanish, or even northern Italians. Could probably even fit as British/Irish and German. With that said he is still some kind of Atlantid/AtlantoMed and probably well within Greek range.

Enflamme
03-11-2017, 02:15 AM
No, i don't think...

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 02:16 AM
Also given the amount of IBD sharing between the Peloponnesians and Spain/France (over half with Spain and over one third with France), I guess we can say Greeks are significantly 'western European' now too.

Queen B
03-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Sure we are . I'm often mistaken for Nigerian and Ghanaian.

deisel
03-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Not sure if they're dark but I often mistake Greeks (and other South Europeans) with Armenians, Lebanese, Syrians, and even Iranians.

EL_BARBARO
03-11-2017, 10:09 AM

I'd like seeing you exposed to the sun in southern Europe, but not for just a couple of hours a day on the beach, but during the whole day and working outside. And not for a week in November but for a couple of months in Summer.

Either your skin is capable of creating defenses against that radiation or you'd get burnt to the bone.

He could, I don't know you. But if not, you should be sent straight to the Burn Unit in the Hospital:

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/6acd744b18dd5e46c0b1ce987018bf97?width=650

Autrigón
03-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Mortimer I love you but this thread have no sense...it's in the category of "Hello Mister obvious".
If you mean "dark" as a mediterranean, yes greeks are dark...but like the average mediterranean types from Portugal, Spain, south France, Italy...

Whats next thread?...are Swedish pale? :bored0:

RN97
03-11-2017, 11:19 AM
I'd like seeing you exposed to the sun in southern Europe, but not for just a couple of hours a day on the beach, but during the whole day and working outside. And not for a week in November but for a couple of months in Summer.

Either your skin is capable of creating defenses against that radiation or you'd get burnt to the bone.

He could, I don't know you. But if not, you should be sent straight to the Burn Unit in the Hospital:

]

Yeah I'd be burnt, I'm pale as hell, but many Norwegians tan very well and can get quite dark, but this was more about hair and eye color, not the ability to tan.

RN97
03-11-2017, 11:20 AM

I'm sure that on the same study Swedes would score at least 20%, lol
#SwedesRSlavzz

Grace O'Malley
03-11-2017, 11:24 AM

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/6acd744b18dd5e46c0b1ce987018bf97?width=650

Not everyone can take the sun. My brother got third degree burns from the sun when young and I was so badly blistered on my feet and legs that I couldn't walk for a week. My mother got sun cancer after just very slight exposure to the sun. It's not as straight forward as just being exposed to the sun. Some people just produce less melanin because of their genetics. I've never tanned but just freckled more and exposure to too much sun led to very bad sunburn in a very short space of time. Of course I'm talking about the Australian sunshine though and we are Irish. Not the best combination. My father though was better in the sun.

Ujku
03-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Sure we are . I'm often mistaken for Nigerian and Ghanaian.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-cd5666d48b28023ee8bb5718f4ce6719-c

Not only you , Many Greeks do because this is how the average Greek looks like..

Queen B
03-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Not everyone can take the sun. My brother got third degree burns from the sun when young and I was so badly blistered on my feet and legs that I couldn't walk for a week. My mother got sun cancer after just very slight exposure to the sun. It's not as straight forward as just being exposed to the sun. Some people just produce less melanin because of their genetics. I've never tanned but just freckled more and exposure to too much sun led to very bad sunburn in a very short space of time. Of course I'm talking about the Australian sunshine though and we are Irish. Not the best combination. My father though was better in the sun.
That's absolutely true. My mother - which is blondish/readhead with freckles and blue eyes, tans beautifully while I'm brunnete (with grey/hazel eyes) and I can't. :mad:

Danaan
03-11-2017, 11:59 AM
We are black (at least deep inside) but also a lost (and fallen) tribe of Israel.

Also proud to be Slavs (10% or what).

Hithaeglir
03-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Tbh Kasidiaris isn't exactly "dark",looks more like he suffers from a chronic case of jaundice :rolleyes: The other guy is very brunette indeed but a certain percentage of our population has this pigmentation so it doesn't look that odd to me. The amusing part with these people is that they belong to racial supremacist parties.

ÁGUIA
03-11-2017, 12:07 PM
It's all relative. Dark compared to whom? Compared to Swedes and to other Northern Europeans they are dark.

Pigmentation wise they are on par with other southern European nations.
Precisely

Robocop
03-11-2017, 12:10 PM
No they are not. This is common and ignorant stereotype from people who never been to Greece or saw Greeks.

I was there 2 times, entire Greece (except Macedonia region), and they're pale like vampires, yes, overall they are pale like vampires.

Ofcourse without tan durin summer, btw, I dare anyone here to go to Greece durin a summer and not get a tan.

I was like tanning on Crete while I was waiting for a friend near market-store, in 15 minutes of waiting (he's fuc...ing stupid when enters into store, never gets out).

Danaan
03-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Sometimes a Swede is 'dark' compared to someone from Scotland, for example. I'm talking about the skin color only. I would call 'white' only that greyish pink which is found in UK. In reality white skin doesn't exist as I have said. And the terms light and dark mean something only when there is a comparison.

Pennywise
03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I think so.

http://www.digital-camera.gr/photos/giorgos_tromaras.jpg

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/70165000/jpg/_70165003__69962475_019355291-1-1.jpg

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00456/137940580_456666c.jpg

EL_BARBARO
03-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Yeah I'd be burnt, I'm pale as hell, but many Norwegians tan very well and can get quite dark, but this was more about hair and eye color, not the ability to tan.

For the same reason, but not in a couple of months but in thosands years.

Mortimer
03-11-2017, 01:17 PM
No they are not. This is common and ignorant stereotype from people who never been to Greece or saw Greeks.

I was there 2 times, entire Greece (except Macedonia region), and they're pale like vampires, yes, overall they are pale like vampires.

Ofcourse without tan durin summer, btw, I dare anyone here to go to Greece durin a summer and not get a tan.

I was like tanning on Crete while I was waiting for a friend near market-store, in 15 minutes of waiting (he's fuc...ing stupid when enters into store, never gets out).

Sorry bro but i think you are biased you have a pan euro agenda you even denied that sicilians are dark you actually wanted to leave the forum because of that

RN97
03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Sorry bro but i think you are biased you have a pan euro agenda you even denied that sicilians are dark you actually wanted to leave the forum because of that

Technically no European is dark if you compare them to other populations, Sicilians are only darker if you compare them to the average European. The average gypsy is a lot darker than the average Sicilian it's not even close. The average gypsy is probably slightly darker or similar to the average Pashtun.

Hadouken
03-11-2017, 01:23 PM
depends who you compare them to but I would say no most are not dark

Robocop
03-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Lol, I never wanted to leave forum because of Sicilians, cannot remember that honestly, maybe I said somethin like; "I cannot tolerate propaganda about Sicilians here", somethin like that.

I am not biased, my pan euro unity is not agenda but reality.

You mix any of European phenotypes (man and woman) and you will always get white child in 100% of cases, you mix any of euro phenotypes with some non-european phenotypes like arabid, berberid, saharid, turanid etc..., and you will get non-white child in 90% of cases, because traits of those non-euro phenotypes always prevail in such child.

I don't see how Greeks could be labeled as "dark"? Well ofcourse "they're dark" if you compare them to Norge or Germans, what did you expected?

But overall Greeks are not dark, not even a close to that label, they're overall very pale-skin ppl, not olive skin, vast majority of them, I'm not sayin that olive skin is somethin non-euro, nope, it depends of phenotype, but I'm sayin that vast majority of greeks doesn't have olive skin but pale skin.

This are Greek people, I don't know in what universe this people could be labeled as "dark" (except if YOU have agenda, not me), this are white people with overall predominant pale skin:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/F6MME2/athena-greece-november-17th-2015-greece-athens-up-to-16000-people-F6MME2.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/w7lo4k.jpg

This are DARK people (Azerbaijan ppl), compare it to Greeks and you can demand that someone close this thread:

http://english.khamenei.ir/d/2016/02/17/4/1691.jpg?ts=1457440325000

CASE CLOSED.

Mortimer
03-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Lol, I never wanted to leave the forum because of Sicilians, cannot remember that honestly, maybe I said somethin like; "I cannot tolerate propaganda about Sicilians here", somethin like that.

I am not biased, my pan euro unity is not agenda but reality.

You mix any of European phenotypes (man and woman) and you will always get white child in 100% of cases, you mix any of euro phenotypes with some non-european phenotypes like arabid, berberid, saharid, turanid etc..., and you will get non-white child in 90% of cases, because traits of those non-euro phenotypes always prevail in such child.

I don't see how Greeks could be labeled as "dark"? Well ofcourse "they're dark" if you compare them to Norge or Germans, what did you expected?

But overall Greeks are not dark, not even a close to that label, they're overall very pale-skin ppl, not olive skin, vast majority of them, I'm not sayin that olive skin is somethin non-euro, nope, it depends of phenotype, but I'm sayin that vast majority of greeks doesn't have olive skin but pale skin.

This are Greek people, I don't know in what universe this people could be labeled as "dark" (except if YOU have agenda, not me), this are white people with overall predominant pale skin:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/F6MME2/athena-greece-november-17th-2015-greece-athens-up-to-16000-people-F6MME2.jpghttp://i66.tinypic.com/w7lo4k.jpg

This are DARK people (Azerbaijan ppl), compare it to Greeks and you can demand that someone close this thread:

http://english.khamenei.ir/d/2016/02/17/4/1691.jpg?ts=1457440325000

CASE CLOSED.

the greeks are very close actually to the azerbaijan people if you put now a group of germans they would be closer to the azerbaijan then to the germans, i see lots of black haired people only their skin tone is slightly paler and im sure there are lots of olive skinned greeks too. the thread doesnt need to be closed, you are butthurt and wanted to leave the forum and cried because of sicilians.

Mortimer
03-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Technically no European is dark if you compare them to other populations, Sicilians are only darker if you compare them to the average European. The average gypsy is a lot darker than the average Sicilian it's not even close. The average gypsy is probably slightly darker or similar to the average Pashtun.

i never denied that gypsies are dark. but not all are dark, there are gypsies who are light. the core of gypsies as we know them since centuries and since their first appearance in europe are of course very dark.

RN97
03-11-2017, 03:06 PM
the greeks are very close actually to the azerbaijan people if you put now a group of germans they would be closer to the azerbaijan then to the germans, i see lots of black haired people only their skin tone is slightly paler and im sure there are lots of olive skinned greeks too. the thread doesnt need to be closed, you are butthurt and wanted to leave the forum and cried because of sicilians.

Bro you live in Austria, what can I tell you? Austrians are quite dark compared to Norwegians, if you put together a group of Norwegians, one of Austrians and one of Greeks. The Austrians will only slightly veer towards the Norwegians. Europeans vary, Austrians are def. not so light compared to northern Europeans. How can you say that dark hair is uncommon when at least around 35% of Austrians are dark haired...? South of Austria (Including Hungary) dark haired people are the majority.

Robocop
03-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Lol, don't know what is with you Mortimer lately, but... nevermind, whatever. Cheers :)

Freeroostah
03-11-2017, 03:48 PM
I think there is a bias regarding Greek swarthiness
We are not as dark as people think...

Ilma
03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
What is that contest again with this BS who is darker / lighter or who is whiter...

Greeks are European natives, caucasoid race, they are not "darker" than any southern European. I have to repeat myself again that "darker" features are cause of melanin level you have. You will find in same family lighter individuals and darker ones from same background, all over Europe. This is nothing relevant in term if level of darkness compared to extra europeans.

Greek are still close to others southern europeans and they are not MENA nor SSA influenced, just darker than NW euro people for example.

Darker features are also progressive trait due to impact of sun on skin. Having ability to tolerate the sun and tan is adaptative for the next generations.

averagedude
03-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Bro you live in Austria, what can I tell you? Austrians are quite dark compared to Norwegians, if you put together a group of Norwegians, one of Austrians and one of Greeks. The Austrians will only slightly veer towards the Norwegians. Europeans vary, Austrians are def. not so light compared to northern Europeans. How can you say that dark hair is uncommon when at least around 35% of Austrians are dark haired...? South of Austria (Including Hungary) dark haired people are the majority.

Agreed.

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Those Greek photos above, they do not look anything like the Azeris nor any West Asians, but they are noticeably darker and more Mediterranean than any Northern Europeans could be.

Balmung
03-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Tallest southern europeans in my opinion. Atleast from the ones i've met.

caviezel
03-11-2017, 05:43 PM
how many greeks have light eyes if anyone knows?

deisel
03-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Greeks are closer to Slavs and middle easterners than they are to Germans or Dutch. Mortimer is not incorrect. I would say the same applies to every southeastern European.

Queen B
03-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Define light.

Ylla
03-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Lol, don't know what is with you Mortimer lately, but... nevermind, whatever. Cheers :)

^^^^ This!!!

Whats up Mortimer ???

deisel
03-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Here in Murica, we have tons of Iranians,Lebanese, Armenians, Ay-rabs, and others living our neighborhoods. They look no different from Greeks and other southern Europeans to me.

RN97
03-11-2017, 05:46 PM
IDK how reliable it is though
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2131-Hair-and-eye-colour-genetic-study-(Ireland-Greece-and-Poland)-2013

If I am reading the results correctly, table 1, then Ireland came out with 77% light eyes (blue, green and intermediate) and Poland a bit less at 69% and Greece 24%.

Hair colour is different though with the percentage of Irish samples with dark brown or black hair being 50% which is the same as Greece. Poland is lighter haired than the other two which comes as no surprise.

There are different shades of red hair classification (auburn red/brown, blond red and red) and I believe Ireland was 11.50% to Poland's 8.69% and Greece at 2.5%.

Insuperable
03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
You mix any of European phenotypes (man and woman) and you will always get white child in 100% of cases, you mix any of euro phenotypes with some non-european phenotypes like arabid, berberid, saharid, turanid etc..., and you will get non-white child in 90% of cases.

You mean you get white LOOKING child in 10% of cases because it is definitely not white even if it has pink eyes and white hair?

Queen B
03-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Now Ross came to this thread as well. :picard1:

crazyladybutterfly
03-11-2017, 05:51 PM
as untanned they arent much dark than the rest of euros, but compared to other euros they can get extremely dark within few days of sun exposure.. the same applies to all other south euro populations

deisel
03-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Greeks are European and Caucasoid, I agree

But they still look like southern Europeans who would get mistaken as Armenian or Leb here.

Hadouken
03-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Greeks are European and Caucasoid, I agree

there is nothing to agree or disagree in this because it is how it is and both things are fact

Newsboy
03-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Define light.

Maybe green, blue, or gray?

deisel
03-11-2017, 06:10 PM
there is nothing to agree or disagree in this because it is how it is and both things are fact

I also mistake them for Armenians, Iranians, Lebs, Azerbaijianis, etc too....it's a fact and how it is.

Queen B
03-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Maybe green, blue, or gray?
I ask because f.e. my eyes are grey/gree/brown (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?202926-Whats-your-eye-colour&p=4281722&viewfull=1#post4281722) (like a grey hazel), but they are probably categorized as dark.
If we are talking about light, like blue,green,gray , I'd say 1 out of 4, or rougly 25%. The percantage of light in Greece are certainly higher than the percentage of light hair. if you include hazel the rate is higher.

As the question goes (no matter how stupid is), it depends what exactly the OP is asking:
1) Are Greeks dark - compared to Scandinavians? Sure they are - no question here.
2) Are Greeks dark , generally? No . They are mainly Med , with some lighter and some darker than average. And no , they aren't NorthAfrican''dark'' or Gypsu''dark''. They are SouthernEuro''dark''.

Hadouken
03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I also mistake them for Armenians, Iranians, Lebs, Azerbaijianis, etc too....it's a fact and how it is.

greeks in general look different from all of those people in a group . the individual overlap is due to the fact that west asians have high med component and also some other things that greeks have too . if we go by that logic I can show you 10000 greeks who look (pseudo) russian or something too ....which is objective to begin with because what looks like a certain ethnicity to person A doesnt necessarily look the same to person B etc.

Squall Leonhart
03-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Greeks can overlap with those groups but overall look vastly different.

Milo
03-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Swedes are the darkest europeans. Most of them have brown skin.

Newsboy
03-11-2017, 06:40 PM
I ask because f.e. my eyes are grey/gree/brown (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?202926-Whats-your-eye-colour&p=4281722&viewfull=1#post4281722) (like a grey hazel), but they are probably categorized as dark.
If we are talking about light, like blue,green,gray , I'd say 1 out of 4, or rougly 25%. The percantage of light in Greece are certainly higher than the percentage of light hair. if you include hazel the rate is higher.

As the question goes (no matter how stupid is), it depends what exactly the OP is asking:
1) Are Greeks dark - compared to Scandinavians? Sure they are - no question here.
2) Are Greeks dark , generally? No . They are mainly Med , with some lighter and some darker than average. And no , they aren't NorthAfrican''dark'' or Gypsu''dark''. They are SouthernEuro''dark''.

Your eyes don't look dark. Maybe mixed (between light and dark). Far lighter than the natural eye color of East Asians or most Middle Easterners and North Africans.

Around 25% of Greeks have blue, green, or gray eyes? That's good to know. I consider hazel eyes as mixed (between light and dark). Light hair may not be as common as light eyes, but it's probably more common than the natural jet black hair of East Asians or most Middle Easterners and North Africans.

nightrider+
03-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Skin-wise they should be darker if anything. If I burn easily under the sun, it means I'm not that well adapted for this environment.

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Skin-wise they should be darker if anything. If I burn easily under the sun, it means I'm not that well adapted for this environment.

Well, the original Greek-speakers did migrate from the north...

caviezel
03-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Define light.blue, gray or green.

caviezel
03-11-2017, 07:07 PM
greeks are either pale or light brown. when exposed to suntanning those light brown can turn to medium brown giving off an ethnic vibe. and that's why you shouldn't get a tan in summer, because anthronerds will call you off white and question your whiteness.

Tooting Carmen
03-11-2017, 08:59 PM
In hair and eyes, overwhelmingly so. In skintone, they have more naturally olive people than do Northern/Central Europeans, but not much if at all more so than other Southern Europeans. Still, as with all European countries, fair skin (when untanned) is the majority.

catgeorge
03-11-2017, 09:21 PM
We are africans - confirmed. Greeks are positioned anthropologically exactly where it should be looking at geography - on european continent but but also neighbouring africa, arabia and asia. greece is not hidden away in the top left hand side of the planet. you need wisdom and balls to thrive here..

http://previews.123rf.com/images/ververidis/ververidis1310/ververidis131000074/22905914-THESSALONIKI-GREECE-SEPT-22-People-perform-yoga-training-during-the-Day-without-Car-outdoor-activiti-Stock-Photo.jpg

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 09:27 PM
I don't think Greeks based on these photos look any darker than Tuscans to be honest.

Profileid
03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Kasidiaris is one fine swarthy beast
:love0033:

Shah-Jehan
03-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Kasidiaris is one fine swarthy beast
:love0033:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Ilias_Kasidiaris_b_Mar_2016_(cropped).jpg/220px-Ilias_Kasidiaris_b_Mar_2016_(cropped).jpg

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 09:31 PM
^ He looks Puerto Rican.

MagnusAurelius
03-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Some can pass for MiddleEastern/North African like around 8 people out of 100 faces in view here look MiddleEastern/NorthAfrican.

http://www.vosizneias.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/highres_00000403202551.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kycic2Q.jpg If you look at what the majority of Southern Europeans and Middle Eastern people look like, you can easily tell them apart, the only one who can pass for Persian between Greece and Italy here is the Italian on the far top right, he looks just like the Persian guy beside him.

Sikeliot
03-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Some can pass for MiddleEastern/North African like around 8 people out of 100 faces in view here look MiddleEastern/NorthAfrican

This is the impression I get at the local Greek festival too. Roughly half of them could be taken for ordinary Italian Americans, the other half look either more Balkan or generally "European" and one person here or there might look somewhat West Asian but not many. Almost no one looks North African.

Mortimer
03-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Some can pass for MiddleEastern/North African like around 8 people out of 100 faces in view here look MiddleEastern/NorthAfrican.

http://www.vosizneias.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/highres_00000403202551.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kycic2Q.jpg If you look at what the majority of Southern Europeans and Middle Eastern people look like, you can easily tell them apart, the only one who can pass for Persian between Greece and Italy here is the Italian on the far top right, he looks just like the Persian guy beside him.

agree, thanks. thread closed.