PDA

View Full Version : Population of Italians and Greeks throughout the centuries of known history

poiuytrewq0987
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm rather curious how large both groups were from the rise of Classical Greece and the Roman Republic to the fall of the Byzantine Empire. Have the Italians always been more numerous than the Greeks or were they similar until the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Barbarian migrations to Italy fueling population growth.

San Galgano
11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm rather curious how large both groups were from the rise of Classical Greece and the Roman Republic to the fall of the Byzantine Empire. Have the Italians always been more numerous than the Greeks or were they similar until the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Barbarian migrations to Italy fueling population growth.

The barbarian migration in Italy was the moment where italians reached their lower number i think.
The Gothic wars against Byzantium reduced Italy to something like 1 million people only from the previous 4/6 millions i think.
Then there have been other german migrations especially in north and central Italy and Greeks in the south.
I dunno the situation in Greece though.