PDA

View Full Version : Does chance exist?

Magnolia
03-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Three days ago I told one TA's neo-nazi member about a neo-nazi I knew from internet in the past
Yesterday that neo-nazi I knew in the past wrote me an email

This made me think again of the existence of chance
So what do you think - does chance exist??

Dema
03-20-2017, 03:18 PM
I belive that chance exists. Just as options and choices exist.

Pennywise
03-20-2017, 03:56 PM
No. Probably he's been stalking on you here and when he saw you mentioned him, he decided to contact with you.

The Illyrian Warrior
03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
No. Probably he's been stalking on you here and when he saw you mentioned him, he decided to contact with you.

Just what I instantly though at.

Magnolia
03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
don't try frightening me Manzikert :)
i am a little bit paranoid
the truth is it is weird that he wrote me I didn't speak to him for quite a long time

Pennywise
03-20-2017, 08:02 PM
don't try frightening me Manzikert :)
i am a little bit paranoid
the truth is it is weird that he wrote me I didn't speak to him for quite a long time

I'm not trying to frightening you. That seems to be only logical explanation that first comes to mind. But I don't know, if you say he is not a kind of guy who does such things, okay then.

Svipdag
03-21-2017, 01:37 AM
As an old Einsteinian determinist, I would say that every event has a cause or causes and that there is not and probably cannot be such a thing as a causeless event. HOWEVER, in so saying, I fly in the face of quantum physics which asserts that randomness (or "chance") is at the heart of all apparent causality.In fact, so dogmatically is it asserted by quantum physicists, that it must be regarded as an article of faith to them

CONTRA NEGANTEM PRINCIPIA NON EST DISPUTANDUM

(Anonymous)

Charles Bronson
03-21-2017, 01:57 AM
As an old Einsteinian determinist, I would say that every event has a cause or causes and that there is not and probably cannot be such a thing as a causeless event. HOWEVER, in so saying, I fly in the face of quantum physics which asserts that randomness (or "chance") is at the heart of all apparent causality.In fact, so dogmatically is it asserted by quantum physicists, that it must be regarded as an article of faith to them

(Anonymous)

I see you're still alive, nice digger.

ÁGUIA
03-21-2017, 02:13 AM
Some call it coincidence, others will say that is the law of attraction that your mind is so powerful and works like a radar, that any thought of yous will get repercussions. Others call it whatever. I don't know.
I had a similar experience some months ago. I dreamed with a college teacher that I had years a ago. I didn't seen her for around 5 years at least.
So that day I was walking by the street and then I saw this woman, at first glance it seem to be her. I thought to my self no way. I look again closely, and infact it was false alarm. So I continue my stroll. I was making a corner looking into the floor, all of the sudden I felt someone aproaching, I heard the steps, I look up and mindblowing there she was. What were the odds of finding her after all this years, when she doesn't even live or work in my city. Precisely in the day I had dreamed about her.
Crazy stuff do happen ...

Grab the Gauge
03-21-2017, 02:21 AM
Predeterminism is very, very fucking real and anyone who has ever been caught masturbating knows this.

Neon Knight
03-21-2017, 08:44 AM

(Anonymous)I don't understand the quantum randomness thing myself, but good scientists are not always good philosophers.

There is this idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Sarmatian
03-21-2017, 08:57 AM
But I don't know, if you say he is not a kind of guy who does such things, okay then.

How many times we heard girls saying 'he isn't the type, he is harmless' and then got kidnapped/raped/stabbed/etc? Those naïve fairies, you can't fix them.

UkrainianGirl
03-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Things happen by chance when they are beyond our 5 senses.

If we can't touch it we can't control what happens to it (like we can't touch clouds to make them move or look like something or whatever), if we can't see something we control if something happens somewhere (like a tree falling down somewhere), if we can't hear something we can't do nothing (like a person crying for help somewhere), etc.

Tchek
03-21-2017, 03:30 PM
that's synchronicity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity)