PDA

View Full Version : Shazou's MyHeritage DNA results

Iloko
04-14-2017, 02:32 PM
The 4.5% Euro % is noticeably higher than what I score on 23andme(1.9%). Melanesian does show up which seems to suggest its algorithm is designed to detect ancient admixtures. Though my South Asian isn't detected at all. Philippine-Austronesian component fell under their "Chinese" category due to a lack of Asian reference populations and genetic similarity, though I've read that they are increasing their reference panel to up to 200 reference populations in the upcoming few months or less. I wonder what type of Euro my 4.5% might actually be, is it just Spanish being misread as French and Sardinian I wonder? Any help from anyone more knowledgeable on the Euro part is much appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/sPFKGon.jpg

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
04-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Congrats your're asian 1/4 being south east asian.

knowledge is king
04-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Congrats with your results!

Petalpusher
04-14-2017, 02:47 PM
The 4.5% Euro % is noticeably higher than what I score on 23andme(1.9%). Melanesian does show up which seems to suggest its algorithm is designed to detect ancient admixtures. Though my South Asian isn't detected at all. Philippine-Austronesian component fell under their "Chinese" category due to a lack of Asian reference populations and genetic similarity, though I'v read that they are increasing their reference panel to up to 200 reference populations in the upcoming few months or less. I wonder what type of Euro my 4.5% might actually be, is it just Spanish being misread as French and Sardinian I wonder? Any help from anyone more knowledgeable on the Euro part is much appreciated.

That's likely what the admixture is seeing. French + Sardinian average as Spanish average, even 50/50 in K15. It could mean your Iberian ancestry is rather from northern Spain as the Sardinian is lower, but it's maybe reading too much into it. The fact it already detects something European is pretty good.

knowledge is king
04-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Viewing it more closely, I can state 23andMe was essentially more accurate at admixture analysis.

This calculator says, you are Chinese basically.

I presume the main market for My heritage DNA is Europe and US, for this reason they don't have many asian profiles.

Iloko
04-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Viewing it more closely, I can state 23andMe was essentially more accurate at admixture analysis.

This calculator says, you are Chinese basically.

I presume the main market for My heritage DNA is Europe and US, for this reason they don't have many asian profiles.
I think it's due to a lack of Asian reference populations. On 23andme their filipino samples are grouped under the SE-Asian category so we come out mostly SE-Asian on there. On MH they only have one SE-Asian category which is 'Thai & Cambodian', so my Austronesian component when into the next genetically closest category which is "Chinese", whatever their Chinese samples are comprised of. They may have Dai samples under their Chinese category I might imagine. And according to this PCA the Igorots of Northern Philippines who are the purest Austronesians are genetically very close to the Chinese Dai but are a less-evolved type:

http://i.imgur.com/8Uv8uFM.jpg

As you can see in this PCA Igorots are the purest filipinos, but then filipinos have some South Asian and Papuan/Australoid admixtures which pull them towards Eastern Indonesia.

...MH currently only has 36 reference populations but they are increasing that to 100-200 soon I've read, which is much more advanced than the current 23andme!

Iloko
04-14-2017, 03:14 PM
That's likely what the admixture is seeing. French + Sardinian average as Spanish average, even 50/50 in K15. It could mean your Iberian ancestry is rather from northern Spain as the Sardinian is lower, but it's maybe reading too much into it. The fact it already detects something European is pretty good.
Do you have any sample K15 that looks like that, I would love to see the Oracle for that person.

Basque country is in Northern Spain btw right? Could 'Basque' be a possibility I wonder?

I've read that apart from Andalusians there were also a lot of Basque settlers in the Philippines. I read the majority of the Spanish in the Philippines were Andalusians though, though I'm not too sure how trustworthy that source online was.

..4.5% is about what I got on puntDNAL K15 which precisely was 4.44% I believe.

Dr. Robotnik the Subbotnik
04-14-2017, 03:18 PM
It's strange, I transferred my dna to this company but I never get this kind of thing, even after done processing :/

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
04-14-2017, 03:20 PM
It's strange, I transferred my dna to this company but I never get this kind of thing, even after done processing :/
You dont get ethnicity report from transfers. Only relative dna matches. He did a kit. It says it on their website.

04-14-2017, 03:21 PM
You dont get ethnicity report from transfers. Only relative dna matches. He did a kit. It says it on their website.

Ah. Thank you for clearing that up.

Iloko
04-14-2017, 03:23 PM
They currently don't offer free ethnicity reports for data uploaders, though you can get DNA relative matches I believe. Maybe in the future they may offer a free basic report, but currently their ethnicity estimate feature is reserved for customers who buy their official DNA kit.

To me this company is better than 23andme for ethnicity reports since they are increasing their reference panel to 100-200 in a matter of a very short time in the future. 23andme only offers 31 reference populations. :)

04-14-2017, 03:25 PM
They currently don't offer free ethnicity reports for data uploaders, though you can get DNA relative matches I believe. Maybe in the future they may offer a free basic report, but currently their ethnicity estimate feature is reserved for customers who buy their official DNA kit.

To me this company is better than 23andme for ethnicity reports since they are increasing their reference panel to 100-200 in a matter of a very short time in the future. 23andme only offers 31 reference populations. :)

Ah, and isn't it true that 23andme once held the title of best DNA testing company?

If this all works out I might have to order a myheritagedna kit.

Iloko
04-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Ah, and isn't it true that 23andme once held the title of best DNA testing company?

If this all works out I might have to order a myheritagedna kit.
23andme hasn't updated their ancestry composition in like forever. They are slackers and never meet deadlines. 23andme must now move over for the new player in the genetic genealogy game: MyHeritage. :lol: Just imagine 200 reference populations though..that is ginormous; I doubt 23andme will ever ever have that amount any time soon.

Order your MH kit as soon as you can! :thumb001:

04-14-2017, 03:35 PM
23andme hasn't updated their ancestry composition in like forever. They are slackers and never meet deadlines. 23andme must now move over for the new player in the genetic genealogy game: MyHeritage. :lol: Just imagine 200 reference populations though..that is ginormous; I doubt 23andme will ever ever have that amount any time soon.

Order your MH kit as soon as you can! :thumb001:

I've got the dough, and this might be just the perfect thing to spend it on lol.

So to be clear, they will be updating it soon?

Iloko
04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
I've got the dough, and this might be just the perfect thing to spend it on lol.

So to be clear, they will be updating it soon?
According to the news they published online back in Nov-2016 they claimed the update will be a matter of "a very short amount of time", or "a few months". To be honest I'm not sure if that meant 3 months or 6 months or 9 months, but I have a feeling it will be sometime soon. "200 reference populations within the next few months" sounds very enticing to me though, so I was motivated to immediately buying their kit.

Petalpusher
04-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Do you have any sample K15 that looks like that, I would love to see the Oracle for that person.

Basque country is in Northern Spain btw right? Could 'Basque' be a possibility I wonder?

I've read that apart from Andalusians there were also a lot of Basque settlers in the Philippines. I read the majority of the Spanish in the Philippines were Andalusians though, though I'm not too sure how trustworthy that source online was.

..4.5% is about what I got on puntDNAL K15 which precisely was 4.44% I believe.

I think Enflammé has that kind of fit often, he s just above Catalans and actually has Sardinian ancestry. Catalan theorically work better than Basque, but depends on many things on their admixture test.

https://s23.postimg.org/d8qsz2sjv/K15_V51z2.jpg

He could fit simply as 3/4 French+German (which is what all companies always define as "west-central") + 1/4 Sardinian.

Pretty much like your 3.4% + 1.1% Sardinian, which translate in your whole European being 75.5% west central + 24.5% Sardinian in their test, that would be a very northern Catalan. Again assuming that the proportions Myheritage give you, are decimal perfect, so that's just some prospective here with the numbers.

Iloko
04-14-2017, 04:26 PM
I think Enflammé has that kind of fit often, he s just above Catalans and actually has Sardinian ancestry. Catalan theorically work better than Basque, but depends on many things on their admixture test.

He could fit simply as 3/4 French+German (which is what all companies always define as "west-central") + 1/4 Sardinian.

Pretty much like your 3.4% + 1.1% Sardinian, which translate in your whole European being 75.5% west central + 24.5% Sardinian in their test, that would be a very northern Catalan. Again assuming that the proportions Myheritage give you, are decimal perfect, so that's just some prospective here with the numbers.
Wow very insightful, thank you! I will look over all of this info.

I read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_people_of_Spanish_ancestry that Catalans were also a minority Spanish population in the Philippines along with the Basques..while Andalusians represented the majority. If I ever visit Spain someday I will go to Northern Spain lol.

Iloko
04-21-2017, 12:31 PM

What might you think a full ANDALUSIAN and a GALICIAN respectively at the opposite corners of Spain's map might score on MyHeritageDNA's test in comparison to my percentages/results if you were to guess that is? I'm really curious about this lol.

http://i.imgur.com/S2q4gX0.jpg

if mine is proportionately 75.5% west central + 24.5% Sardinian in comparison...

Selurong
04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
What happened to the Native American you scored in 23andme? Did it disssapear in MyHeritage DNA?

Iloko
04-21-2017, 12:43 PM
What happened to the Native American you scored in 23andme? Did it disssapear in MyHeritage DNA?
Minor Native American shows up for me on FTDNA & Gedmatch! But maybe it's just too small to be detected on certain occasions. MyHeritage results are currently in BETA stage though so it might change in a future update when they are no longer in BETA, who knows. MH does seem to detect Euro admixture in Filipinos more effectively and in higher amounts than 23andme's test IMO. Or maybe I don't really have any native american ancestry at all and it is just simply a fluke & correlated with my ancient Siberian admixture found throughout East Asia which I score on many Gedmatch calcs. Or the program is having a hard time separating Amerindian genetics from East Asian genetics which is somewhat similar, who knows. 23andme only gave me 0.1% NA btw :lol:

FTDNA does have me @ <2% Amerindian though ;P ...
http://i.imgur.com/RuYVve7.jpg

Selurong
04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Minor Native American shows up for me on FTDNA & Gedmatch! But maybe it's just too small to be detected on certain occasions. MyHeritage results are currently in BETA stage though so it might change in a future update when they are no longer in BETA, who knows. MH does seem to detect Euro admixture in Filipinos more effectively and in higher amounts than 23andme's test IMO. Or maybe I don't really have any native american ancestry at all and it is just simply a fluke & correlated with my ancient Siberian admixture found throughout East Asia which I score on many Gedmatch calcs. Or the program is having a hard time separating Amerindian genetics from East Asian genetics which is somewhat similar, who knows. 23andme only gave me 0.1% NA btw :lol:

FTDNA does have me @ <2% Amerindian though ;P ...
http://i.imgur.com/RuYVve7.jpg

I wonder if that Native American component of yours is real, since according to my research, there were tons more Mexicans and Peruvians who came to the Philippines during colonial times than actual Spaniards...

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?207445-Initial-Latin-American-military-settlements-in-the-Philippines

Iloko
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
I wonder if that Native American component of yours is real, since according to my research, there were tons more Mexicans and Peruvians who came to the Philippines during colonial times than actual Spaniards...

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?207445-Initial-Latin-American-military-settlements-in-the-Philippines
On 23andme 99% of the pinoy results I've seen actually score zero Native American most of the time; though it might just be becuase the calculator isn't good enough at detecting it I might assume, not really sure though.

Roughly what % of them were Latino vs Spaniard immigrants based on your research?

Selurong
04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
On 23andme 99% of the pinoy results I've seen actually score zero Native American most of the time; though it might just be becuase the calculator isn't good enough at detecting it I might assume, not really sure though.

Roughly what % of them were Latino vs Spaniard immigrants based on your research?

Well, according to Fedor Jagor, of the 7500 Soldiers newly arrived in the Philippines, during 1818, about 5000 were from Latin America.

Source: http://www.authorama.com/former-philippines-b-8.html

Petalpusher
04-21-2017, 03:47 PM
What might you think a full ANDALUSIAN and a GALICIAN respectively at the opposite corners of Spain's map might score on MyHeritageDNA's test in comparison to my percentages/results if you were to guess that is? I'm really curious about this lol.

http://i.imgur.com/S2q4gX0.jpg

if mine is proportionately 75.5% west central + 24.5% Sardinian in comparison...

Probably close to 50/50 + a bit of N.African if you were to model them like this instead of just fully Iberian. I don't know what kind of reference myHeritage has for African/MENA.

Iloko
04-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Well, according to Fedor Jagor, of the 7500 Soldiers newly arrived in the Philippines, during 1818, about 5000 were from Latin America.

Source: http://www.authorama.com/former-philippines-b-8.html
That's like the majority then huh!

but did they already mix with the Native Americans by the time they immigrated onto the Philippines?

Though what you're saying is very consistent with my 23andme dna-relative-cousin matches there....97% of the non-Asian matches I have there are actually Latinos from Mexico/Peru/Cuba/PuertoRica(around 20 or so myself + my parents) I believe..though I tend to match them only on Euro segments; and only 2-3 from Spain, 1 from Italy on my mother's side; Lol and also one Hungarian one..not too sure where that might have come from though and how.

Selurong
04-22-2017, 10:38 AM
That's like the majority then huh!

but did they already mix with the Native Americans by the time they immigrated onto the Philippines?

Though what you're saying is very consistent with my 23andme dna-relative-cousin matches there....97% of the non-Asian matches I have there are actually Latinos from Mexico/Peru/Cuba/PuertoRica(around 20 or so myself + my parents) I believe..though I tend to match them only on Euro segments; and only 2-3 from Spain, 1 from Italy on my mother's side; Lol and also one Hungarian one..not too sure where that might have come from though and how.

Yes, they were already mixed with Native-Americans by the time they arrived in the Philippines. In fact, the colonial government kept complaining that they send Mestizos and Amerindians over instead of pure Spaniards.

Apparently, even the Spanish officials were mad that the government kept sending Mestizos, Mullatoes and even Native Americans to the Philippines...

Almost very little pure Spaniards from Spain.

*Letter from Fajardo to Felipe III From Manila, August 15 1620.(From the Spanish Archives of the Indies)*("The infantry does not amount to two hundred men, in three companies. If these men were that number, and Spaniards, it would not be so bad; but, although I have not seen them, because they have not yet arrived here, I am told that they are, as at other times, for the most part*boys, mestizos, and mulattoes, with some Indians (Native Americans).There is no little cause for regret in the great sums that reënforcements of such men waste for, and cost, your Majesty. I cannot see what betterment there will be until your Majesty shall provide it, since I do not think, that more can be done in Nueva Spaña, although the viceroy must be endeavoring to do so, as he is ordered.")

Iloko
04-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Yes, they were already mixed with Native-Americans by the time they arrived in the Philippines. In fact, the colonial government kept complaining that they send Mestizos and Amerindians over instead of pure Spaniards.

Apparently, even the Spanish officials were mad that the government kept sending Mestizos, Mullatoes and even Native Americans to the Philippines...

Almost very little pure Spaniards from Spain.

*Letter from Fajardo to Felipe III From Manila, August 15 1620.(From the Spanish Archives of the Indies)*("The infantry does not amount to two hundred men, in three companies. If these men were that number, and Spaniards, it would not be so bad; but, although I have not seen them, because they have not yet arrived here, I am told that they are, as at other times, for the most part*boys, mestizos, and mulattoes, with some Indians (Native Americans).There is no little cause for regret in the great sums that reënforcements of such men waste for, and cost, your Majesty. I cannot see what betterment there will be until your Majesty shall provide it, since I do not think, that more can be done in Nueva Spaña, although the viceroy must be endeavoring to do so, as he is ordered.")
Oh that's interesting!

According to Petalpusher my Spaniard DNA might very well be from Catalonia region of Spain. And on FTDNA I get 'North & Central' Native American instead of South Native American. So perhaps I can rule out the Peruvian since that's South I would assume and claim my Latin American ancestry as some type of Mexican.

You have Latin American ancestry too right? Was it Mexican, or was it Peruvian? etc..

Iloko
04-24-2017, 10:01 AM
I found an Aragon gedmatch kit-# but no Catalan, I'm assuming the oracle proportions would be similar to each other though

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 Mediterranean 42.76
2 NE_European 42.49
3 Caucasian 7.59
4 SW_Asian 4.1
5 Horn_Of_Africa 0.84
6 Omo_River 0.77
7 S_African 0.56
8 Siberian 0.53
9 W_African 0.19
10 Wht_Nile_River 0.17
11 Beringian 0.01

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 Spaniard 2.78
2 Portuguese 5.91
3 Basque 9.43
4 Italian 9.83
5 French 10.04
6 Montenegrin 10.89
7 Romanian 10.91
8 Bulgarian 11.3
9 Macedonian 12.47
10 South_German 13.43
11 Brazilian 13.78
12 Utahn_White 14.03
13 Serbian 14.41
14 Bosnian 15.43
15 Albanian 15.46
16 Tuscan 16.87
17 English 17.2
18 Greek_Thessaly 17.75
19 Orcadian 18.1
20 Irish 18.11

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 59% North_German + 41% Sardinian @ 1.28
2 62.7% English + 37.3% Sardinian @ 1.29
3 61.5% Orcadian + 38.5% Sardinian @ 1.35
4 60.6% Scottish + 39.4% Sardinian @ 1.48
5 55.3% Swedish + 44.7% Sardinian @ 1.56
6 67.4% Utahn_White + 32.6% Sardinian @ 1.58
7 58.3% Norwegian + 41.7% Sardinian @ 1.66
8 61.5% Irish + 38.5% Sardinian @ 1.69
9 68.4% South_German + 31.6% Sardinian @ 1.78
10 51.8% Polish + 48.2% Sardinian @ 1.86
11 62.4% Basque + 37.6% Bosnian @ 1.93
12 74.5% French + 25.5% Sardinian @ 1.93
13 85.2% Spaniard + 14.8% French @ 2.2
14 89.7% Spaniard + 10.3% Utahn_White @ 2.29
15 92.2% Spaniard + 7.8% Scottish @ 2.29
16 57.3% Basque + 42.7% Macedonian @ 2.29
17 91.6% Spaniard + 8.4% English @ 2.31
18 89.5% Spaniard + 10.5% South_German @ 2.31
19 92.3% Spaniard + 7.7% Irish @ 2.34
20 93.1% Spaniard + 6.9% North_German @ 2.35

Selurong
04-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Oh that's interesting!

According to Petalpusher my Spaniard DNA might very well be from Catalonia region of Spain. And on FTDNA I get 'North & Central' Native American instead of South Native American. So perhaps I can rule out the Peruvian since that's South I would assume and claim my Latin American ancestry as some type of Mexican.

You have Latin American ancestry too right? What is Mexican, or was it Peruvian? etc..

It's Mexican, and it's only anecdotal, I haven't done a genetic test yet. It's my former classmate who is Peruvian descended.

Iloko
04-25-2017, 10:10 AM
It's Mexican, and it's only anecdotal, I haven't done a genetic test yet. It's my former classmate who is Peruvian descended.
What would your predictions be for the % of Euro & Amerindian you would score?

My initial predictions before ever taking any kind of DNA test like 23andme was actually 3-6% Euro-Iberian for certain reasons. Well 23andme gave me lower than that @ 1.9% whilst MyHeritage and Gedmatch gave me 4.5% which is actually more within that range. :)

Selurong
04-25-2017, 02:23 PM
What would your predictions be for the % of Euro & Amerindian you would score?

My initial predictions before ever taking any kind of DNA test like 23andme was actually 3-6% Euro-Iberian for certain reasons. Well 23andme gave me lower than that @ 1.9% whilst MyHeritage and Gedmatch gave me 4.5% which is actually more within that range. :)

I honestly don't know. I guess I'll probably score the Filipino average of 5% Southern European and 2% Native American. But I'm not sure.

Iloko
04-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanx all for the valuable insights & replies!

Thread closed.