PDA

View Full Version : Greek orthodox churches in Haiti

blan
11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
just found out about these churches in Haiti, there was a greek community in Haiti that started in the early 20th century and ended around the 1950s-1960s. there still is a small foreign greek community in Haiti but none are permanent residents from what i have seen but a couple of churches have remained, i have passed by one of these churches a couple of times and never knew it was greek orthodox.
i myself have wanted to explore orthodox christian faith

Unknown Status of Greek Churches in Haiti

Posted on 14 January 2010 by Anastasios Papapostolou Tags: Church

Haitian_churchThere are two Greek Orthodox parishes in Haiti under the Metropolis of Mexico. The first is the parish of St. John the Baptist in Pétionville, a district in the capital of Port-au-Prince. The second is the newly established parish of St. Mathias. Due to the severed communications, the Metropolis of Mexico has not been able to establish contact with the parishes until now.

The condition of the two Greek churches of Hati is still unknown. There are strong fears that they may have been damaged, as were most of the buildings from the biblical earthquake.

Archbishop Demetrios immediately issued an encyclical calling upon the faithful of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America to pray for the safety, health and well being of all the people of Haiti and in particular the Greek Orthodox faithful there.

In his encyclical to the parishes of the Archdiocese, the Archbishop also calls for all parishes “to conduct a special collection on Sunday, January 17 as a response of compassion to the needs of the people of Haiti.”