PDA

View Full Version : Fraudsters scammed Holocaust victims' fund

Megrez
11-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Fraudsters scammed Holocaust victims' fund

Published: 10 Nov 10 09:07 CET

US authorities unveiled charges late on Tuesday against 17 people in a long-running scheme that fraudulently obtained some $42 million in Holocaust compensation funds from Germany.

Federal prosecutors said the scheme between 2000 and 2009 resulted in the approval of some 5,500 fraudulent payments from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, which administered the programmes.

An indictment unsealed in New York said a network of individuals – including six employees who worked for the Claims Conference – systematically defrauded the fund, which was set up to compensate victims of Nazi persecution.

The insiders allegedly approved over 5,500 fraudulent applications, resulting in payouts to applicants who did not qualify for the programmes. In exchange, these insiders kept a portion of the money for themselves and their co-conspirators.

"If ever there was a cause that you would hope and expect would be immune from base greed and criminal fraud, it would be the Claims Conference, which every day assists thousands of poor and elderly victims of Nazi persecution," said US Attorney Preet Bharara in announcing the indictment.

"Sadly, those victim funds were themselves victimized."

FBI assistant director Janice Fedarcyk said: "Each of the defendants played a role in creating, filing and processing fraudulent claims on behalf of non-qualifying applicants – and dividing up the spoils. Funds established and financed by the German government to aid Holocaust survivors were siphoned off by the greedy, and not paid out, as intended, to the worthy. This was a brazen miscarriage of the compensation programmes."

Officials said the Claims Conference, a not-for-profit organization that administers the programme, approved fraudulent claims from the "Hardship Fund," which provides a one-time payment of $3,600 to victims of Nazi persecution who became refugees; and from the Article 2 Fund, which makes monthly payments to Nazi victims who live on less than $16,000 per year.

Both programmes are funded by the German government.

The defendants recruited other individuals to provide identification documents, such as passports and birth certificates, which were then fraudulently altered and submitted to "corrupt insiders," investigators said.

But some of those who made claims were born after World War II, and at least one person was not even Jewish.

Eleven people were arrested Tuesday on the charges. Charges against five other people, four of whom have pleaded guilty, were unsealed in the same indictment.

The accused face up to 20 years in prison if convicted on charges of conspiracy, fraud and related charges.

AFP/dw

Source (http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101110-31071.html)

The Lawspeaker
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Too bad that German taxmoney was lost.

Magister Eckhart
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I have to admit when I first saw the title of the article I thought it was going to be about Israel; after that recent debacle with the Mossad agent pretending to be a holocaust survivor to carry out assassinations in Germany, nothing would surprise me. I really feel an intense sympathy for the whole Jewish diaspora for the way they've been exploited by the international Israel lobby.

I do think though that this is inevitable when one sets up a "compensation fund" of any sort. After all, we all know with what the road to hell is paved.

Svanhild
11-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Our tax money is wasted for a lot of crap by our political class so that the few million bucks more don't even matter anymore. Earlier this year, we had to save the Greek economy and the Euro currency area with more than 200 billion €. Billion, not million. What are 42 mio. $ compared to that?

It's frustrating that my country as one of the strongest economical powers of the world is enslaved by the winning powers, international organisations and rather odd minority groups in terms of money but I don't lose hope that our day of real freedom will come. It's an international basic rule that we Germans have to buy sympathy and friendship with money. The day we stop paying is the day we start to be evil Nazis again by common conception. Truth be told, I couldn't care less but our government is mobbed-up.

The Ripper
11-11-2010, 04:30 AM
I really feel an intense sympathy for the whole Jewish diaspora for the way they've been exploited by the international Israel lobby.

So, who do you think comprises this "international Israel lobby"? :mmmm:

Magister Eckhart
11-11-2010, 05:52 AM
So, who do you think comprises this "international Israel lobby"? :mmmm:

Well for the most part "international" only denotes the fact that it exists internationally; I hope I didn't give the impression of some kind of conspiracy. Throughout Western Europe and elsewhere there are people, Gentile and Jew, who support the existence of the state of Israel and will use all sorts of means, some legitimate, most not, to force Europeans and Americans to pay for its survival. It's probably the strongest in the United States, where ironically it's not our Jewish community as much as it is the Christian Right who contribute to support of the Israeli state. I cannot speak for who constitutes it elsewhere.

A good, if somewhat polemical, book on the topic is:

http://notesfromamedinah.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/the-israel-lobby-book.png (http://www.amazon.com/Israel-Lobby-U-S-Foreign-Policy/dp/0374177724)

The neo-cons and the Israel lobby itself often group the text somewhere between Mein Kampf and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which I usually take to mean that Profs. Mearsheimer and Walt really hit somewhere close to home on the issue.

Curtis24
11-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Can we have some pics of the fraudsters?

Debaser11
11-11-2010, 06:23 AM
A scam on top of a scam.