PDA

View Full Version : Ancestral DNA tests

Vulpix
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm very interested in having an ancestry by DNA test done one day. Have you used one? If so:

- What results did you get, and what were your reactions?
- Can you recommend any DNA testing services?

Psychonaut
11-15-2008, 02:27 AM
I had my DNA tested by Family Tree DNA. I was very pleased with the price and expediency of the testing. My results came in as R1a1 for the Y-DNA and H4 for the MtDNA.

lei.talk
11-22-2008, 09:27 AM
...R1a1 for the Y-DNA and H4 for the MtDNA.

Psychonaut
11-24-2008, 08:11 AM
what does this mean

A value of R1a1 for the paternal line generally indicates either Eastern European, Scandinavian or Central Asian ancestry. Of all the y-DNA haplogroups, R1a1 is most strongly associated with the expansion of the Proto-Indo-European peoples. Also, the bodies from the famous Corded Ware site that were tested all came back as being R1a1. I'm not sure yet why my paternal line is R1a1 though. My paternal ancestry traces to the Canary Islands and the surname shifts between French and Spanish variants several times. However, R1a1 is not found in either Spain or France, so right now it's looking like my paternal ancestor was either one of the Normans who colonized the Canary Islands with Jean de Béthencourt's crew in 1402, or was one of the handful of Slavic mercenaries hired during the Reconquista.

The maternal haplogroup H represents the original Upper-Paleolithic peoples of Europe, particularly the Gravettians. It is the most common mt-DNA haplogroup in all of Europe.

Lenny
11-27-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure yet why my paternal line is R1a1 though. My paternal ancestry traces to the Canary Islands and the surname shifts between French and Spanish variants several times. However, R1a1 is not found in either Spain or FranceWhat do you mean "not found" in those countries? Surely it must be a little bit? ...Do you have a list of its occurrence in different countries?

But, speaking of overall racial-stock, learning one's Y-origin and M-origin is almost useless trivia, is it not? Extreme example: What if one had 2 European great-grandparents and 6 Africans? If the Europeans were the father's father's father and mother's mother's mother, one's results would come back with totally European markers, but one is definitely nothing close to European in overall ancestral-stock.

Is there any of these testing methods to look at overall stock? Is that even really possible?

Johnny Bravo
11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
What do you mean "not found" in those countries? Surely it must be a little bit? ...Do you have a list of its occurrence in different countries?

But, speaking of overall racial-stock, learning one's Y-origin and M-origin is almost useless trivia, is it not? Extreme example: What if one had 2 European great-grandparents and 6 Africans? If the Europeans were the father's father's father and mother's mother's mother, one's results would come back with totally European markers, but one is definitely nothing close to European in overall ancestral-stock.

This is correct.

Is there any of these testing methods to look at overall stock? Is that even really possible?

Studies like these:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2020#post2020

Psychonaut
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
What do you mean "not found" in those countries? Surely it must be a little bit? ...Do you have a list of its occurrence in different countries?

According to several studies cited in this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_by_ethnic_groups) Wiki article, the quotient of people in France that are R1a1 is 0% and in Spain is 2%. Anyone bearing this haplogroup in either of those two countries has a paternal ancestor that originated from elsewhere, either Scandinavia, Eastern Europe or (if the alleles show it) the Eurasian steppe.