PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter Recall

Lady L
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm sure all of us Americans have heard of the latest peanut butter recall, the peanut butter originated at a Georgia peanut plant containing salmonella ....it has caused several deaths and tons of sick people...

So far, at least 300 cases of illnesses have been linked to the outbreak, although one attorney who had already filed a class action lawsuit claims to have been contacted by more than 2,000 alleged victims.

Read more here (http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html)

But my question was what does this really mean..? Does it mean we can't trust any food now..? Does it mean now our health lies in hands that are dirty..? I mean, some people could really freak out over this...it makes me wary about eating. Why are these recalls continuing to happen and get worse..? What needs to happen ..?

:coffee:

Mrs. Psychonaut
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
It worried me at first a couple of years ago when it first started with the spinach scare. We were living near Salinas, CA which is where the bad spinach originated from. Then all of a sudden there were constant recalls on all kinds of food. I'm thinking that it's more likely that this has always been a problem as much as it is now- but they're getting better at detecting it. Also the media must see that it makes nice headlines. It is worrisome though, especially when you have smaller children. Maybe one day we will all have a way to conveniently test food products in our homes for contaminates before we consume them. Wouldn't that be nice?

Baron Samedi
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
All I want to know is, does this affect Wal-Mart brand peanut butter?

Because if so, I'm totally scared to open my new jar....

*cries*

Lady L
02-06-2009, 01:20 PM
All I want to know is, does this affect Wal-Mart brand peanut butter?

Because if so, I'm totally scared to open my new jar....

*cries*

Far as I know your jar of peanut butter from Wal-Mart should be fine....I think it was mostly in peanut butter paste products, cookies, cakes, ice cream etc ...jars of peanut butter were suppose to be alright.

Treffie
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Food scares always make me think about what we're eating and how much we put our trust in food manufacturers. A couple of years ago we had an e-Coli outbreak. They discovered that the source of the infection came from a butcher who was supplying local schools in the area. Unfortunately, this little fella died.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41373000/jpg/_41373278_mason_jones_203.jpg