PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Romani as "Southasian" broadly or their own thing?

Mortimer
05-07-2017, 03:27 AM
I will add a poll seperate options for southasian users and seperate options for european users and for others who are neither european nor southasian. Im curious.

Źıün
05-07-2017, 03:28 AM
Own thing. Not South Asian.

Mortimer
05-07-2017, 03:30 AM
Own thing. Not South Asian.

I suspect that most southasian users will vote like that but many others will vote they are.

Smitty
05-07-2017, 03:30 AM
In the South Asian group, yes.

Alessio
05-07-2017, 03:31 AM
They are a slowly but surely dissapearing race who are on the brink of being extinct. What are they? A mix between European ancestry and that of people who migrated from South Asia through the Byzantine empire on to several different regions in Europe.

Mortimer
05-07-2017, 03:33 AM
They are a slowly but surely dissapearing race who are on the brink of being extinct. What are they? A mix between European ancestry and that of people who migrated from South Asia through the Byzantine empire on to several different regions in Europe.

They are not fully southasian but they have substantiantial soutshasian ancestry plus they likely originated in southasia. when we look at a people we consider ulitmately their origins, their language is also from india.

Alessio
05-07-2017, 03:34 AM
They are not fully southasian but they have substantiantial soutshasian ancestry plus they likely originated in southasia. when we look at a people we consider ulitmately their origins, their language is also from india.

Katar san tu?

Mortimer
05-07-2017, 03:37 AM
Katar san tu?

i dont speak the romanes language but many roma do. and efforts were made to establish dictionaries and such. now there are romanes dictionaries, and maybe i will learn it.

Alessio
05-07-2017, 03:41 AM
i dont speak the romanes language but many roma do. and efforts were made to establish dictionaries and such. now there are romanes dictionaries, and maybe i will learn it.

In the meantime you'll be a 'dilo' Romani speaking in the tongue of the gadjé I'd say :p

Vyasa
05-07-2017, 03:44 AM
honestly i don't but if a Roma considers himself/herself South Asian, i don't have any problem

Mortimer
05-07-2017, 03:46 AM
honestly i don't but if a Roma considers himself/herself South Asian, i don't have any problem

i know roma who do and roma who hate being associated with india, i didnt know that before, but i discovered on facebook some roma who claim they are from middle east/israel. so there are roma who take pride in indian origins and roma who say thats fake and roma are from middle east/israel (but they acknowledge roma lived long in india and took up indian genetics but they think their ultimate first origins are in israel)

Shah-Jehan
05-07-2017, 03:46 AM
i agree with vyasa.

TenaciousTopologist
05-07-2017, 05:19 AM

+1