PDA

View Full Version : Why kids today are out of shape, disrespectful – and in charge

Kazimiera
05-16-2017, 11:38 PM
Why kids today are out of shape, disrespectful – and in charge

Source: http://www.kansas.com/news/nation-world/national/article56473378.html

http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com/news/nation-world/national/h2g8s9/picture56473368/alternates/FREE_960/LIFE_SELF-MISBEHAVING-KID_TB
A misbehaving child. Dr. Leonard Sax, in his fourth book, sounds an alarm bell of sorts. It is titled, “The Collapse of Parenting.”

NEW YORK

Dr. Leonard Sax has been a family physician and psychologist for 27 years, conducting workshops around the world for parents, teachers, social workers, counselors, school psychologists and juvenile justice professionals.

He’s also a dad, and it’s from all those perspectives that he took on his fourth book, an alarm bell of sorts titled, “The Collapse of Parenting,” out recently from Basic Books.

Sax, who lives in Exton, Pennsylvania, argues that American families are facing a crisis of authority, where the kids are in charge, out of shape emotionally and physically, and suffering because of it. He calls for a reordering of family life in response.

A conversation with Dr. Leonard Sax:

–––

The Associated Press: What exactly do you mean by a collapse of parenting?

Sax: I wrote about an office visit with a 10-year-old boy who is sitting and playing a game on his mobile phone, ignoring me and his mom as I’m talking with his mom about his stomachache. And his mom is describing his stomachache and the boy says, ‘Shut up, mom, you don’t know what you’re talking about.’ And he laughs.

That would have been very unusual in 1990 or 2000. It is now common: children, girls and boys, being disrespectful to parents, being disrespectful to one another, being disrespectful to themselves, verbally and otherwise. The mother did nothing, just looked a little embarrassed. The culture has changed in a profound way in a short period of time in ways that have really harmed kids.

AP: What is the book really about?

Sax: The transfer of authority from parents to kids. I think you should treat kids like grown-ups. I think you should expect them to be mature and to behave, and I think that’s what it means to treat someone like a grown-up, among other things, although the phrase to treat someone like a grown-up is ambiguous.

It’s not about the abdication of authority.

For example, it’s common now in this country to find parents who are chauffeuring their 8-year-old or 12-year-old around to various schools, among families that are choosing a school, and the parent functions as educational consultant. The parent makes a recommendation, but the child makes the final decision. I know of cases where the kid was clearly making the wrong decision and the parents knew it but nevertheless felt completely powerless to overrule their child. The child is the one who suffers.

AP: What are some other examples?

Sax: The same is true with regard to a cellphone in the bedroom. You now find kids at 10, 12, 14, 16 years of age who have their phone in their bedroom at two (o’clock) in the morning. You take the device at night and you put it in the charger, which stays in the parents’ bedroom. No child should have a phone in their bedroom unsupervised.

That’s not just my opinion. That is the official teaching of the American Academy of Pediatrics in guidelines published (in) October 2013. But you would be astonished, or maybe you wouldn’t be, how many parents find that an impossible recommendation. They feel that they have no authority over their child in many domains.

AP: You refer to the value of family dinner.

Sax: Research shows having a family meal at home without distractions is important. Every day. Not doing that indicates that time spent at home with parents is the least important priority. It doesn’t matter. It can be overlooked and forgotten.

By communicating that time at home as a family is our highest priority, you are sending the message that family matters. So many kids are in the race to nowhere, trying to add things on to their resume through extracurricular activities with no sense of why. They just burn out at 15 years of age.

AP: What about time spent in the car?

Sax: No earbuds in the car. You commonly have this and kids are not engaging with their parents. Everybody’s in a rush. That time in the car is precious. The time in the car is for you to listen to your child and your child to listen to you.

My 9-year-old daughter and I know the lyrics to almost every song from “Mary Poppins.”

AP: What types of things can parents do to help a child or teen become a fulfilled adult?

Sax: The first thing is to teach humility, which is now the most un-American of virtues. When I meet with kids I ask them what they think it is and they literally have no idea. I’ve done that from third grade through 12th grade. The high school kids are more clueless than the third-graders.

They have been indoctrinated in their own awesomeness with no understanding of how this culture of bloated self-esteem leads to resentment. I see it. I see the girl who was told how amazing she was who is now resentful at age 25 because she’s working in a cubicle for a low wage and she’s written two novels and she can’t get an agent.

The second thing is to enjoy the time with your child. Don’t multitask. Get outdoors with your child.

The last thing: Teach the meaning of life. It cannot be just about getting a good job. It’s not just about achievement. It’s about who you are as a human being. You must have an answer.

ÁGUIA
05-16-2017, 11:55 PM
tl;dr sorry Kaz ;)

Parents spoil way too much their offspring these days. Let them do everything, over protect them and give them a lot they don't deserve nor need. Creating an insatiable sense of entitlement in kids, an army of brats. Where they feel everything comes easy, and we all know that is not how life works, if you want something you need to put your work into it. Parents are failing by not giving the proper tools to their children in order to prepare them to their future as adults.

Kazimiera
05-17-2017, 12:12 AM
tl;dr sorry Kaz ;)

Parents spoil way too much their offspring these days. Let them do everything, over protect them and give them a lot they don't deserve nor need. Creating an insatiable sense of entitlement in kids, an army of brats. Where they feel everything comes easy, and we all know that is not how life works, if you want something you need to put your work into it. Parents are failing by not giving the proper tools to their children in order to prepare them to their future as adults.

You basically summarised what was written above.

MissMischief
05-17-2017, 12:16 AM
Do you want to know how to fix the little bastards' issues? You smack the hell out of them and yell loudly at them. Don't take shit from your kids.

Ok, it may sound a bit harsh - I'm not suggesting that a child should be "beaten" but spankings are not abuse, right? A kid needs to learn early on what is and isn't acceptable behaviour and a healthy respect and even fear of consequences for bad behaviour is necessary to keep children from acting like brats.

Me and my sister listened to mum and dad, we never swore at them, and even shut up was forbidden, because it was like the law or something.
I also didn't have a cell phone until I was 15, and it was the most basic of basic. It called and texted. And texts were rigorously limited and costed extra.
When we were in public, we sat calmly, if we begged in the grocery store that was a guarantee we didn't get it, and temper tantrums were grounds for leaving immediately. TV and computer were limited it one hour a day until we reached high school. I rarely see that type of parenting anymore.

Carlito's Way
05-17-2017, 12:22 AM
that is based on white people who are too scared to beat their children with a belt
people of color still give their children some real ass beating and we are never in charge of anything around the house
i think the problem is white people, and I know this cause I grew up around white people, my white friends would disrespect their parents, cuss in front of them, act like spoiled brats who thought they were above their parents
while I remember my Filipino friend getting slapped across the room by his mom for saying the world bitch(he wasnt referring to her as bitch, we was just talking about some bitch as nigga we hated)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/57/51/fb5751e87e0a5f0f09ce9a90bc9c7512.jpg

Also
05-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Spanking your child only teachs them to fear physical punishment, they won't grow into respectable adults because of it, perhaps despite this. All studies I've seen about spanking kids shows overwhelmingly negative effects, for example

In the Journal of Family Psychology, Dr. Elizabeth Gershoff of The University of Texas at Austin brings together studies of the effects of spanking that included a total of 160,927 children. "Our analysis focuses on what most Americans would recognize as spanking and not on potentially abusive behaviors," Gershoff said in a statement. Spanking was defined as an open-handed slap to the buttocks or limbs.

Gershoff concluded that there is an association between spanking and 13 of the 17 detrimental outcomes they tested for. Most strikingly, she found that it is a very ineffective way to get children to follow parents' wishes.

"We found that spanking was associated with unintended detrimental outcomes and was not associated with more immediate or long-term compliance, which are parents' intended outcomes when they discipline their children," Gershoff said.

On top of this, the traditional line that “it never did me any harm” doesn't stand up very well. Adults who were spanked as a child were more likely to suffer mental health problems and to behave in anti-social ways.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/spanking-leads-angrier-and-more-defiant-children/

Plus, spanking is basically socially acceptable child abuse. It's a very archaic tradition already illegal in some countries.

randomguy1235
05-17-2017, 01:03 AM
Do you want to know how to fix the little bastards' issues? You smack the hell out of them and yell loudly at them. Don't take shit from your kids.

That's how you ensure your children permanently lose at least 5 IQ points (less grey matter) and experience all manner of developmental impairments + social dysfunction. Meta-analyses on parenting studies conducted over the past 60 years have invariably shown that corporeal punishment is empirically proven to be detrimental to a child's well-being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbiq2-ukfhM

http://www.acestudy.org/index.html

Sorry I thumbed you down but what you and the vast majority of people advocate is incredibly barbaric and anti-intellectual (to say the least).

Hadouken
05-17-2017, 01:04 AM

:picard1:

GhoulHunter
05-18-2017, 11:39 PM

Ok, it may sound a bit harsh - I'm not suggesting that a child should be "beaten" but spankings are not abuse, right? A kid needs to learn early on what is and isn't acceptable behaviour and a healthy respect and even fear of consequences for bad behaviour is necessary to keep children from acting like brats.

Would you like to know how many times my uncle, who worked CPS & young offenders for many many years, heard about "loving" parents and their non-abusive spankings? How about the boy, 11, who was beaten so badly his parents had the gale of phoning the school for a week & claiming he had the "flu" least someone call CPS on them cause his skin was more befitting tattoo work by an artist who wasn't just drunk as a skunk but high as a kite due to the bruising? How about the girl, 15, who as discipine was held down by her mother while her father beat her so badly with a belt they literally cut her skin? Scarred her for life. How about the boy, 9, who after getting a spanking had "daddy dearest" reward the boy's crying by kicking him in the face & telling him to "man up"? How about? How about? How about?

But spanking isn't abuse? What is it then? It gets it in the mind, it's "okay" to beat my child. But where does one draw the line? What happens if you or your spouse get a little too drunk, get a little too angry? What's keeping someone from beating them black & blue? What's stopping someone from reaching for the belt the next time around?

People like to say they've got the "self control" to stop in physical discpline. Suuurreee they do. In their wildest dreams. If they had self-control to begin with they'd have laid down ground rules from the start & never had to lay a hand on the child to begin with.

Besides, as said, beating a kid isn't guaranteeing you respect. It's likely going to guarantee you a kid who is fearful of others. And like a beaten dog, a beaten kid reacts one or two ways. It withdraws in on itself, becoming meek & antisocial, etc. Or it "bites" before the hand can beat it thus leading to potential delinquency behaviors.

Ironically my parents never hit anyone of us. They treated us exactly how this Leonard Sax is saying, treat your kids like grown-ups. Because of that, I respect my parents. Embarrassing them was not letting just them down but letting myself / siblings down. Even when my mother took five of us, ages 6 to 11, to a local restaurant the waitress with 30 years experience could not stop complimenting her on how well behaved we were.

Dandelion
05-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Two decades ago kids played outside. Nowadays they sit behind their computer. :old

Dandelion
05-18-2017, 11:44 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/57/51/fb5751e87e0a5f0f09ce9a90bc9c7512.jpg

Wadaad's mom (the matriarch): "I didn't raise no pussies."

I just repeat his word for word.