PDA

View Full Version : 'Sup

Absinthe
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Remember me? :D It's been a while and I thought I'd drop by to say

http://meowcheese.com/files/lolpics/2009/01/oh-hai-.jpg

So here's the latest news.... My dissapearance from the internet has to do with the fact that I've been lately been trying hard to make ends meet financially, as you would have heard about the situation in Greece....

In the last three jobs I've worked at during the last years I was seriously overworked (sometimes 7 days/week, 12hrs/day) and from the last two jobs I never got paid.

So at the beginning of November, when I really was at the worst shape ever, I was offered a job by my boyfriend's best friend, at the same environmental NGO where they both are working now.

I had to act really FAST to quit my last job and get this one, so I ended up working there on the same afternoon that I had quit the other job (no time whatsoever to take a single breath!!! ) and for the last three weeks we have all been there literally from dawn till dusk to set up this new "ecological" bookstore that opened yesterday (Nov.21).

So we had been surrounded by bookshelves trying to put everything to place, price the books, list them and organize everything while at the same time do 100 other tasks that need to be done for a new shop to be opened.
At the same time we also had guests from the United States (my boyfriend's professor from Stanford along with his wife) that we must entertain every second night.
It was an awkard timing indeed but their visit was planned before we knew that we would be working on this project.

On top of everything else I have been starting new classes (seminars) for this year, one on Japanese society and culture (that my boyfriend teaches) and one on the Evolution of Political Theories in the West.... :p
These are basically my little treats as with this kind of life it's really hard to keep my sanity if I don't exercise my mind with something meaningful...

On the remaining time I am trying to go to the gym as often as possible *and* trying to have a social life... :D

So now I work inside this beautiful environmental park called Parko Tritsi (Maniot+Jerney should really visit during the Holidays :thumb001:) at this really cute and cosy bookstore :)
I feel really secure as the owner (and our "boss") is actually a friend of ours so he won't abuse our work rights like all my previous employers did...
And all in all life is good these days :) And I missed you guys/gals! :wavey001:

Absinthe
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
And no, I'm not married, or pregnant (as some folks suggested) :D That would be the last thing I needed right now :p

Sally
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
This is excellent news! A bookshop? Very cool. :thumb001:

Absinthe
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
This is excellent news! A bookshop? Very cool. :thumb001:
Yeah, I was actually thinking about you because at some point we want to make a small library in there, where people can just read without buying... I'd ask you about what's the system to classify books ;)

Alison
11-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Aaah, good to have you back, sweets. And I'm really pleased that you have finally found something good, and that you will be treated well. :)

The Lawspeaker
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Well well :) If you have some Dutch books and I find myself in Athens one day I'll drop by to sample :)

Matritensis
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
It's good to have back one of the wittiest and quickest minds around here! Now entertain us please :p

Fortis in Arduis
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM
What are you doing about the not getting paid?

Svanhild
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Glad you're fine, Absi. Books about debt redemption must be the current bestseller in Greece. :wink Maybe your book shop can export some to Ireland. :D

Aemma
11-22-2010, 04:45 PM
:hug2: It's nice to see you back A.! :)

Groenewolf
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Good luck with the bookstore.:thumb001: And don't be a stranger here.

Eldritch
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
What are you doing about the not getting paid?

That happened to me too once. My employer went bankrupt, and I had to sue the company. It took a long time, but finally got most of my money, except about 800€ the court said there was not enough evidence I was entitled to. Don't just let these things slide. ;)

Allenson
11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi! :)

Brynhild
11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome back. Nice to see things going well for you. :thumb001:

Loki
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Hello there! :) Great to hear things are looking up for you. It's about time. :thumb001:

ikki
11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Made me think of this lil store: http://www.ninelivesbooks.com/

Big maze of shelves with used cheap books, a bunch of found cats that may or may not want to play with customers and a bunch of fluffy chairs all around. Free coffee too!
..trust me, that system makes want to buy something.. :D

New books aquired iirc by handing out store credits. So its like a big open club of book sharing, that hopefully ads something to a paycheck beyond rents and catfood.