PDA

View Full Version : What could my haplogroups tell me about my genealogy?

Noman
06-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Hey guys,

My Y-DNA is R2a and my mtDNA is U7. I am having difficult times finding my family tree. Could, in some way, my haplgroups predict something about my family tree?

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Doesnt tell you anything unless you have Matches for your Y-STR markers.

Noman
06-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Doesnt tell you anything unless you have Matches for your Y-STR markers.

How do I find matches for Y-STR markers?

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 12:55 AM
How do I find matches for Y-STR markers?

you need to test with a DNA testing company that does Haplogroup Testing for Y-STR markers. The most popular one for that is FTDNA. But theres a few others also I think. But less popular I think. Not sure though.

Skjaldemjøden
06-10-2017, 09:06 PM
No, nothing whatsoever. Follow the paper trail if you wanna learn about your genealogy.

Dick
06-10-2017, 09:10 PM
you need to test with a DNA testing company that does Haplogroup Testing for Y-STR markers. The most popular one for that is FTDNA. But theres a few others also I think. But less popular I think. Not sure though.

Big Y is even better test. SNPs are more accurate.

Kelmendasi
06-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Your Ydna haplogroup is a common one in the sub-continent and is linked to the Indus valley civilization. Your Mtdna haplogroup is a Eurasian one and supposedly originated near the Black sea, it is believed that large scale migrations like the Indo-European migration brought this haplogroup to the sub-continent

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Big Y is even better test. SNPs are more accurate.
Not for geneology. Its for finding your haplogroup. I had big Y done but I had a near exact match on Y str. He was only a genetic distance of 2. So it means our last common ancestor was only hundreds of years ago or less. But with still high probability as low recent as 9 generations ago. And he didnt do the Y111 test he did the Y60 i think its called. I have Y111 done. He didnt do big Y but since his Y str markers was so close he was grouped in the same haplogroup as me.

Dick
06-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Not for geneology. Its for finding your haplogroup. I had big Y done but I had a near exact match on Y str. He was only a genetic distance of 2. So it means our last common ancestor was only hundreds of years ago or less. But with still high probability as low recent as 9 generations ago. And he didnt do the Y111 test he did the Y60 i think its called. I have Y111 done. He didnt do big Y but since his Y str markers was so close he was grouped in the same haplogroup as me.

In that case, yes. So he did 67? How far back does 37 and 25 str markers go then?

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 09:24 PM
In that case, yes. So he did 67? How far back does 37 and 25 str markers go then?

?? I dont know the specifics. It just means overall they tested 67 markers vs 111. They just compare the markers. Some Y str markers mutate faster than other but they still mutate slow over hundreds of years. I only had like 1 or 2 str marker differences from his first Y-67 compared to the first 67 of mine.

Dick
06-10-2017, 09:25 PM
?? I dont know the specifics. It just means overall they tested 67 markers vs 111. They just compare the markers. Some Y str markers mutate faster than other but they still mutate slow over hundreds of years. I only had like 1 or 2 str marker differences from his first Y-67 compared to the first 67 of mine.

Gotcha. It's good he did the 67 marker test then. So many men only do 12 or 25 markers.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Gotcha. It's good he did the 67 marker test then. So many men only do 12 or 25 markers.
Yea i know. So many kits haplogroups could be refined closer to kits who already have snps checked if the just did 67 or higher.

Dick
06-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Yea i know. So many kits haplogroups could be refined closer to kits who already have snps checked if the just did 67 or higher.

Ftdna should make 67 markers mandatory.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Ftdna should make 67 markers mandatory.
Y str 35 might work also. He did y 35 originally and the admin told us he that he would be the same haplogroup. But Y 25 and Y 12 is too low in my opinion . He just told him to do Y67 to refine how. close our kits. Y 35 would probably do as well but I think at least 67 should be good. In my personal opinion its better to save and wait longer to just do the whole thing that way you know your data will be good because any less is really being incomplete.

Noman
06-10-2017, 11:18 PM

Thank you!

It's expensive; however, I will still look over it.

Noman
06-10-2017, 11:18 PM
No, nothing whatsoever. Follow the paper trail if you wanna learn about your genealogy.

I don't have my family tree. No one in my family has.

Skjaldemjøden
06-10-2017, 11:20 PM
I don't have my family tree. No one in my family has.

Then make it..

Noman
06-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Your Ydna haplogroup is a common one in the sub-continent and is linked to the Indus valley civilization. Your Mtdna haplogroup is a Eurasian one and supposedly originated near the Black sea, it is believed that large scale migrations like the Indo-European migration brought this haplogroup to the sub-continent

Would I be wrong, if I assume that my ancestors were from Indus Valley?

Noman
06-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Then make it..

I can't go back more than Great grandfather.

Skjaldemjøden
06-10-2017, 11:32 PM
I can't go back more than Great grandfather.

Why is that?

Noman
06-11-2017, 01:26 AM
Why is that?

No one recorded that data, and I don't know why!

Kelmendasi
06-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Would I be wrong, if I assume that my ancestors were from Indus Valley?
No you wouldn't be wrong but you would need to do further testing to see where your sub-clade is found in

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Thank you!

It's expensive; however, I will still look over it.
No problem

Skjaldemjøden
06-20-2017, 06:10 PM
No one recorded that data, and I don't know why!

Surely there are some records? Have you tried with the Mormons' website? What about gravestones?

Noman
06-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Surely there are some records? Have you tried with the Mormons' website? What about gravestones?

:) My fellow forumer, the place where I come from has no Mormons or gravestone records.

Skjaldemjøden
06-22-2017, 11:41 PM
:) My fellow forumer, the place where I come from has no Mormons or gravestone records.

Can't you ask your grandparents or great-aunts/uncles?

Noman
06-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Can't you ask your grandparents or great-aunts/uncles?

Grandparents are already passed out. No one knows!
Yeah, it sucks. I have to go back my country, and talk to the people living in our town. Maybe, they know something.

Skjaldemjøden
06-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Grandparents are already passed out. No one knows!
Yeah, it sucks. I have to go back my country, and talk to the people living in our town. Maybe, they know something.

Don't wait too long. So you're Indian/Pakistani?