PDA

View Full Version : Do you like kebabs ?

Atlas
02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks god for fucking Kebab, if there wasn't a Kebab shop in every corner in Europe I would starve.

Just thought of creating this thread because I'm having one right now. Very tasty. :thumb001:

Skandi
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I said yes, but I'll issue a caveat to that, I only like Chicken or Lamb kebabs, when done properly on a grill. Then I have them with the salad and no sauce, so their good for you too :)

Beorn
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Only when I am drunk. My sense of smell and taste goes when I am drunk, and Kebabs are brilliant for filling a hole.

I have tried kebabs when sober, and thanked God for alcohol.

Absinthe
02-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't even like meat, let alone smelly, greasy, anatolian kebab. So there's your answer :D

Loki
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Only when I am drunk.

Same here. After a good night out, there is nothing to re-grease your stomach like a juicy kebab. ;)

I guess one of the reasons why kebabs are popular in Europe, is because kebab shops are often the only food-selling outlets still open when bars and nightclubs close ... so hungry revellers have nowhere else to go to fill the empty spots.

woody
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't even like meat, let alone smelly, greasy, anatolian kebab. So there's your answer :D

I love dead flesh. But, you know, you CAN do only veggies. The mushrooms, peppers, ect...even that by itself is good. But, you know, Meat can't be Beat! :thumb001:

Loddfafner
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I have had good kebabs, but as for the ones in those garish shops in Europe, I tried them in desperation when they were the only places open during off hours. They were oversalted and tasted as if they were marinated in the waste products of a chemical factory. They made Philly cheesesteaks seem edible by comparison.

SouthernBoy
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
The idea of mutilating a perfectly good steak and surrounding it with nasty vegetables just isn't right. I hate shish kabobs. :p

Skandi
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
The idea of mutilating a perfectly good steak and surrounding it with nasty vegetables just isn't right. I hate shish kabobs. :p

Damn they are my favourite :) maybe that's because I'm a girl and rather like the salady bits!

woody
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM

I don't care how it is, just as long as it gets in my belly!

Vargtand
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I make an effort not to eat it, the less Arabs I can sponsor with money the better.

Ceallach
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
They are Ok as long as you have had a few drinks, otherwise I would not bother to go out and buy one.

Treffie
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I had a large chicken sheesh kebab last night with Garlic sauce, lettuce and onions. I wuz in heaven!

Lady L
02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Actually, I don't like kebabs...well, OK...I have never really tried one. My mother always enjoyed them at the Steak House...they consisted of basically meat-bell peppers-onions...is this the kind of thing a kebab usually is..? :cool::D The only meat on a stick I'd eat is probably...corndog! :tongue

Brynhild
02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I love them! My favourite food when I was pregnant, but hold the onions.

Skandi
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I agree there Bryn onions are ick

SwordoftheVistula
02-08-2009, 08:59 AM
They're alright. I much prefer a cheeseburger.

Maelstrom
02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
They're alright. I much prefer a cheeseburger.

A couple of nights ago when I was drunk, me and some friends went through the McDonalds drive-through. She, like myself, is vegetarian. We proceeded to order two cheeseburgers - minus the meat!

The look that the person at the window gave us... The right words just don't exist! ;)

I quite like kebabs in NZ. Doener Kebabs in Germany were pretty gross, but really good when drunk. I don't often eat kebabs here in NZ, they're not that popular or well known.

My brother and I went into a Turkish restaurant some weeks ago and ordered kebabs. I had a quite nice one with falafel as opposed to meat. Tasted quite nutritious :) The poor Turkish bloke that was working in there though... He was completely miserable. :( And he didn't even look Turkish, like the Turks I saw in Germany. Probably could have passed for something less Eastern in my books, was a very well spoken chap too.

Stossy
02-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Well i voted yes.
My mum buys it sometimes for me at the store, i only eat it when i go out to drink a lot. It fills my stomach pretty well :p.
But I don't eat it on a regular basis, maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

Eldritch
02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I crave junk food too when I'm drunk, but I don't like kebab. Cheeseburgers, fish & chips, sausage & chips, Finnish meat-and-rice pies etc. are the way to go for me.

Revenant
02-08-2009, 03:32 PM
No. Closest thing I eat to it is Souvlaki.

I steer clear from them for the same reason as Vargtand.

Aemma
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Mmmmm kebabs...well we don't have kebab street vendors here...hot dogs and bratwurst or Italian sausages, yes, chip wagons to get some poutine, yes, but not kebabs. The closest sources we have for this type of food are found in restaurants or pre-made in grocery stores or make-your-own to grill (Ottawans tend to bbq a lot), and they go by the name of 'brochettes' (fully loaded with meat and veggies) or 'souvlaki' (smaller wooden skewers and just meat, no veggies) here usually. We have a good-sized Lebanese community in Ottawa and a smallish yet decently sized Greek community too so this type of Mediterranean food is always (luckily) at hand. I looooooooove Greek food! :)

Well then if ever I go to London, I know what I must do: party hearty and then eat a kebab! :D But my ultimate goal is to still get some fish'n'chips!

Cheers!...Aemma

Baron Samedi
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
What is a kebab?

If you mean like skewered vegetables and meat on a stick, then yes..... Pure ownage.

Loki
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
What is a kebab?

If you mean like skewered vegetables and meat on a stick, then yes..... Pure ownage.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/1460452776_c084fc489b.jpg

By the way, saw this on Stirpes:

Italy bans kebabs and foreign food from cities (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article5622156.ece)

Baron Samedi
02-09-2009, 04:48 PM

By the way, saw this on Stirpes:

Italy bans kebabs and foreign food from cities (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article5622156.ece)

That looks amazingly delicious.

Beorn
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Could you imagine the mess in Britain's streets if we banned kebabs and replaced them with spaghetti? :eek:

There'd be meat balls everywhere!

Treffie
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Could you imagine the mess in Britain's streets if we banned kebabs and replaced them with spaghetti? :eek:

There'd be meat balls everywhere!

I dunno, ever been to Caroline Street in Cardiff aka Chip Alley? :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1406/756902302_f4b1dd536b.jpg?v=0

Inese
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I never eat Kebab it is a turkish and arabic meal!! :mad: That are the people who want to occupy Europe with immigration and their birth rate and who hate us for not bowing down to their dirty god!!! I would never ever spend one cent for such food because every cent would be a cent for muslims and the enemies of our people and cultures!!

People who prefer kebab over local cuisine are traitors to the own kind!! You dont want moschees in your city but think about what Ali or Mohammad from the kebab restaurant does with the money you gave him? He supports muslim streamings and buildings!! There are meat scandals happening regularly , the meat quality of kebab is very week and muslims often throw dirt into the kabab to make fun of the infidel buyers. In Germany there was a big kebab scandal , they found sperm in a kebab, too. Happy meal!!!

That looks like diarrhea framed with mildew!! Mjam majm...

Osweo
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I never eat Kebab it is a turkish and arabic meal!! :mad: That are the people who want to occupy Europe with immigration and their birth rate and who hate us for not bowing down to their dirty god!!! I would never ever spend one cent for such food because every cent would be a cent for muslims and the enemies of our people and cultures!!

Very well said! I can't believe so many here talk of buying from them as though it was the most perfectly natural thing to do in the world. :mad:

I will admit that I like the taste. Fat and meat do that to a man. But I don't buy from Asians. Not anything. I've lived by this for a few years now and it's quite possible once you set your mind to it.

In Durham there is a chippy called Bimbi's where they do nice kebabs, where all the people who work there are local English women. I don't think it's foreign owned. I would let them off and eat the stuff, but it strikes me that the kebab meat comes from the same producers, most like as not from a Halal Butchers.

I refuse to eat their filthy meat, Halal or Kosher, all tortured to death, and so should every European.

This is kosher, but it's all the same:
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=agri_short&Player=wm

Beorn
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
People who prefer kebab over local cuisine are traitors to the own kind!!

An absurd statement.

If I choose to eat a kebab on a Friday night out then that money would be going to the pocket of an enterprising immigrant.
An immigrant on the whole I would prefer not to see, but at least the immigrant is providing a welcome service to the community he has adopted and settled in.

The day that eating a kebab is seen as being a traitor to your country, is the day a rabbit with a pancake on its head is seen as a reasonable response to someone's comment.

Osweo
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
It's quite simple; They wouldn't be here if they couldn't make money out of us...

An easy choice for me.

Beorn
02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
They wouldn't be here if they couldn't make money out of us...

True, they would simply steal it instead. Where there is a will, there is a way, and there is always a way and a will.

If they are going to at least contribute towards popular cultural past times and the economy of Britain, then all is well with me till a time can be approached to relocate and resettle them elsewhere.

Aemma
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
People who prefer kebab over local cuisine are traitors to the own kind!!

An absurd statement.

I couldn't agree more with you BWW. Come on Inese, the question was quite simply "Do you like kebabs?" not "In supporting local businesses/merchants, do you tend to support Folk or do you tend to generally support small business owners no matter what their heritage?" :rolleyes:

I'm very far from the belief (in terms of answering this very simple poll at any rate) that my food preferences in terms of culinary and/or gastronomic value have anything to do with my politics. I was asked if I like grilled meat and vegetables on a skewer. Yes I do. The damned stuff just tastes good! There's nothing political about that. I'm afraid that the side serving of politics here is just giving me a tad of indigestion.

Cheers!...Aemma

Absinthe
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I fall somewhere in between in the above dilemma:

enjoying some foreign cuisine every now and then is not a crime, but excessive suppory of foreign goods is bad for your country.

However, I don't think there is direct causation between eating kebab and supporting foreigners, because they're not here to sell kebab, but because our governments let them in regardless of whether they would sell kebab or not.

So if you don't eat kebab they will stay here anyway, and live on welfare (your tax money) or steal, like BWW said.

Of course, supporting their businesses does not encourage them to leave, either.

Aemma
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I fall somewhere in between in the above dilemma:

enjoying some foreign cuisine every now and then is not a crime, but excessive suppory of foreign goods is bad for your country.

However, I don't think there is direct causation between eating kebab and supporting foreigners, because they're not here to sell kebab, but because our governments let them in regardless of whether they would sell kebab or not.

So if you don't eat kebab they will stay here anyway, and live on welfare (your tax money) or steal, like BWW said.

Of course, supporting their businesses does not encourage them to leave, either.

Though I can readily understand what you're saying Absinthe, the question was quite simply put "Do you like kebabs?" I think it hardly fair that those of us who answered "yes we do like the food itself" can be called bloody traitors to our own kind. Inese's comment was excessively over-the-top imho. Shall we split this into another thread perhaps and the real underlying question be asked then? But I'll be damned if I'm going to be called a traitor to my kind for enjoying the taste of certain food combinations. It's utterly ridiculous!

Why people are choosing to read more into this question is beyond me really. :rolleyes:

Cheers!...Aemma

Inese
02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
If I choose to eat a kebab on a Friday night out then that money would be going to the pocket of an enterprising immigrant.
An immigrant on the whole I would prefer not to see, but at least the immigrant is providing a welcome service to the community he has adopted and settled in.
This is most of time not the truth. Kebab inns and kebab restaurants are mostly there for their countrymen .....Turk, Pakistani or Arabs!! The money you spend goes into muslim institutions because most muslims are organisized! Mosque, muslim culture club and many many more!
If infidels buy kebab the kebab seller often goes to an other skewer to slice meat. Many kebab inns have different skewers , on for muslim brothers and one for the rest. The quality of the meat for the rest is very bad!!! It is the cheapest meat they can get. And I am not talking nonsens now it is a fact!!

You say kebab sellers provide a welcome service to the community! I ask why do you fall into their trap?? They mock around with us, us, the naive West! You are Englander! Have you forgot the terrorists of London and the many other terrorists who planed attacks in Britain? Many of them were well "integrated" , you would say this. The friendly student, the friendly family father, the friendly kebab seller...all are just sooooo superfriendly!! But this is bullshit they play a cheap game on us.

You give them your money they smile at you and think about the stupid Englander who is buying the shit!! Englanders are not famous for the food but i am sure your food is much better than muslim crap. And it is about principles too!!!

The day that eating a kebab is seen as being a traitor to your country, is the day a rabbit with a pancake on its head is seen as a reasonable response to someone's comment.
I like rabbits with pancakes. It is surely better than Kebab! :cool:

Come on Inese, the question was quite simply "Do you like kebabs?" not "In supporting local businesses/merchants, do you tend to support Folk or do you tend to generally support small business owners no matter what their heritage?" :rolleyes:
Both questions have something to do with eachother! Maybe you dont want to see it because you dont want to question your own attitude but it is true!! Where do you buy your meal is a ideological decision also.

If you buy from them you support them. If you support them you give them a reason to be here in your country. If you give them a reason to be here you cant crizise their presence in your countrys at the same time because you support them with your eating habit!!

It is so simple dont buy from people you want out. You want muslims out? Dont buy anything from them. Buy from them and load yourself with guilty!! Where are you from?? Think about how many local inns and restaurants from your country have to close the doors forever because people like you prefer buying dirty kebab from the muslim next door or one or two streets away!! You say it is delicious but i am sure your country has many delicious snacks too!! :wink

You say you dont give them much money if you buy kebab one or two times in a week or month. But if many people of your country think so, hundred thousands, then we talk about a sum of MILLIONS and MULTIMILLIONS EURO! Then it become a matter for the foreigners!! Your money for them. Stinks!

Lady L
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
This is most of time not the truth. Kebab inns and kebab restaurants are mostly there for their countrymen .....Turk, Pakistani or Arabs!! The money you spend goes into muslim institutions because most muslims are organisized! Mosque, muslim culture club and many many more!
If infidels buy kebab the kebab seller often goes to an other skewer to slice meat. Many kebab inns have different skewers , on for muslim brothers and one for the rest. The quality of the meat for the rest is very bad!!! It is the cheapest meat they can get. And I am not talking nonsens now it is a fact!!

You say kebab sellers provide a welcome service to the community! I ask why do you fall into their trap?? They mock around with us, us, the naive West! You are Englander! Have you forgot the terrorists of London and the many other terrorists who planed attacks in Britain? Many of them were well "integrated" , you would say this. The friendly student, the friendly family father, the friendly kebab seller...all are just sooooo superfriendly!! But this is bullshit they play a cheap game on us.

You give them your money they smile at you and think about the stupid Englander who is buying the shit!! Englanders are not famous for the food but i am sure your food is much better than muslim crap. And it is about principles too!!!

I like rabbits with pancakes. It is surely better than Kebab! :cool:

Both questions have something to do with eachother! Maybe you dont want to see it because you dont want to question your own attitude but it is true!! Where do you buy your meal is a ideological decision also.

If you buy from them you support them. If you support them you give them a reason to be here in your country. If you give them a reason to be here you cant crizise their presence in your countrys at the same time because you support them with your eating habit!!

It is so simple dont buy from people you want out. You want muslims out? Dont buy anything from them. Buy from them and load yourself with guilty!! Where are you from?? Think about how many local inns and restaurants from your country have to close the doors forever because people like you prefer buying dirty kebab from the muslim next door or one or two streets away!! You say it is delicious but i am sure your country has many delicious snacks too!! :wink

You say you dont give them much money if you buy kebab one or two times in a week or month. But if many people of your country think so, hundred thousands, then we talk about a sum of MILLIONS and MULTIMILLIONS EURO! Then it become a matter for the foreigners!! Your money for them. Stinks!

Inese, maybe first before casting them all in the traitors section you need to understand we don't live in Latvia ...and most times ( in the South ) anyhow, the people selling kebabs are not Turk, Pakistani or Arabs. And, I imagine in the US and Canada we are not supporting them because they are not the ones selling them. :wink

I respect your idea though, and that you think you should not support them, and you shouldn't. But, the question here was simple...like Aemma said..." Do you like kebabs..? " It wasn't " call everyone traitors " for answering a silly thread. Now, the correct way to go into detail about this would be a thread asking do we support Foreigners with our dining habits..? :wink

Anyhow, just wanted to point out to you that most of us don't live in Latvia therefore our kebab support doesn't exactly suggest we are supporting any foreigner. :)

Aemma
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Inese, re-read what I posted. Either you don't understand what I said or you choose to not understand what I said. Either way, I can't put it any simpler than how I already have.

This is fodder for another thread, not this one in my opinion.

Inese, you have failed to understand any of the points that I made previously. I shan't be reiterating, reformulating nor rewording. All I can say is that you need to re-read what I posted.

Uhh nope, I'm not the author of these words which leads me to believe that you haven't even read any of my posts and much less thought about my comments with respect to the question of whether or not I liked kebabs.

Cheers!...Aemma

Beorn
02-10-2009, 07:33 PM
The money you spend goes into muslim institutions because most muslims are organisized! Mosque, muslim culture club and many many more!

I always thought the businesses paid taxes into an economy.

If infidels buy kebab the kebab seller often goes to an other skewer to slice meat. Many kebab inns have different skewers , on for muslim brothers and one for the rest. The quality of the meat for the rest is very bad!!! It is the cheapest meat they can get. And I am not talking nonsens now it is a fact!!This may happen in kebab shops in Latvia or Germany, but the takeaways in England serve from any skewer going, irrespective of who they are serving.
I have seen them eating from the very same skewer that they serve to the customers, and even fishing it off to their children in the back watching telly.

You say kebab sellers provide a welcome service to the community! I ask why do you fall into their trap?? What trap? I'm drunk and hungry.
He's providing a service which contributes to my nations economy.
Not ideal, but better than him taking and not providing.

Besides, I dole out my £3.50 for a kebab, then give the owner some racist abuse and eat my kebab.

They mock around with us, us, the naive West! You are Englander! Yes, perhaps they do. Which is why the "Englanders" give them abuse back as par for the course.

Brynhild
02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Fair Dinkum, why should politics get in the way of good food that you would eat now and then? Someone always has to stretch a thread in order to cause a pointless argument!

I eat kebabs occasionally, and I don't apologise for this. Sometimes I don't want to cook and if I'm out and about I will grab something that takes my fancy.

As far as I can tell, those who sell kebabs here are normally from a shop. They have to pay rent in order to run their business, upkeep their licence name, buy stock etc. They probably do make a tidy profit at the end of the day but if it means they support their families and our local community by doing what they do, then on the whole it doesn't bother me.

Now, if they were to be more organic in their produce, that would be an even bigger hit! :thumbs up

Osweo
02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I appreciate that kebab means different things in different countries, and so my comments, and Inese's are obviously only directed at residents in those for whom the fast food industry is similar to that in England. I believe northern Europe follows the model quite closely.

I always thought the businesses paid taxes into an economy.
Muslim colonists are as good as untouchable when it comes to such matters. The law enforcement and revenue services daren't touch them for the most part, and even if they did they would easily be fooled by the maze of family arrangements, linguistic problems and social organisation of the communities involved. Kebab shop owners and immigrants in general don't pull their weight in tax terms. And if the country was dirt poor and on basic subsistence level I wouldn't want their money anyway. Our local authorities make immense efforts to educate immigrants on the ins and outs of our tax and benefit system, thereby ensuring they always get the maximum benefit and least harm from them.

Fair Dinkum, why should politics get in the way of good food that you would eat now and then?
Everything we do is political. The invaders know this very well, and the Jews who have lived among us for centuries have never forgotten it either. Who you do business with, and where your money goes, has a direct effect on the ethnic circumstances of your homeland.

Someone always has to stretch a thread in order to cause a pointless argument!
We've seen Inese's slightly less polished English get her in scrapes before, and had her sentiments been phrased in a more subtle way, as a native speaker could have done, we wouldn't be 'arguing' in the negative sense of the word. There are important matters related to the consumption of foreign prepared food, and a lot of people, including myself, feel very strongly about it. "Do you like kebabs?" is a question not too far from "Do you like the hijab?" for me. I can't discuss it without bringing politics into it. Actually, as I implied in my earlier post, "Do you like kebabs?" is EXACTLY the same question as "Do you like sheep and cattle to be bled to death in slow agony before you eat their meat?"

As far as I can tell, those who sell kebabs here are normally from a shop. They have to pay rent in order to run their business, upkeep their licence name, buy stock etc.
They rarely rent in England, and if they do, it's usually ffrom a local council that treats them with kid gloves.

They probably do make a tidy profit at the end of the day but if it means they support their families and our local community by doing what they do, then on the whole it doesn't bother me.
Supporting their families translates as ensuring that the future population of my country will have 5 Asians for every Englishman.

Now, if they were to be more organic in their produce, that would be an even bigger hit! :thumbs up
As if! They don't give a damn for such things. Organic meat comes from farmers with a conscience, usually precluding them from sending their stock off to be sliced to death in full consciousness by a Paki butcher.

Another important matter that has not yet been raised is the general effect that the opening of a kebab shop can have on an area, and even a whole town. With such fly-by-night establishments as tattoo parlours and tanning shops, they are a clear sign of decay. Quality local businesses are put off from even sharing a street with such seedy establishments. The predatory instincts of the muslim owners usually lead them to gradually buy up the entire row of shops that they work on, with obvious results. In a town I live by there was once a nice row of shops, even with a fairly up market Italian restaurant. Since several Tandooris and Kebab shops have opened up, the place has taken a nose dive. Litter, foreigners hanging around in the street, and even a worse element of our own people are now attracted there. Small towns should avoid such phenomena like the plague.

Red Skull
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I LOVE kebab. It's my #1 favorite dish.

And I don't mean the shish kebab variants. I'm talking about the godly döner kebab.

Aemma
02-13-2009, 04:01 PM
:) First off, good post Oswiu and I appreciate that you acknowledge not only perceptual but experiencial differences with respect to this issue. I think that sometimes we all forget that The Pond is more than just a mere geographical divide. :) I better understand your position now. It's all good Oswiu. :)

As always you raise some very good points as well in this post. I agree wholeheartedly with you that everything that we do in life is political. And the more that people wisen up to what seems to me to be a self-evident fact, the better off we'll all be. But we all pick our battles in the end. This one is yours and reflective of your reality, which I can very much appreciate and very much support (of course :)). My reality is entirely different. I live in a world of box stores and superstores...big multinational companies that own these places and run off small shop owners (most of whom in our smaller towns are of European/Northern European descent over here btw) and kill local economies and in the end neighbourhoods and spirits. I boycott Wal-Mart...this is my battle.

You might think that I'm comparing apples to oranges but in the end I'm not. The picture is much much larger than what we little people think it is. The consumerist agenda has permeated every level of our lives. It is the evil that allows immigration to occur in the first place and which in the end would make you equate "do you like kebabs?" with "do you like hijabs?".

A house divided can't stand on its own. If we can't as European preservationists allow our own members to pick and choose their own battles, their own political foci, but instead choose not to see that we all come at things from a different vantage point and then dismiss the other's points or worse, belittle them and totally misconstrue their political meaning (where one might not even have been contemplated), then it'll take us that much longer to get to where we want to be. While we're spinning our wheels in the muck, other groups are relishing in our inability to create some form of solidarity, some form of cohesiveness, some form of a focused community.

Yes I readily acknowledge that some members' first language is not English and that some, due to age, do lack an element of maturity or refinement in terms of expression of thought. But we all grow when we offer constructive comments and not condemnations of people ie., call other members on this board traitors to their own kind for picking a battle which might be different than their own. I would hazard to say that most members here know full well who they themselves are, what they themselves stand for, and what battles they themselves have chosen. Afterall, we're all members of this board for that ultimate reason aren't we, the cultural and ethnic preservation of European Peoples. In the end, my battle doesn't have to be the same as yours, as long as we battle side by side as brothers and sisters and keep an eye on the common goal. This is what is more important I believe.

Do I like kebabs? Sure I still do. They are considered a Greek souvlaki here or a French brochette.

Do I like the hijab? No.

Two totally different questions for me and one which has no link to the other.

Having said this however you have given me much food for thought (ya ok, pun intended :)) and I shall be thinking twice about where I buy my souvlaki. But not my French brochettes though...they're French! :p

Cheers for now Oswiu!...Aemma :)

Sigurd
02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I rarely ever eat Kebab, usually if there's no other better option, or the curiosity gets the better of me (like Oswiu I'm a man who holds the opinion "Meat + Fat = Best thing since sliced bread). I generally tend to regret it becaues it isn't exactly a high standard of food. Every time I've eaten one in the past year or so (about three times?), I wished afterwards that I went with my usual trip to the bakery for take-away food as really a tub of Stovies or even Maccaroni Cheese, or a Bacon & Sausage Roll or a Steak Pie are well superior and more wholesome anyhow. :wink

And if it really has to be unhealthy - there's King Ribs, Burgers, Smoked Sausages and the likes at every indigenous Chippy, sadly also a trade in decline due to the advent of sub-standard ethnic take-aways ... I'm not a sucker for fish, but they offer such a variety of "indigenous takeaway that there's something for everyone, really. Not to mention that the chips are usually superior to the ones in the ethnic's. And the unlikelihood of a baked potato in any ethnic place, if that's what floats your boat.

The quality of the meat for the rest is very bad!!! It is the cheapest meat they can get. And I am not talking nonsens now it is a fact!!´

I can say this from experience. Within the last 5 years I have perhaps eaten 10-15 kebabs in total. Early this week was the second time I've taken a (slight) food poisoning away from it. The juice is simply not worth the squeeze. :rolleyes2:

Therefore, next time I let my curiosity get the better from me, I shall roast some chicken myself, have my own garlic sauce and salad prepared and wrap them up with my own dough wraps. Well, with a little help from the shop as roasting/flame grilling the chicken is probably the only thing a traditional boy like me's going to manage but you get the drift: If you really want to ,you can homemake a "Kebab" of sorts. :thumbs up

Besides the obvious issue of there being Kebab stores around every corner - the hygiene standards and the quality of the food is oft so sub-standard, and even though I've probably been extremely unlucky in having a 20% food poisoning rate from a Kebab, it does kind of go a long way of showing that your friday kebab is not the epitome of quality food. :eek:

You are Englander! Have you forgot the terrorists of London and the many other terrorists who planed attacks in Britain? Many of them were well "integrated" , you would say this. The friendly student, the friendly family father, the friendly kebab seller...all are just sooooo superfriendly!! But this is bullshit they play a cheap game on us.

Indeed. The guys involved with the attacks at Glasgow Airport were all highly qualified, I believe some of them were even doctors? Weeding the clever lad from the bum does have the advantage of lessening the number of scrounging Turks and Pakistani on the road --- but it doesn't make our countries any safer. The Glasgow Bombing has shown quite coherently that even a doctor, supposed to save lives, is capable of placing people's lives at jeopardy for reasons of religious fundamentalism. :coffee:

Indeed, it should be kept to a minimum, really. The fact that most Pizzas here are made by Pakistani corner-takeaways should hint at the fact that it doesn't take the ethnicity in question to make a certain meal. In fact, remembering from back home, my German mother makes excellent Pizza, my German father makes excellent Lasagne, and my stepfather (Austrian/English, grew up in Apartheid South Africa) has been known to make the most excellent Asian dishes.

All the ingredients you need for these foods can be found in local stores, or at best the supermarket. Ethnic foods are nice for a good part, but if push comes to shove, it's all in our hands to make it ourselves, not to mention cheaper and more tailored to our personal tastes. :thumb001:

Fair enough - I must say that as a student with little cooking expertise, I tend to rely on takeaways at times --- but if you want a Pizza, then why go to the ethnic around the corner if there's a Pizza Hut, and if you want a burger - why go to the ethnic if there's a chippy around the other corner?

That being said, I sometimes do head to the odd ethnic restaurant, but in Aberdeen my favourite - despite the dear prices - amongst them must remain the Hungarian (and other than that, of course highest on the list, all the usual "pub lunch" restaurants, but that's not "ethnic food" of course. :))

Anyhow, just wanted to point out to you that most of us don't live in Latvia therefore our kebab support doesn't exactly suggest we are supporting any foreigner. :)

Well, then it's absolutely fine and great. Ethnic cuisine is enriching to every gourmet tongue, ethnics at large are not. Since it does not need the latter to cook the former, you may of course indulge in it without feeling "guilty". :thumb001:

SuuT
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
LOL. There are posts, and an actual debate about kebabs in this forum! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ha ha ha h ah ah ah ah ah ahahhahhahahhahahaha!

Alright. I'm done. Carry on. :D :clap:

Osweo
02-13-2009, 06:44 PM
And if it really has to be unhealthy - there's King Ribs, Burgers, Smoked Sausages and the likes at every indigenous Chippy, sadly also a trade in decline due to the advent of sub-standard ethnic take-aways ... I'm not a sucker for fish, but they offer such a variety of "indigenous takeaway that there's something for everyone, really. Not to mention that the chips are usually superior to the ones in the ethnic's. And the unlikelihood of a baked potato in any ethnic place, if that's what floats your boat.

Summat else I forgot to mention there; supporting Asian businesses is killing our own Chippies. Soon there'll be none left. Not having the knack of playing the system for all its worth, like their immigrant counterparts, our Chippy owners are progressively screwed out of existence.

Loki
02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Summat else I forgot to mention there; supporting Asian businesses is killing our own Chippies. Soon there'll be none left. Not having the knack of playing the system for all its worth, like their immigrant counterparts, our Chippy owners are progressively screwed out of existence.

Where I live most of the chippies are owned by Chinese ...

Osweo
02-13-2009, 07:29 PM
It's not that case Everywhere yet. A 'Chinese' isn't a proper 'Chippy' anyroad. Mind you, you've never really had decent Chippies Darn Sarf at any time...
"Don't do peas, Mate."
"Chips n gravy, then."
"Don't do gravy."
"Hast got owt moist?"

Apologies to Bolton comedian Peter Kay.

As a serious point though, it's interesting to watch how people's opinions are shaped by what they're used to. People even in these fora are far more acceptive of things that would have horrified their ideological predecessors of even twenty years ago. Down in the South, expecially in London, people seem to barely remember what it was like before mass immigration. We DID MANAGE TO LIVE before they came here!

Treffie
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
It's not that case Everywhere yet. A 'Chinese' isn't a proper 'Chippy' anyroad. Mind you, you've never really had decent Chippies Darn Sarf at any time...
"Don't do peas, Mate."
"Chips n gravy, then."
"Don't do gravy."
"Hast got owt moist?"

Don't worry about it, I was most disappointed when I stayed in Hereford once, called into a chippy and they didn't sell rissoles! :mmmm:

Osweo
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Don't worry about it, I was most disappointed when I stayed in Hereford once, called into a chippy and they didn't sell rissoles! :mmmm:

I don't even know what one is!

I'd probably be even more horrified by South Wales chippies than Herefordshire ones, if a rissole is as fancy as it sounds!

I hope to the Gods it's just a badly pronounced fish cake... ;)

Revenant
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Ah nothing like a good old rissole.:D

I've never got them at the fish and chip shop but, my Nan used to make them for me. Good food for a growing lad. A rissole (the version I got) is a bit like a large hamburger patty with some diced onion in it.

Treffie
02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't even know what one is!

I'd probably be even more horrified by South Wales chippies than Herefordshire ones, if a rissole is as fancy as it sounds!

I hope to the Gods it's just a badly pronounced fish cake... ;)

Just for you Oswiu - a rissole (and chips)

The ones down here are made with mashed potato and minced beef, sometimes corned beef, covered in breadcrumbs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/2269282669_515c465da1.jpg

Lady L
02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I noticed Skadi stole this thread from us...:rolleyes2: Saying we all loved kebabs and supporting foreigners...:rolleyes2:

Vulpix
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I love meat, but I don't eat kebabs. I don't want to buy from Turks, Muslims etc. Food or anything else.

Vulpix
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
From the Daily Mail:

Dangerous food poisoning bugs infect one in 20 kebabs (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1159670/Dangerous-food-poisoning-bugs-infect-20-kebabs-all.html)

One in 20 kebabs carries a food poisoning risk from bugs such as salmonella and E.coli, worrying research has found.

The sauces and salads served by 1,277 kebab shops were checked by health officers.
While most were clean, five per cent were discovered to be a potential health risk from salmonella, E.coli, staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus spp.

Lettuce can carry the salmonella and Bacillus spp bugs if the leaves are not washed thoroughly.

More worringly, E.coli and Staph. aureus are found on the hands and in the nose, suggesting staff are not adhering to hand-washing hygiene practices.

Food can also become contaminated if not covered or stored at the right temperature.

Dr Jim McLauchlin, of the Health Protection Agency, said: 'Ready-to-eat foods which contain unsatisfactory levels of bacteria suggest that hygiene practices may not be to an adequate standard.
'The results emphasise that good hygiene practices and high standards of cleanliness must be maintained across the board at all times to prevent food from becoming contaminated. No food items should be overlooked.
'Businesses should also ensure that all members of staff are fully trained in food hygiene practices.'
Kebabs are generally served with a salad made from shredded lettuce, tomatoes and onions, often also with cabbage and cucumbers. Usually there is a choice between a yoghurt, chilli or garlic sauce.
The researchers found that cucumber, which is handled for chopping, was most likely to be contaminated. Chilli sauce was the biggest risk of the various sauces.
In most cases, the bugs found will cause stomach upsets which are likely to keep people off work for a day or two. However, the symptoms can be more severe in the vulnerable, children, the elderly or those who are already ill.
Between 1992 and 2007, 13 outbreaks of food-borne disease were reported in England and Wales associated with kebabs and products served from take-aways. There were 739 cases linked to these outbreaks, with 13per cent - 94 - hospitalised.

The findings are a further blow to Britain's kebab shop owners, who may feel they are being persecuted.
Another recent study labelled kebabs public health enemy number one because of the high levels of fat they contain.
One of the biggest and greasiest could provide enough calories - almost 2,000 - to account for the entire daily limit recommended for a woman.
Also, a number of kebabs do not include the meat claimed. Some sold as Halal and so suitable for Muslims were even found to contain pork, which is banned by the faith.
The latest research was the result of a joint exercise between the Health Protection Agency(HPA) and LACORS, which coodinates the activities of local council environmental health departments.

Anyone fancy a kebab :D?

Aemma
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! :eek:

I almost tossed my cookies reading this! ACK! :( :D

Erm, thank you for the article Foxie?? :p :D

Cheers Foxie!...Aemma

Skandi
03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Between 1992 and 2007, 13 outbreaks of food-borne disease were reported in England and Wales associated with kebabs and products served from take-aways. There were 739 cases linked to these outbreaks, with 13per cent - 94 - hospitalised.

So 94 cases in 15 years? I think I'll take my chances there

Taheen
03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
I love meat, but I don't eat kebabs. I don't want to buy from Turks, Muslims etc. Food or anything else.

Agreed. I did buy it for a while, a few years, but at some point I found it simply hypocritical and more significant then I realised before. To make the picture very abstract, Islamic immigration is nothing less then the invasion it is, I simply can't contribute to those people nor to the event.

I don't buy anymore, I tend to ignore them while walking on the street, and I even got to motivate myself to the point of standing up and taking a different seat on the train when a Arab woman comes to sit near me.

Not contributing and displaying them to be absolutely unwelcome is the least I can do.

chap
03-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I love kebabs, had two this week, I always get the biggest size. Occasionally I try to make my own doner meat to create healthy kebabs.

HawkR
03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Kebab's good, but I don't eat them to often, there's plenty of other food out there that's better;)

Atlas
03-14-2009, 12:21 AM
LOL. There are posts, and an actual debate about kebabs in this forum! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ha ha ha h ah ah ah ah ah ahahhahhahahhahahaha!

Alright. I'm done. Carry on. :D :clap:

In my opinion there is no debate on kebabs here, you either like it or you do not.

Treffie
09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes. I'm preparing my evening meal which will consist of lamb chop, lettuce, onion humous and mushroom rice and I'm gonna stuff them all into some pitta bread. :thumb001:

Damião de Góis
09-29-2011, 10:30 PM
I've only tried it twice, in the Netherlands and in Algarve. The one in the Netherlands didn't impress me but the one in Algarve was really good. So now i'm not sure if i was unlucky in the Netherlands or lucky in Algarve..

Incal
09-30-2011, 05:45 AM
Love kebab. The only good thing turks have ever done (if they didn't steal it from somebody else, that is).

StonyArabia
10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I love it, but if you really want good kebabs, you should go to Iraqi places because they know how to make the best of it. One of the best dishes no doubt about that.

Aces High
10-01-2011, 07:12 PM
No because i associate everything that comes out of the middle east with filth..........based on the fact that i have travelled widely in the middle east and it is a shithole.

hajduk
10-01-2011, 07:52 PM
No. All Kebab shops are owned by turks or arabs.
I watched a reportage on tv and there was reported, that kebabmakers add their sperm to the sauce.
Disgusting animals

Aces High
10-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I watched a reportage on tv and there was reported, that kebabmakers add their sperm to the sauce.
Disgusting animals

Theres a few Apricity memebrs running down to the nearest kebab shop right this second after you have just posted that morsel......the fuckers will be slurping down the grease off the wrappers like it was a milkshake.:eek:

Germanicus
10-01-2011, 08:12 PM
There is a fish and chip shop near me that gives me a choice..keebab with all the trimmings, or keebab meat, chips and a huge dose of chilli sauce...Yes i actually like keebabs, but i have control of them, usually i tend to eat 1-2 a year, keebab meat and chips 10-15 times a year.

My chip shop is owned and run by a white Brit, so i can say with confidence that the chilli sauce is sperm free. :)

morski
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I basically avoid those:http://amtv.bg/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/AM-doner.jpg

but these:
http://www.picvalley.net/u/2508/117566223417883196631247812781mZ8GKQYsYfqr5vjkMcvV .JPG (http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2508/117566223417883196631247812781mZ8GKQYsYfqr5vjkMcvV .JPG)
http://razkritia.com/wp-content/uploads/bylgarski_kebapi.jpg
are my staple diet :D

_______
10-02-2011, 04:53 AM
no. i have never tried one and i never will. i quite like falafel, tho.

MST3K
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I rarely eat them, but after the pub closes it's right next door. Too close to pass up. I don't like the Yufka version only the flat bread type.

Damião de Góis
10-02-2011, 06:03 PM
By the way, i was not aware that there were people who refused to eat it because it's "from the Middle East". Does this apply with other foreign food like sushi for example?

Sturmgewehr
10-02-2011, 06:14 PM
yes.....

Absinthe
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I like souvlaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souvlaki). Does it count? :p

Äike
10-06-2011, 06:53 PM
What's a kebab? I have never eaten it. :p

Mordid
10-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I prefer to make them from home on the george foreman with grilled veggies! Definitely alot more healthier and tastes better!

billErobreren
10-06-2011, 07:20 PM
*gag*shit no!!

The Ripper
10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
There's an excellent Kebab place where I live, been there for near two decades and owned and manned by Finns. Beats all those ähläm-sähläm places. :D