PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss and your maternal side: which applies to you?

Sikeliot
06-22-2017, 01:08 AM
My grandfather lost his hair.
My grandmother's relatives all died with thick heads of hair, thanks to our Cape Verdean genes.

Therefore my chance is 50%, but most hair loss begins between 18 and 25 and I have a full head of hair, with no receding hairline at all.

DarkSecret
06-22-2017, 01:11 AM
My grandfather lost his hair.
My grandmother's relatives all died with thick heads of hair, thanks to our Cape Verdean genes.

Therefore my chance is 50%, but most hair loss begins between 18 and 25 and I have a full head of hair, with no receding hairline at all.

You should look at your maternal side uncles. I am lucky on this matter :) My grandfather didn't lost his hair either they just went white.

Kriptc06
06-22-2017, 01:11 AM
mine is the opposite, my grandad Mr. V13, did not lose his hair.

but my granddad on mother side is balding, not completely, hes 70 something.

Sikeliot
06-22-2017, 01:12 AM
You should look at your maternal side uncles. I am lucky on this matter :) My grandfather didn't lost his hair either they just went white.

I have no maternal uncles.

Rather, all of the men on my Polish side have lost hair, none of the men on my Portuguese/Cape Verdean side did.

So this leaves me with 50/50 chance and so far, nothing.

Sikeliot
06-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Apparently though they now say it is a myth it is from the mother's side, only that your mother's side can give you some risk factors. Your hair loss is dependent on a complex combination of genes from both parents.

Newsboy
06-22-2017, 02:19 AM
Both of my maternal grandparents had or have a full head of hear with minimal baldness. One of my maternal uncles is 61 and nearly completely bald (Norwood 6). Has been this way since he was at least 40.

I'm 23 and just started losing hair 1.5 years ago. But it's not male pattern baldness. No receding hairline or thinning of the crown. Just the top of my head is thin. It's probably due to Vitamin deficiency.

Since May, I'm taking Rogaine and vitamin supplements. Not seeing any improvements yet.

DarkSecret
06-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Both of my maternal grandparents had or have a full head of hear with minimal baldness. One of my maternal uncles is 61 and nearly completely bald (Norwood 6). Has been this way since he was at least 40.

I'm 23 and just started losing hair 1.5 years ago. But it's not male pattern baldness. No receding hairline or thinning of the crown. Just the top of my head is thin. It's probably due to Vitamin deficiency.

Since May, I'm taking Rogaine and vitamin supplements. Not seeing any improvements yet.

Use garlic on the area.

Newsboy
06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Use garlic on the area.

Thanks for the advice. I shall try it out sometime.

Hadouken
06-22-2017, 03:05 PM
I had very similar hair to you a few years ago sikeliot :D

kingjohn
06-22-2017, 03:06 PM
the solution is hairtransplant
i know it is expensive but it is the best

Sikeliot
06-23-2017, 05:09 AM
This is what 23andme says. The likelihood of hair loss before 40. Only 19% for me, versus 65% (!!) for the average white man.

If I truly inherited all my hair genes from my maternal grandmother I'll be set for life. Europeans have more harmful/undesirable genetic mutations and the African hair genes are strong (this is the LAST trait to disappear as the generations get whiter and whiter). Mine is just straight.

http://i.imgur.com/5DQ7m6s.png

Nehellenia
06-23-2017, 05:18 AM
My dad was a bald as a bat and my maternal grandpa is balding too but wasn't until his early 60s.
I probably carry male pattern hairloss genes xD sorry any sons.

Smitty
06-23-2017, 11:11 PM
My dad was a bald as a bat and my maternal grandpa is balding too but wasn't until his early 60s.
I probably carry male pattern hairloss genes xD sorry any sons.

Hey, you wouldn't be the first woman to bald. :)

Rędwald
06-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Most of the men on my father's side go bald into their 30s, on my mothers side not at all. My father did not begin balding until well into his 50s

That being said I'm already beginning to see grey hairs at 25, although my paternal Grandfather was grey at 24. So I'm not sure.

Deniz
06-27-2017, 12:52 PM
the solution is hairtransplant
i know it is expensive but it is the best

Or Use Proscar Finasteride.Not an advice but effective.

Peterski
07-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Apparently though they now say it is a myth it is from the mother's side, only that your mother's side can give you some risk factors. Your hair loss is dependent on a complex combination of genes from both parents.

Who says so? :confused:

Most of genes responsible for balding or not are on the X chromosome, and you inherit X chromosome from your mother (AFAIK). So yes, it is mostly from the mother's side. It is not a myth.

Vyasa
07-01-2017, 10:28 PM
I already have a mature hairline. If my hairline moves any further, I'm gonna jump on finasteride. Cannot afford to go bald.

Bobby Martnen
11-28-2017, 07:37 AM
My paternal grandfather went bald, my maternal grandfather has only minor baldness starting in his 70s.

My hairline may be slightly receding, but it's really hard to tell, and I don't know any good dermatologists to check.