PDA

View Full Version : Is Joseph a strictly jewish name? (Not surname)

Wilhelm O.
06-25-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm researching my family tree and quite a big part of it is German. I found family members all the way back to 1820s so far, but what worries me one of them (without an exact date of birth, which is even more worrisome) is of name Joseph. He lived in the first part of the 19th century. Is it possible that he was a full-fledged German with a biblical name, or is he most likely a jew? He would be mine great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent.

EDIT: What I forgot to mention is that his direct descendant fought in WW2 in the 17th Pazern-Division and achieved a rank of Stabswachtmeister in the military and also was awarded a German Cross. Would he have to be ethnically checked by the Nazi party to recieve that award?

Bruchus
06-25-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't think so.

Jana
06-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Joseph is a Christian name in Europe. In Germany mostly used by Catholics.

Wilhelm O.
06-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks! I really appreciate your help, I had a mini heart attack when I first saw the name :)

Myanthropologies
06-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Not at all, that's what my cousin's name is. I know many anglos with that name too.

Benacer
06-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Joseph is the husband of Mary, this name is very common in a lot of Christian cultures. Either way, I don't get the issue, it's not like the Nuremberg Laws are a thing nowadays.

Seya
06-25-2017, 08:03 PM
all Christians use that name and there are versions in all languages.

Sacrificed Ram
06-25-2017, 08:16 PM
There's also Yusuf.

Ziveth
06-26-2017, 03:33 PM
I'm researching my family tree and quite a big part of it is German. I found family members all the way back to 1820s so far, but what worries me one of them (without an exact date of birth, which is even more worrisome) is of name Joseph. He lived in the first part of the 19th century. Is it possible that he was a full-fledged German with a biblical name, or is he most likely a jew? He would be mine great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent.

EDIT: What I forgot to mention is that his direct descendant fought in WW2 in the 17th Pazern-Division and achieved a rank of Stabswachtmeister in the military and also was awarded a German Cross. Would he have to be ethnically checked by the Nazi party to recieve that award?

No, i don't think Joseph it's strictly a jewish name. In Bavaria many German men have this name (Josef in German language). Also some nazis had the name Josef (for example Josef Mengele) and they were, of course, not jewish.
Maybe just the origin of the name which is jewish but not only jewish people use it.

Ziveth
06-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Joseph is a Christian name in Europe. In Germany mostly used by Catholics.

I agree. Also in Italy (a catholic country indeed) is used, in Italian language it's Giuseppe.

Mädel Edelweiß
08-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Joseph is certainly not a strictly Jewish name. Very many of the men in my family are named Joseph or Josef (german) and we're catholic.