PDA

View Full Version : Can being too clean make you sick?

The Lawspeaker
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Can being too clean make you sick?
Overexposure to antibacterial soaps linked to allergies

An antibacterial chemical used in many soaps, toothpastes and other cleaning products has been linked to an increased risk of allergies in young people.

A similar link has also been found with a chemical used in the production of many plastics, including some used to line food cans.

Both chemicals, triclosan and Bisphenol A (BPA) are types of environmental toxins called endocrine-disrupting compounds (EDCs), which are believed to negatively impact human health by mimicking or affecting hormones.
The study, by scientists from the University of Michigan School of Public Health, compared levels of both chemicals in the body with levels of antibodies linked to allergies, and also reported cases of hay fever and other allergies.

This showed that people over 18 with higher levels of exposure to BPA had higher levels of the antibodies. Additionally, people age 18 and under with higher levels of triclosan were more likely to report diagnosis of allergies and hay fever.

Commenting on the findings, Professor Allison Aiello said: "The triclosan findings in the younger age groups may support the 'hygiene hypothesis,' which maintains living in very clean and hygienic environments may impact our exposure to micro-organisms that are beneficial for development of the immune system."

As triclosan is used so widely as an antibacterial agent in homes, it may be affecting the nature of the micro-organisms that we are exposed to in childhood. In effect, "it is possible that a person can be too clean for their own good," Dr Aiello said.

One note of caution is that the significance of the findings may be linked to the fact that people with allergies are more likely to live in cleaner households. Scientists say that more work needs to be done to separate out these factors before a full picture can emerge.

The study is published in the online journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

Source: Virgin Media (http://health.virginmedia.com/overexposure-to-antibacterial-soaps-linked-to-allergies.htm) (29th of November 2010)

Grumpy Cat
11-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Stand-up comedians have been saying this for years.

Babies eat dirt, it's an instinct we all have, to introduce pathogens into our bodies while our immune systems are developing so that it knows how to react.

Don't introduce enough pathogens, the immune system will find something to react to, like peanuts.

Not to mention, all humans have bacteria on and in their bodies, and not enough of it can make you sick (for example, antibiotic-induced colitis and yeast infections).

kdm1984
11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Overwashing is usually gross anyway - who wants extremely dry skin?

Wash after vigorous exercise, which is twice a week for me. You don't have to wash daily unless you are sweating heavily every day in your job (construction, etc.). The only thing most people have to use daily is deodorant, and daily hand-washing with generic soap. Everything else is dependent upon your activities.

The Ripper
11-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Well, I'm not exactly the poster child of cleanliness and strict hygiene, and I haven't been ill for many years now. :p

Brynhild
11-30-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm exposed to all sorts of germs as a cleaner and I never get sick, apart from the odd sniffle. I wash every day because I sweat profusely, and I don't use deodorant, except for when I go out (you actually shouldn't, because it deters what your body does naturally, and that is sweat). My kids were taught to wash their hands after going to the toilet, have a daily wash and brush their teeth - standard routines. They played in dirt and were exposed to every possible living organism when little, to develop their immunity, especially when they interacted with other kids at school. I believe that a sterile environment actually causes more sickness, because there is no chance of exposure to those necessary germs for building immunity.

Svanhild
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I shower every two days by virtue of the fact that my skin becomes too dry if I'd shower on a daily basis. Most people I know shower either daily or on a two days basis.

Bloodeagle
12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I believe that chlorinated city water also has the ability to weaken the immune system.

I use to catch a cold at least 3 times a year. Since I quit drinking Chlorinated water, I have not been sick with a cold for two years.

Albion
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Stand-up comedians have been saying this for years.

Babies eat dirt, it's an instinct we all have, to introduce pathogens into our bodies while our immune systems are developing so that it knows how to react.

Don't introduce enough pathogens, the immune system will find something to react to, like peanuts.

Not to mention, all humans have bacteria on and in their bodies, and not enough of it can make you sick (for example, antibiotic-induced colitis and yeast infections).

Keeping too clean can inhibit the build up of natural immunity leaving people more vulnerable to diseases and infections.