PDA

View Full Version : The early Christians and their persecution.

Imperivm
12-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I have started to study the Roman Empire for the first time and one of the topics I am looking at currently that I am finding very interesting is the persecution of the early Christians at the hands of the Romans and Jews. So, I thought I would start a thread here so that it can help my understanding and possibly some others on the forum.
The Romans viewed Christianity as a superstition in the same way other non Roman-Pagan religions were viewed, but this changed in the aftermath of The Great Fire of Rome in 64 when Emperor Nero accused the Christians of starting the fire. In the aftermath Christians were rounded up and crucified, burned or expelled . From this point on the Christians were treated as a separate group and were persecuted by their Roman masters, Nero called it "a new and noxious superstition".
Before the Great Fire of Rome the Christians were viewed by the Romans as being part of Judaism, and the Jews being recognised as a Religion distanced themselves from the Christians. The Jews enjoyed a certain amount of privileges and protection within the Roman Empire so they wished to maintain this by rejecting and even themselves persecuting the Christians. The Christian persecution carried on until the early 4th century when it was recognised as a legitimate Religion.

At this stage I would say my knowledge is pretty weak so I thought I would give this my brief explanation. Please if you think you have much to add (or to correct me :embarrassed) then go for it! :D