PDA

View Full Version : Is Scandinavian R1a the same as Slavic R1a?

OldBronzeBell
07-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Hi,

Lately I've become interested in the different haplogroups of the world, but I've become confused when it comes to "subclades" of different haplogroups.

For example, I was about haplogroup R1a on Eupedia, and according to the page there different types of R1a: two of them being a Germanic branch and one being a Slavic branch. For example, in places like Poland or Russia, R1a appears to be the dominant haplogroup within these populations. Furthermore, in certain Nordic countries, particularly Iceland and Norway, R1a is appears in notable amounts. What I'm curious to know is: Eupedia lists the two different branches that appear in these two populations as being different subclades - and I'm not entirely sure what that means. Does it mean they share a common ancestor clade that eventually diverged over the years, or is the R1a found in parts of Russia evidence of the Varagrian settlers in Kievan Rus centuries ago?

Sorry if this is a confusing question, just hoping to learn as much as I can about anthropology and genetics so I can fit in better. :D

Thanks!

Rethel
07-20-2017, 02:16 PM
All R1 are the same.