PDA

View Full Version : Russia 2018, QATAR 2022

Eldritch
12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
FIFA Announcement: Russia to Host 2018 World Cup; Qatar to Host in 2022

The results of the FIFA World Cup bids have been announced. Russia will host the World Cup in 2018 and Qatar will host in 2022.

Russia beat odds-on favorite England as well as potential co-hosts Netherlands-Belgium and Portugal-Spain, while Qatar upset the USA, Japan, Australia, and South Korea[/B] to secure the World Cup.

Selecting Russia over England meant believing that Russia can overcome major obstacles, such as lack of infrastructure, institutionalized government corruption and a sheer lack of stadiums, in order to host a sporting event that dwarfs the Olympic Games.

While England's bid was primarily emotional, focusing on the transformational power of soccer, Russia's bid was more about the economic power of soccer, and how it could boost Russia's economy closer to those of its neighbors. Russia pulled off its bid without the presence of PM Vladimir Putin, who pulled out after saying that the FIFA bids were "an unfair competition". Will he retract that statement now?

Qatar's bid was even more bizarre, hinged on technology that does not yet exist to cool stadiums not yet built (temperatures reach 50C/122F), in a nation where alcohol is illegal nearly everywhere.

Unanswered is the question of what Qatar will do if Israel somehow qualifies for the 2022 World Cup. Not that Israel is an international soccer powerhouse, but between now and 022, who knows? Qatar does not recognize Israel as a country. However, one thing that Qatar does have is money. Lots and lots of money, courtesy of the Qatari royal family, and ultimately FIFA could not say no. Hosting the World Cup in the Middle East for the first time was most likely secondary.

Link. (http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/world-cup-bid-results-russia-2018-qatar-2022-2733981.html)

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Good. Then we don't have to cough up any more money to keep the FIFA happy. :thumb001:

Beorn
12-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Well, in all fairness. It does come in 3s. We've had one shit hole in Africa, so one shit hole which is Russia and one in the Middle East is only fair.

To think we could be raiding Spain/Portugal and raping thier womenfolk and drinking their beer. All we have to look forward to is Olga and her fat fucking Slav face and some Paki looking twat from a country we all think sounds like a coughing disease.

Another great choice from FIFA. Germany leading the fucking way once again. Pockets wide open.

Fucking tarts.

WHY DIDN'T YOU CHOOSE SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Russia has changed a bit though - and it also depends on were they will be playing.
When it comes to Katar: I think we'll have a fucking laugh about that choice !

FIFA= corrupt, incompetent morons and maybe not even worth making a fuzz about.

Treffie
12-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Sepp Blatter is as bad as the members who took bribes. He knew back in June that many of FIFA's members had paid back millions in back handers, yet he didn't launch an investigation into it. FIFA's a joke.

Wyn
12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Qatar's bid was even more bizarre, hinged on technology that does not yet exist to cool stadiums not yet built (temperatures reach 50C/122F), in a nation where alcohol is illegal nearly everywhere.

I can see the ticket websites crashing from the heavy traffic now.

The English'll be giving this one a boycott. We go somewhere to drink or we don't go.

Eldritch
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Russia has changed a bit though - and it also depends on were they will be playing.

In Russia you don't know who to be more wary of: local criminals, or the police. And as soon as the Russian team gets knocked out of the tournament, it's open season on any foreign tourists.

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
My advise to my fellow countrymen (and to any of my fellow Europeans) is simple: don't go.
Don't attend both "parties".

Graham
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Join us , we've been boycotting the tournaments since 1998.

Spain/ portugal , Australia. How could you reject these places. Fifa you fucking cunts!!!

Falkata
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I´d like to know why Russia was a better choice than Spain&Portugal or England?

Better infrastructure? --> No
Comunications? Roads? Trains? Airports? --> No
Hotels--> No
Weather--> No
Location--> No
Richness (GDP per capita)--> No
Security (%criminality)--> No
Football Stadiums (number of them and quality)--->No
Football Tradition/Passion --> No
Stronger football league/national team --> No

So I really would like to know the reasons why Russia was chosen, seriously :confused: I´m totally clueless

Well I think I know the answer

http://www.cisoilgas.com/media/media-news/news-thumb/091110/Gazprom.png
http://www.russiablog.org/LukoilLogo.jpg

Loki
12-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm happy for Russia. This will also give them the opportunity to upgrade old infrastructure.

Eldritch
12-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Better infrastructure? --> No
Comunications? Roads? Trains? Airports? --> No
Hotels--> No
Weather--> YES
Location--> No
Richness (GDP per capita)--> No
Security (%criminality)--> No
Football Stadiums (number of them and quality)--->No
Football Tradition/Passion --> YES
Stronger football league/national team --> No

;)

Falkata
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
;)

I was talking in comparison with England or Spain&Portugal

England is the country of football since always and in Iberia the football is also a passion, much more than in Russia by far.
And hell, the russian weather sucks :p

Eldritch
12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I was talking in comparison with England or Spain&Portugal

I know, but Russians are very passionate about football. That's probably the one front they don't lose out to Spain on. Russian football leagues, as well as the fan culture, are very strong.

Loddfafner
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Isn't Qatar the place where groups like the World Trade Organization meet so as to evade anarchist rioters? I figure that the World Cup is planning a break from the hooligans, which they will need after Russia.

Eldritch
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Isn't Qatar the place where groups like the World Trade Organization meet so as to evade anarchist rioters? I figure that the World Cup is planning a break from the hooligans, which they will need after Russia.

No alcohol on sale everywhere? Presumably, the Qatari authorities won't take kindly to striptease/blowjobs contests on public squares? I think ther hoolies will skip this one.

Loki
12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
No alcohol on sale everywhere?

That's going to be an interesting one ... I can't imagine European football fans without alcohol. It's unthinkable. And at the same time, an Arab Muslim state dishing out tons of alcohol to tourists?! Sacrilege! :D

Falkata
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I know, but Russians are very passionate about football. That's probably the one front they don't lose out to Spain on. Russian football leagues, as well as the fan culture, are very strong.

Just a few powerful teams have many fans (the ones from St Petesbourg and Moscow mainly) What about the others 14-15 teams of the league? Even the olympic stadium in Moscow Luzhniki is always almost empty..
You can find full stadiums in many cities around here, not just in Madrid and Barcelona. Try Valencia, Sevilla, Bilbao,Zaragoza....

British and Proud
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I think it's great, and I hope the Russians make a success of it. They have never hosted a World Cup previously despite qualifying for plenty and being the largest territory in the world.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm very fond of Russia, and quite frankly I have been ashamed by the way the English media have reacted! The accusations of corruption smack of hypocrisy given the fact that our own politicians have fleeced us for years...not to mention the treachery.

Guapo
12-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Should've been Russia&Estonia 2018.

Wyn
12-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Or Estonia/Lithuania/Latvia. All the Baltic countries.

Phil75231
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Qatar's just too damned hot ...unless they plan to build half a dozen domed stadiums. Anybody care to cheer on their favorite teams when it's 45C outside?

Treffie
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Haha! Good on yer Boris! :p

Mayor of London Boris Johnson cancels Fifa hotel stay (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11921692)

Äike
12-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Or Estonia/Lithuania/Latvia. All the Baltic countries.

Geographically, both options are unrealistic, culturally too. The Balts are less corrupt than Russians and Eastern-Europeans, but they still have a considerable amount of corruption.

A few months ago there was also a big headline in the Estonian media: "Hotel built in Riga, without bribing anyone." At least that's what the Estonian businessmen said.

Let's hope that this is true and the corruption in Latvia has decreased.

Loki
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
The Balts are less corrupt than Russians and Eastern-Europeans,

That's like saying the French are less corrupt than the Western Europeans.

Äike
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Well, the Balts live in Northern-Europe. If you think that they're Eastern-Europeans, then I really do not give a damn. In my opinion, they're rather Central-European influenced by culture, especially Lithuanians with their Catholic faith.

Although, Lithuanians being responsible for most of the car thefts in Estonia, definitely gives them an Eastern-European vibe. :P

Guapo
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Lol everyone's corrupt equally.

SaxonCeorl
12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
They should play the World Cup in the Azores.

Svarog
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, in all fairness. It does come in 3s. We've had one shit hole in Africa, so one shit hole which is Russia and one in the Middle East is only fair.

To think we could be raiding Spain/Portugal and raping thier womenfolk and drinking their beer. All we have to look forward to is Olga and her fat fucking Slav face and some Paki looking twat from a country we all think sounds like a coughing disease.

Another great choice from FIFA. Germany leading the fucking way once again. Pockets wide open.

Fucking tarts.

WHY DIDN'T YOU CHOOSE SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!

Finding hilarious that Englishmen talking about ugly girls, your girls are prolly the ugliest minions in Europe :confused:

Atlas
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Yes :)

Anyway it's a good thing for Russia and I am very glad for them.
Qatar is a joke, most Worldwide foot-fans love the WC for flying to an abroad country, drink and fuck around. They won't have enough of Kebabs and veil women to satisfy them in this raghead shithole.

Comte Arnau
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I´d like to know why Russia was a better choice than Spain&Portugal or England?

Spain was the only option which could host a World Cup next week, if needed. That was precisely the reason why it was bound to fail.

Gaztelu
04-24-2011, 12:13 AM

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad97/Topasiyo/hatersgonnahate3.png

Beorn
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Finding hilarious that Englishmen talking about ugly girls, your girls are prolly the ugliest minions in Europe :confused:

'Prolly' ???

That be nigger talk.

I knew Russian women were ugly because of Mongol intrusion (ooh er matron), but really? Niggers got day far, y'all?

I don't hate. I love. Especially women from other nations. :thumb001:

GeistFaust
05-02-2011, 06:28 AM
FIFA Announcement: Russia to Host 2018 World Cup; Qatar to Host in 2022

The results of the FIFA World Cup bids have been announced. Russia will host the World Cup in 2018 and Qatar will host in 2022.

Russia beat odds-on favorite England as well as potential co-hosts Netherlands-Belgium and Portugal-Spain, while Qatar upset the USA, Japan, Australia, and South Korea[/B] to secure the World Cup.

Selecting Russia over England meant believing that Russia can overcome major obstacles, such as lack of infrastructure, institutionalized government corruption and a sheer lack of stadiums, in order to host a sporting event that dwarfs the Olympic Games.

While England's bid was primarily emotional, focusing on the transformational power of soccer, Russia's bid was more about the economic power of soccer, and how it could boost Russia's economy closer to those of its neighbors. Russia pulled off its bid without the presence of PM Vladimir Putin, who pulled out after saying that the FIFA bids were "an unfair competition". Will he retract that statement now?

Unanswered is the question of what Qatar will do if Israel somehow qualifies for the 2022 World Cup. Not that Israel is an international soccer powerhouse, but between now and 022, who knows? Qatar does not recognize Israel as a country. However, one thing that Qatar does have is money. Lots and lots of money, courtesy of the Qatari royal family, and ultimately FIFA could not say no. Hosting the World Cup in the Middle East for the first time was most likely secondary.

Link. (http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/world-cup-bid-results-russia-2018-qatar-2022-2733981.html)

That would be interesting when they have the world cup in Qatar because it will probably be one of the least festive of all time if there is no alcohol allowed.

W. R.
05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
I suspect bribery.

But let's see how Russia will manage the winter Olympic Games. Maybe they deserve a chance?

Saruman
05-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Congrats to Russia ,2 great events in the coming years!!:thumb001::cool: