PDA

View Full Version : German Parliament passes winter tire law

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 05:34 AM
German Parliament passes winter tire law

BERLIN (Nov. 29, 2010) — Germany’s Parliament has adopted an amendment to the German Road Traffic Regulations that requires cars and vans be fitted with winter tires under specified circumstances such as “ice, packed snow, slush, black ice or frost.”

Previously the law required only that vehicles were fitted with tires suitable for the conditions, which was sufficiently vague to be almost meaningless.

There is no mandatory period across the country as weather conditions vary widely in different regions. Also, a parked vehicle is not subject to the new ruling. Trucks in the country need winter tires on the drive axle, though other axles may carry regular tires. Agricultural and forestry vehicles are exempt.

The penalties for breaking the law are doubled to euro 40 from euro 20.

A DEKRA insurance survey showed 93 percent of 1,700 motorists who were asked were in favor of the new rule. (DEKRA is a German organization that works with vehicle inspections, expert appraisals, international claims management, consulting, industrial testing, product testing, certification and environmental protection.)

Even though more than 80 percent of car owners in Germany already regularly change the tires on their vehicles as the cold weather approaches, an additional surge in demand can be expected in the coming weeks. The new regulation is expected to come into force before Christmas.

As a result, online tire retailer Delticom has revised upwards its revenue and earnings targets.

“Winter weather conditions not only in Germany but also elsewhere in Europe have boosted sales volume over the past few days,” Delticom said. “In addition, Delticom has been able to benefit from short dated supplementary delivery promises which helped the availability of winter tires in the companies’ online shops.”

Against the background of a market-wide scarcity of winter tires, Delticom said it now anticipates 2010 revenue growth of more than 20 percent year-on-year—previously it expected at least 15 percent—at an EBIT (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) margin of around 10 percent.

Source: Tire Business (http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscriber/headlines2.phtml?cat=1&headline=German+Parliament+passes+winter+tire+law&id=1291042440) (29 november 2010)

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 05:35 AM
While in principle I can agree with the law, I wonder why the Bundestag has passed this law rather then delegating it to the Länder as Germany is a federal republic ?

SwordoftheVistula
12-04-2010, 06:25 AM
That's stupid. What's wrong with all-weather tires? Most tires here are all-weather tires, at least outside the southern part where it doesn't snow

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes.. well. Perhaps things are slightly different out in the colonies.
It's Germany, mate, Europe..

SwordoftheVistula
12-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes.. well. Perhaps things are slightly different out in the colonies.
It's Germany, mate, Europe..

Well yes, but there are ports to receive ships from China there as well as here, correct?

Bloodeagle
12-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I use all weather tires year round on my 4 wheel drive pickup but I use studded snow tires for my front wheel drive car.

It seems the law would help save property damage and lives.

SwordoftheVistula
12-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe in an area like Alaska or Siberia where there is packed snow for days at a time on the roads, but as far as I know, Germany doesn't even get that much snow. I don't know, maybe they don't plow the roads over there, but still-frost and slush? That's just ridiculous. Unless they have an epidemic of winter road accidents caused by faulty tires, this law just seems to be an unnecessary pain in the ass, not to mention the expense of buying the new tires and paying a business to install them every fall & spring.

Äike
12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Maybe in an area like Alaska or Siberia where there is packed snow for days at a time on the roads, but as far as I know, Germany doesn't even get that much snow. I don't know, maybe they don't plow the roads over there, but still-frost and slush? That's just ridiculous. Unless they have an epidemic of winter road accidents caused by faulty tires, this law just seems to be an unnecessary pain in the ass, not to mention the expense of buying the new tires and paying a business to install them every fall & spring.

I'm certain that Northern-Germany receives at least some snow/frost during the winter, which requires winter tires.

In the north, Estonia, winter tires are obligatory since 1. December, but most people change their tries already in early October. No one grumbles, because winter tires are necessary, considering our climate. Here, no sane person would drive without winter tires in the winter.

Tony
12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Something very similar has just been passed here , it seems politicians start seriously to believe in the (false) broken window theory to push the economy up.

SwordoftheVistula
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I found some definitive information from the California Highway Patrol website:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Most vehicles come equipped with snow tires. Look for M+S (mud and snow), All Season, or All Terrain, on the side of the tire.

So, I guess the new question is, what sort of tires are these northern European countries driving on during the summer, which aren't equipped for winter weather?

Eldritch
12-05-2010, 01:05 PM

All-weather mud+snow tires are a poor compromise, as they are kinda, sorta okay for both winter and summer, but not particularly good for either. But they are allowed here in this country (and I imagine we get more snow than Germany), although most people have two sets of tires: studded winter tires, and regular "summer" ones.

And oh, most people here change them themselves rather than go to a garage.

Tyrrhenoi
12-05-2010, 01:32 PM
All-weather mud+snow tires are a poor compromise, as they are kinda, sorta okay for both winter and summer, but not particularly good for either.

All-Weather tires are not a BAD compromise between normal tyres and winter tyres - under the 6 degrees C - a normal tire becomes less flexible and elastic - this is one of the causes of bad grip on the road -

If your all-weather tires have this sign on them (see below) - then you'r OK - they are then suitable for winter conditions . -

All-Weather tires have an normal performance on summer conditions and a average/normal performance on winter condition - they are still much better than summer tires in the winter -

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:tIjF_RASlPX0kM:http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/raminator/winterbanden2.jpg&t=1

I suggest Vredestein Quatracs 3 - they are one of the best all-weather tires available - according to the German ADAC/Auto Motor und Sport -These all weather tires are still better than some full-winter tires !

http://www.auto-motor-i-sport.pl/magazyn/Zabezpieczanie-sladow-test-opon-zimowych-872-8.html#gallHead

Bloodeagle
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
All-weather mud+snow tires are a poor compromise, as they are kinda, sorta okay for both winter and summer, but not particularly good for either. But they are allowed here in this country (and I imagine we get more snow than Germany), although most people have two sets of tires: studded winter tires, and regular "summer" ones.

And oh, most people here change them themselves rather than go to a carage.

IMHO and those of many dwellers in the north, the Finnish tire maker Nokian makes the best winter tires. :thumb001: :D
I even have studded Nokian tires on my mountain bike.

People who use all weather/ all season snow tires usually end up in the ditch, exhilarating, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EULywUUAyRA) when winter conditions are at their worse- unless they stop and chain up! This would never apply in Germany with their mountain highways. :p
Studded snow tires, if allowed, make the difference between night and day on icy roads. Of course this payoff brings higher road surface wear, because of this, they are outlawed in many places.

SwordoftheVistula
12-06-2010, 07:47 AM
And oh, most people here change them themselves rather than go to a garage.

What tools do you use to get them on & off the rims properly? Also, you'd still have to buy the tires, which would be a high expense for low income people.

People who use all weather/ all season snow tires usually end up in the ditch, exhilarating, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EULywUUAyRA) when winter conditions are at their worse- unless they stop and chain up! This would never apply in Germany with their mountain highways. :p
Studded snow tires, if allowed, make the difference between night and day on icy roads. Of course this payoff brings higher road surface wear, because of this, they are outlawed in many places.

Looking around on other links, these special snow tires appear to be only used in some of the states which border Canada (especially in mountainous areas). 90% or so of snow tires are sold in Europe, and over twice as many are sold in Canada as in the US. Alaska is apparently different, but in most of the country we just expect the state/local government to plow the roads, and rely on proper driving skills.

I had a friend in Washington state get a ticket once for 'snow tires out of season' because the cops heard her tires sounding different, must have been these studded tires...I had wondered 'what are winter tires, and how did the cops hear them?'

Bloodeagle
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
What tools do you use to get them on & off the rims properly? Also, you'd still have to buy the tires, which would be a high expense for low income people.
I am not sure about the Finnish DIY capacity to change a tire but we usually have our snow tires mounted on cheap rims, nothing fancy is needed in the winter months when sand and road salt eat nice things. The initial investment is higher but will pay for itself in about two years, eliminating the need to have a tire shop take off and put on the tires, each season, reduces wear and tear on the rims and the rubber.
Life in the North is not cheap but this has an added benefit of keeping some of the riff raff out, those who are unprepared usually go home. :D

I had a friend in Washington state get a ticket once for 'snow tires out of season' because the cops heard her tires sounding different, must have been these studded tires...I had wondered 'what are winter tires, and how did the cops hear them?'
Yes, studded tires are loud enough to hear, especially on dry pavement, which will wear them down to nothing in no time.

In my location, the law states that studded tires can be put on starting October 1st and removed by May 1st. The fine is about $100 for each studded tire left on the vehicle after May 1st. Every time that I have tried to leave them on during the summer, I have gotten a ticket. :embarrassed

Svanhild
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
That's stupid. What's wrong with all-weather tires?
All-weather tires are included in the new winter tire law. Either winter tires or all-weather tires are now permitted in winter.

I'm certain that Northern-Germany receives at least some snow/frost during the winter, which requires winter tires.

As a matter of fact, Northern Germany receives less snow than Southern Germany. The North- and Baltic sea keep your Northern German climate more warm and oceanic. Southern Germany has a continental climate, colder in winter/warmer in summer, a higher altitude and more hills and mountains. When Hamburg has 5 cm snow, Southern Germany has 50 cm. :wink

While in principle I can agree with the law, I wonder why the Bundestag has passed this law rather then delegating it to the Länder as Germany is a federal republic ?
Road traffic laws are federal law like the regulations on the Autobahnen.

Eldritch
12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I am not sure about the Finnish DIY capacity to change a tire but we usually have our snow tires mounted on cheap rims, nothing fancy is needed in the winter months when sand and road salt eat nice things. The initial investment is higher but will pay for itself in about two years, eliminating the need to have a tire shop take off and put on the tires, each season, reduces wear and tear on the rims and the rubber.
Life in the North is not cheap but this has an added benefit of keeping some of the riff raff out, those who are unprepared usually go home. :D

Nothing much to add to this. ;)

Except that like I said, people here have the option of using all-weather tires too, but most people prefer the option of having two sets of tires.