PDA

View Full Version : Nation’s ’2nd Most Dangerous City’ To Lay Off Nearly Half Of Police Force

Sol Invictus
12-06-2010, 11:54 AM
And with the restrictive gun laws in the region it's literally like throwing the people to the wolves, as a commenter pointed out.

BOB HOLT
NEWJERSEYNEWSROOM.COM
03 DECEMBER 2010

Financial troubles in Camden continue. Despite pleas from local residents, one of the most crime-riddled cities in the United States is about to lay off about half of its public safety forces.

Camden City Council approved the layoff proposal unanimously on Thursday in spite of angry arguments from workers and residents to find a way to save the jobs.

Camden has a small tax base and relies on the state for most of its funding. Meanwhile, New Jersey’s budget cuts have gone statewide.

An Associated Press report from NBC New York said the layoffs are to be effective Jan. 18. The state Civil Service Commission has already approved them.

Union leaders have met with city officials to iron out possible concessions in an attempt to save as many of the 383 targeted positions as possible.

Fire Officers Union President Al Ashley noted 67 firefighters stand to lose their jobs under the current layoff plan. That translates to a safety issue for his staff and the public.

Some blamed council and Mayor Dana Redd for the situation. Others criticized six bargaining units they believe could make concessions to reduce the 383 layoffs called for to close a $26.5-million budget gap.

And others were pointing to Gov. Chris Christie for not fully funding the troubled town.

Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak mentioned that out of nine New Jersey municipalities granted transitional aid, Camden received the largest portion of $159 million in available funding.

"All governments — municipal, school districts, county and state — are having to make do and do better with what they have."

The union Camden Council 10 President Karl Walko heads represents non-uniformed employees from public works employees to clerks and typists. The mantra of "doing more with less" is something Council 10 employees have been doing already, Walko says.

According to philly.com, Walko said 40 percent of the police dispatch unit would be dismissed along with 42 percent of the clerical staff in the courts. He said 25 of the city's 40 laborers would be let go, a loss he said could paralyze the city in a snowstorm.

Despite the state contributing $69 million in aid to Camden — $15 million above what it budgeted — according to the Courier Post, Walko says the layoff plan is "an abandonment of the city and its residents by the state of New Jersey."

Ken Chambers, president of the union that represents Camden's everyday firefighters, said concessions like the ones made already by Council 10 aren't feasible for police and firefighters.

Camden Mayor Dana L. Redd and John Williamson, head of the police officers' union, said in a joint phone call that talks between the city and public safety unions were continuing.

The sides plan to meet over the next several weeks to discuss concessions that would save public-safety jobs in what was recently rated the second-most-dangerous city in the United States, according to the mayor and Williamson.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/state/camdens-massive-layoffs-cause-concern-for-public-safety

Loddfafner
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Not good, considering that Camden is within walking distance. This might explain the drug dealers around the entrance to the subway that leads there. Maybe I had better check out its tourist sites (an aquarium and Walt Whitman's home) while they are still there.

Psychonaut
12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah...

My coworkers who live near Center City are none too happy about this. I can hardly imagine a more irresponsible kind of budget cut.

CelticTemplar
12-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Ok so let me get this strait,

We are going to lay off half of a city's police force, and still pay for things like meter maids, and garbage collection?

I understand that these things are important but between not having to pay for garbage, and having a well numbered and well equipped police force, I would go for the police.

Bloodeagle
12-07-2010, 06:21 AM
If Camden, New Jersey is the 2nd most dangerous city, someone somewhere has failed and I don't think more police will fix the cities problems.
Perhaps, Camden has a bloated, fat and lazy police force that needs to be cut in half so that the others will shape up and get their jobs done in a manner for which they are paid. :rolleyes:

One thing is for certain, if Camden cannot handle its criminals with the few officers that are left and things start to get real ugly, then the Nation Guard will surely step in. Perhaps, this is part of the big picture. ;)

Psychonaut
12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
One thing is for certain, if Camden cannot handle its criminals with the few officers that are left and things start to get real ugly, then the Nation Guard will surely step in. Perhaps, this is part of the big picture. ;)

It would take an act of congress, then authorized by the President, to allow the military to police Camden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act). And given our new congressional makeup, I doubt this will happen.

Bloodeagle
12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
It would take an act of congress, then authorized by the President, to allow the military to police Camden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act). And given our new congressional makeup, I doubt this will happen.
I am just saying that if or when things get out of control, the military does step in. (http://guskova.ru/contact/letters/Grossman#Interventions) :)