PDA

View Full Version : Café charges men 18% 'gender tax' to highlight pay gap

MissMischief
08-08-2017, 10:55 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/08/world/cafe-gender-pay-gap-trnd/index.html

http://i.imgur.com/lJAApom.jpg

A café in Melbourne, Australia, is giving its male customers a side of gender equity with their lattes.

At Handsome Her, men are asked to pay an 18% premium to "reflect the gender pay gap." Men earn an average 17.7% more than women for full-time work in Australia, a government report found. The difference is roughly the same in the United States.

The café, which opened its doors for the first time Thursday, is hoping to shine a spotlight on the issue.

"All we really wanted was to raise awareness and start conversations about the gender gap," Belle Ngien, the café's manager, told CNN. The voluntary donations are collected during one week every month and given to women's charities, Ngien said.

But it didn't take long for the Internet to go crazy over the scheme, with some calling Handsome Her's "gender tax" discriminatory.

Others implied the café would run out of money because it wouldn't attract a wealthy clientele.

Some had constructive criticism, calling the idea divisive despite its good intentions.

But Ngien is unfazed: "Men have their own spaces that we're not allowed in to, so why not have that space for women?"

No one has declined paying the extra 18%, she said. In fact, a few customers -- men and women -- have donated more. "Eighteen percent is actually not a lot. Our coffee is $4, and 18% of that is 72 cents," Ngien said.

Indeed, men have come from across town to support the cause, owner Alex O'Brien said in a Facebook post.

"We've had men travel across town to visit us and pay 'the man tax' and throw some extra in the donation jar," O'Brien wrote, adding, "Guys, you're pretty neat."

MissMischief
08-08-2017, 10:57 PM
This is why I am not a feminist, because it associates me to a group of whack jobs. 3rd wave feminist movement is a joke - it has nothing to do with equality. It's about stripping rights from men and leaving them as spineless, rights-less cucks.

Demon Revival
08-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Why would any self respecting man go to a place like that anyway? :D

Loki
08-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Don't buy there lol, boycott the place. Of course there will be a statistic of cucks who would like to support it. :D

Dick
08-08-2017, 11:52 PM
No doubt they're loving the furor. You know what they say about any publicity being good publicity, especially when it comes to a business to make money. There's obviously a target demographic for this nonsense, albeit a small one.

Oneeye
08-09-2017, 12:03 AM
I'd take a date there on the condition that she paid.

ÁGUIA
08-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Different context. But here (not know if this still happens) some years ago night clubs used to had the so called ladies night. And in what consisted this ladies nights. Men had too pay two or three times more at the entrance, in order to women to get a freebee being at the entrance, plus an x number of drinks for free as well. It was a marketing manouver from them, try to profit at men's lust expense of course. The more the women the more raging hormonal men would follow.

When with friends brainstorming :cool: to where to go partying. My girls friends would without falling come out with the idea let's go to this club cause is ladies night bla bla ...
A good old :fuck:, were my answer all the time to that kind of proposition.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-09-2017, 12:21 AM
There is no gender pay gap and this manner of promoting the business will back fire on them. They will be out of business in less than a year. They were probably going out of business already and someone suggested this nonsense to draw attention.

I feel bad for women but only because they bleed every month and because I can easily put my fist through their face. I don't feel sorry for them if they earn less because they get knocked up, or go into fields that pay less than fields men typically join or arent as aspie as men in that men are more willing to put in more hours at work.

Sometimes, bros... Sometimes.... I look at a woman and think... her head would go flying like a baseball if I head kicked her. That makes me sad. That makes me feel bad for them.

Anthony PV
08-09-2017, 12:35 AM
I'd take a date there on the condition that she paid.
That's an idea... Straight couples should go there and arrange between themselves so the girlfriend pay the note at the end... Just to see the café owner's reaction...

Oneeye
08-09-2017, 12:42 AM
That's an idea... Straight couples should go there and arrange between themselves so the girlfriend pay the note at the end... Just to see the café owner's reaction...

Hey, strong independent women can have that equality.

War Chef
08-09-2017, 01:25 AM
The internet makes it easy to be cynical at the world. I'd like to think people like this are a minority (& I do think I'm right).

TenaciousTopologist
08-09-2017, 01:27 AM
wage gap isnt a thing

Demon Revival
08-09-2017, 03:26 AM
wage gap isnt a thing

Anal gap is a more serious problem than wage gap.

Bobby Martnen
01-03-2018, 09:35 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/08/world/cafe-gender-pay-gap-trnd/index.html

http://i.imgur.com/lJAApom.jpg

Why would any man in his right mind want to go to a place like this?

Kazimiera
01-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Why would any man in his right mind want to go to a place like this?

A man in his right mind wouldn't.

Kazimiera
01-03-2018, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't go there either.

Loki
01-03-2018, 10:37 PM
I think Migla would have liked and supported this. :p

Peterski
01-03-2018, 10:42 PM
A man in his right mind wouldn't.

But a man in his left mind would.

Kazimiera
01-03-2018, 11:09 PM
But a man in his left mind would.

Only a man OUT of his mind would. But then it's debatable what a man even is these days.

Kazimiera
01-03-2018, 11:12 PM
I think Migla would have liked and supported this. :p

It's only a matter of time before CrazyDaisy wearing her new SJW glasses sidles up to the counter to order a decaf...

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-03-2018, 11:22 PM
So did they go out of business?

Dandelion
01-03-2018, 11:22 PM
According to google reviews, men do go there and the food is even good.

But there are many places like that and better that don't go by such nonsense rules.

Dandelion
01-03-2018, 11:26 PM
And here is how the place and owners look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuSW7Rkfjcw