PDA

View Full Version : Estonian Communications Providers Hit by Second Crash

esaima
12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
EMT and Elion, two of Estonia's largest communications providers, experienced extensive technical problems with internet, cell phone and land line services on the morning of December 1.

An IP network break caused systems to go down at 9:58, according to EMT press representative Kaja Sepp, who could not say how long it would take to fix the problem. Forty minutes later, some phones calls could be made, but text messaging service was slow.

By 11:00, EMT clients could call other cell phone networks and land lines, but the 3.5G network was still not functioning. The Rescue Service advised clients to remove sim cards to make calls to the emergency number, 112.

Customers of Elion, which shares much of its infrastructure with EMT, also experienced difficulty with internet and phone communications.

On November 17, Elion was hit by what it described as the biggest system failure in the company's history. The company's Chief Technical Officer Kalev Reiljan had said the problem was caused by a rare, "one in a billion“ programming error. The disruption caused 50 ATM machines to stop working. Elion ruled out the possibility of a cyber attack, but said sabotage was possible.

Elion and EMT are both affiliated with Eesti Telekom, which was bought out from the state and minority shareholders last year by TeliaSonera AB.

http://news.err.ee/Sci-Tech/fdde2ad6-8511-4969-99cf-df1a5c7973d7

Äike
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
This is rather disturbing, when it happens in a high-tech dependent country like Estonia. As people need to access e-banking, e-school, e-et cetera.

poiuytrewq0987
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
This event just points out how a society should never totally switch to e-everything because in today's age they're easily broken like a toothpick is easily broken.

EWtt
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I remember there were some conspiracy theories about it being involved with some sort of NATO cyber defense event that took place at the very time and dealt with the effects of losing internet access and such stuff. :P Of course the service providers denied involvement. Anyways, that morning I lost my internet as well, but I really didn't think it affected the whole country when it initially occurred.

esaima
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it didn´t affected the whole country and my internet was normal on the morning of that day because if I am not wrong I remember I read about it via internet:D

Äike
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
This event just points out how a society should never totally switch to e-everything because in today's age they're easily broken like a toothpick is easily broken.

If such events wouldn't be extremely rare, then you wouldn't currently be reading about it.

esaima
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Extremely rare? Two such events within 2 weeks in our nordid/nordic wsoe digiparadise.Or a Kremlin conspiracy against nordic overmen?;)

The Ripper
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Without commenting on the Nordickness of your internyets, I'd just like to say that I think being completely reliant on this seemingly vulnerable / fragile tech is not good.

Äike
12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Extremely rare? Two such events within 2 weeks in our nordid/nordic wsoe digiparadise.Or a Kremlin conspiracy against nordic overmen?;)

You're making it sound like, that such events would happen with 2 week intervals. In reality, a major event like this has never happened before.