PDA

View Full Version : Asatru, Odinism, NeoPaganism

Hume de Bruyn
11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Asatru is a Neopagan movement inspired by Germanic polytheism, in particular the Norse paganism as described in the Eddas. In Germany, the term Asatru is used in the wider sense of Germanic neopaganism.
http://www.geocities.com/asatru_oesterreich/runrngravTsm.jpg
Asatru is a group of Norse gods. - in icelandic: asa - tru: faith - asa tru
PHpz5Bq1ekU

The 9 Noble Virtues form the back bone of Odinism and are the guide lines to which a true follower should live by:

Odinic Rite:

1 - Courage
2 - Truth
3 - Honour
4 - Fidelity
5 - Discipline
6 - Hospitality
7 - Self Reliance
8 - Industriousness
9 - Perseverance

Asatru Folk Assembly:

Strength is better than weakness
Courage is better than cowardice
Joy is better than guilt
Honour is better than dishonour
Freedom is better than slavery
Kinship is better than alienation
Kinship is better than alienation
Realism is better than dogmatism
Vigor is better than lifelessness
Ancestry is better than universalism

courage - a quality of spirit that enables you to face danger or pain without showing fear
truth - a fact that has been verified
honour - Principled uprightness of character; personal integrity
loyalty - A feeling or attitude of devoted attachment and affection.
hospitality - kindness in welcoming guests or strangers
discipline - Controlled behavior resulting from disciplinary training; self-control.
industriousness - persevering determination to perform a task
self-reliance - personal independence
perseverance - Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose

The Nine Charges were, like the Nine Noble Virtues, codified by the Odinic Rite in the 1970s:

To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.
Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.
To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.
To remember the respect that is due to great age.
To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.
To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.
To give kind heed to dead men: straw dead, sea dead or sword dead.
To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.

Aodhan
09-06-2015, 02:54 AM
bump

Neon Knight
09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I used to read about it years ago but never joined any groups. It doesn't seem to have much theology to it, being mostly about moral guidance.

http://www.odinic-rite.org/main/

http://www.odinic-rite.org/main/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/OR-badge-300x300.jpg

http://www.odinistfellowship.co.uk/

But I thought by now that neo-paganism would have more of a following in the West than it does. It hasn't taken off for some reason.

Dombra
09-06-2015, 09:38 AM
OP looks a bit like nihilist/übermensch :)

XenophobicPrussian
09-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Those Asatru Folk Assembly ideals are pretty solid. Still don't know what those or any other values have to do with a magical being(or multiple magic beings) in the sky, though.

Also, does every Asatru group follow those ideals? The Icelandic one(they even built their own temple in Reykjavik) said Asatru is the opposite of racism and that they're all a bunch of liberal hippies, but the last and third last on that list look to me like racist(using the liberal definition) ideals.

Volfied
08-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Those Asatru Folk Assembly ideals are pretty solid. Still don't know what those or any other values have to do with a magical being(or multiple magic beings) in the sky, though.

the belief in magical beings dwelling on the sky it's more of a symbolic thing, like keeping the fire of our ancestors souls alive.
The gods are a metaphor for nature.
At least that's how I see it