PDA

View Full Version : Stop and search at work.

Beorn
12-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I was stopped today whilst leaving work by the security accompanied by the site management. It was a "random stop and search" (which is akin to saying "hey, you look like a cunt, can I look under your hat to see if it is written on your forehead?") and I had to comply.

Now, I know that is utter BS. You can't stop and search any individual without the presence of at least a lawyer and only the police can search you with due suspicion.

I said to the Nigerian and the top brass that was doing this that I will gladly be stopped and searched but where was the solicitor and the police? The Nigerian looked confused and the top brass looked bewildered. I said again that I would not be searched unless I had a solicitor and police officer present.

I repeated this a few times and each time they looked just as stupid and bewildered as the last time I said it. I eventually did show them my bag, but I made sure only I touched my bag.

Question is: Can I sue them or raise a complaint citing article 8 of the Human Rights Act of 1998?

I know they are breaking the law already by conducting stop and searches without first allowing contractors to sign and accept agreements, so was wondering if I can get them on that technicality as well?

Imperivm
12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
I had this at my old job. I just acted like the biggest dickhead possible to piss then off. God they hated me. Being able to be a posh cunt with ease is a great strength, it REALLY gets to people.

Sol Invictus
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
It sucks but it's completely legal only because it is private property, and according to the law, security staff are given permission to enforce property laws on their landlord's behalf so it's ultimately up to them to say what can and cannot be done on his property, and this includes stop-and-searches.

You may have a case if it is not clearly stated that one of the conditions of employment is that you are subject to random searches at the end of the day while on the premises, in which case they would probably terminate you if you refuse to be searched and you can sue them for Unlawful Dismissal. Other than that, no.

If it was public property and you were searched without cause by agents of the State, then it would be a violation of your human rights.

SwordoftheVistula
12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
We have this where I work too, we even are required to only use clear plastic lunch bags, and can't bring them out into the main work area.

The last such place I worked at, people would steal stuff and carry it out in their coolers & lunch bags, so I can understand this policy.